Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-16-2008, 06:07 AM

Unhappy I need to split midi track per channel (Tracks)

I have a Midi track which contain several midi channels, I need to split these channels in there several tracks so they no longer one track. How do I split this into separate track per midi channel? I have done this back in PTS 7.0 I now use PTS 7.3 CS7. I have found a menu function which split per pitch however I need to split per channel. Nuendo have a function called Dissolve parts, as well one can import midi files as Format 0 or 1. Is this possible with PTS 7.3 now still, I have done this back with PTS7.0 now with PTS 7.3 thing have changed and I cannot seem to find this function.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Re: I need to split midi track per channel (Tracks)

andre67, are you able to export that SMF as a Type 1 file from Nuendo?

Pro Tools should seperate that data by channel when using either Drag and Drop or Importing MIDI command.

filosofem
Old 09-17-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
andre67, are you able to export that SMF as a Type 1 file from Nuendo?

Pro Tools should seperate that data by channel when using either Drag and Drop or Importing MIDI command.

filosofem
I have recorded midi in PTS, into one track. I do not want to import a file in for example Nuendo to do the job . I do not want to use Nuendo to do this functions. Is it Possible to do this in PTS??????
Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 AM

Not by Channel as far as I know.

filosofem
Old 09-17-2008, 04:18 AM

Angry Re: I need to split midi track per channel (Tracks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Not by Channel as far as I know.

filosofem
This is a basic midi feature which all DAW’s have incorporated why is it that PTS do not have this included. Even importing as a midi file format 0 and 1 is standard in the industry why it is the most basic features are not included in PTS???
Something as basic as this why a package as PTS that do not have these features is beyond my comprehension. I would love to know from Digi why this is because usually they would come up with all sorts of excuses never own up or take responsibility for some small they have not included or simply neglected.
Others on this forum would say why you would record various parts (midi channels) into one track; this is just to cover your questions. Very simple everything is all about easy and quick work flow. Off hand when I start I do not know what and which channels transmit from the keyboard so I select all (midi channels) on one track, in order to quickly record instead of setting up tracks and figuring out which transmit from the keyboard or not and so on. In Nuendo this feature is called “Dissolve Parts” PTS have a split function too, except split per pitch Please Digi includes split per channels as well. Now I have to use Nuendo to dissolve parts and then import back into PTS. How foolish is this to use another DAW to do a very most basic feature as this which is a given on all DAW’s EXCEPT PTS of cause.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre67 View Post
I have done this back in PTS 7.0
No, you haven't. This feature has never been available in Pro Tools. Ever.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 AM

Unhappy Re: I need to split midi track per channel (Tracks)

Digi please I ask you please implement the Midi split by midi channel, you are half way there with the split by pitch which you have in PTS already. It would be a bonus if you along with that make available to import and export midi file 0 & 1 as well please. I record various midi parts into one midi track so all midi channels are recorded into one track, this function all midi channels is a function and a feature in PTS, this is all been transmitted via a midi keyboard everything is all about easy and quick work flow. Off hand I start, I do not know what and which channels transmit from the keyboard so I select all not a single midi channel into one track, in order to quickly record instead of setting up many and or various tracks in order figuring out which midi channels transmit from the keyboard or not and so on. How foolish is this to use another DAW for example (Nuedno) to split my channels which is a basic function in many other DAWS’ EXCEPT PTS of cause. It is easier for me to use just PTS for my editing functions; I do not want to go back and forwards to edit on another DAW something basic which I have recorded in PTS in the first place.
Digi Please, it would be great if you could implement this for all of us, I am sure there are many of us that work with midi in PTS this would bring us one closer to a greater midi environment in PTS.
What other way is there to do this function if one do not use another DAW, How do the other user out there cope with this, I would love to know?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmar View Post

I´m a former Cubase user and sometimes i miss something, but in the long run
it´s mostly a question of another workflow.
In your case you have to export the midi channel by channel from "the other"
prog. Then import in PT nicely lined up.
Midi is fast to export so it won´t take to much time for you.

In the meanwhile we can hope that Digi is popping in here from time to time
and when the moment are there get´s to working on that code.

Well, my 2 cent´s.

Peter
I get what you saying, however in this case it is not a case of getting use to a way of working and or function, What other way is there to do this function in PTS if one do not use another DAW, How do the other users out there cope with this, I would love to know?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Avid

Quote:
I have recorded midi in PTS, into one track.
My first question would be - why?

Typically you would create multiple MIDI tracks, with their inputs set to the different MIDI channels you wanted to record from, avoiding this predicament.

If you need a utility to convert from a type 0 (single track, multiple channels) to type 1 (multiple tracks, single channels), here's a link to a page with several options:

http://www.gnmidi.com/gnfreeen.htm
Old 09-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
My first question would be - why?

Typically you would create multiple MIDI tracks, with their inputs set to the different MIDI channels you wanted to record from, avoiding this predicament.

If you need a utility to convert from a type 0 (single track, multiple channels) to type 1 (multiple tracks, single channels), here's a link to a page with several options:

http://www.gnmidi.com/gnfreeen.htm
I record various midi parts into one midi track, WHY: some projects required that I use a keyboard which would enable me to record and get parts program quickly so these parts are transmitting into various midi channels instead of figuring out how many parts (midi channels) which would be or is transmitted. I use the all receiving midi channel function on the track (PTS7.3) which capture all these channels in one go, one midi track without me having to set-up various midi track which would be from 1 to 16 and not all the midi channels would necessarily be transmit from 1 to 16, this depend on the song and or arrangements, only some would be used at each given time and would then change from the one song to the other depending on the arrangements. I do not know each time what and which channels would transmit from the keyboard, the all function on PTS helps me with smooth and quick work flow without having to setup 16 midi tacks each time which takes up time and space on the screen, clouding the mix view, so I select all (midi channels) not a single midi channel whereby I record all transmitted midi channels from the keyboard into one midi track. In order not to figuring out which midi channels transmit from the keyboard or not and so on. This function all midi channels is a function and feature in PTS 7.3 already. Various DAWS’ have split by midi channels as there most basic function, the terminology changes from one DAW to the other for example “Nuedno 3” calls this function “ Dissolve part” this is there most basic feature, and the fact that it is there speak for itself including various other DAW’s. Now if I want to extract my midi channels from my PTS 7.3 project (recorded track), I have to export the midi track (file) to “Nuendo 3” use a function called “Dissolve parts” save the file as midi format 1 then import it back into PTS 7.3. I would love to do all my editing in PTS 7.3 and not use another DAW for some as basic as this. You are half way there with this function already in PTS 7.3; you have and call this split by pitch function already you just need to ad split by channel.
I hope I made myself clear, as well as hopefully this give insight to the way an important part something as small and basic as this would make a huge difference in the midi editing and work flow in PTS7.3.