Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Why should I upgrade to the new PCI Pro Tools HD System???

I currently have a 3 card HD system running on a G5 Dual 1.8 running PT7.4. I have some tax return money and considering upgrading to the Core 8 intel version. I will have to buy new computer & PT upgrade. Cost approx 8K. What would be the reason to do this? Should I wait? Any advice? I know I could but needed hardware equipment and the investment would be much greater.
Thanks
JE
Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Why should I upgrade to the new PCI Pro Tools HD System?

Not a wise investment IMHO.

You're still running a very fast computer on a system (HD) that barely uses the computer for processing.

The PCI to PCIe upgrade kinda sucks. It's not Digidesign's fault.

Mac changed the computer.

It did help drive the price down of a PCI system which is still the better value.

I would wait until you absolutely NEED a faster computer.

It's just too big of a hit IMHO.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Or get a Magma chassis. They now work on the Intel Macs with Leopard and PT7.4 with multiple cards
Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 PM

I'm in the exact same situation. Regular HD3 on a Dual 1.8. Everything is fine and I rarely have to get into too many RTAS plugs because of DSP issues. I'm perfectly content to skip Accel entirely and go to whatever is next provided it comes in the next 2 years or so or until I start to need more power.

So.... what's wrong with your current setup? What can't it do that you need it to?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 PM

The only reason I can see to do this upgrade is if you need more host processor power for Virtual instruments. . . you may find it more stable to run a secondary computer for that purpose and it would be less expensive, however less integrated.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:54 PM

...unless you start mixing a lot of 88.2kHz/96kHz sessions. With pretty large track counts and high sample rates you will eat through dsp pretty quickly...I found with a HD 3 and track counts around 60-80 I was using 1.5 cards just for the mix engine and delay comp after I got done setting up my routing. Then, for the most part, every plug-in takes up twice the dsp; so things go fast. I chose to buy the expansion chassis and add more accel cards; I think it's a better investment, especially when now you can pick up a PCI accel for around $1800...you also can get a PCIe card for the expansion chassis if you really need to get a new computer without having to do the card exchange.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM

No reason you'd NEED to upgrade for ProTools... unless you need that machine to do something else???