Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 PM

Default 10/11HD with pcie

I have purchased a Mac Pro 10.8.6 with 2 PCIe cards... it was running 10HD.. I have already been using a G5 rig with PCIx cards running PT's 8... I have a Control24, an Apogee 800 for 8 additional inputs... I want to run PT10HD, but have to buy the 10/11.. I simply want 10, I don't care about 11 at this time... I'm being told by some dealers that if I buy 10/11HD I have to buy additional hardware... I don't get it. If I buy this, does 10 not work with the rig I just purchased? why the new hardware... can someone explain this to me please....
Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM

Default Re: 10/11HD with pcie

Any decent dealer (like Sweetwater or Vintage King Nashville) should be able to explain this to you very clearly, it is absolutely basic stuff. If your dealer could not explain this in one phone call you have entirely the wrong dealer/sales rep. on the other hand you also might not want to listen to what they are trying to tell you...

Start by putting down any sharp objects.

Pro Tools HD software is not sold stand-alone, the only way to purchase it from Avid currently is bundled with Pro Tools HD Native or Pro Tools HDX hardware. That is likely what any dealers mean, and extremely well known about and widely discussed on DUC and elsewhere. The time to worry about all this should have been before you purchased this used Mac Pro system--and if you have not actually paid for it you may want to send it back. The seller likely kept their HD license/used it for an upgrade to HD 11 and likely fully understood what pain they were going to inflict on you and should have warned you about this had they been honest folk.

And no, before you even ask, you cannot use Pro Tools (non-HD) with HD/TDM hardware.

So now your options are to spend the several $k+ and buy a HD Native card and either use that with HD, or buy a used Pro Tools HD 10 license. And there you run into the EULA restriction on unbundling/selling Pro Tools HD licensees (what your seller did to you) and Avid's enforcement of this restriction means if you do go that route you must purchase the HD license on an iLok from the seller and there is no guarantee that you will qualify for future upgrades etc. You might also be able to buy a Pro Tools 11/10 (non HD) bundle and buy a used CPTK license and use the Avid promotional PT+CPTK to HD upgrade. But since you have a PTHD 8 license on the old G5 system you can also use that to upgrade that to Pro Tools HD 10 from HD 8 for $1,500 (see the Avid website online store for details). And you will be surrendering that HD 8 license in the upgrade so no longer able to run on the G5.

And if you do sort out a license you need to make sure the exact version of PT 10.x.x that you want to run is supported on your exact OS X release. etc. And you should of course wipe and reisntall OS X on a used system unless you know for sure this has already been done.

And your umm description of exactly what you are doing is not very clear. If you want help here you should explain exactly what you have and what you are trying to do so that an average audio monkey has a chance of grasping the banana. You got what exact PCIe cards? Core and Accel? And they are known to work OK? And you have a Control 24 and an Apogee 800, well the Control 24 is not an interface, and the Apogee 800 is providing 8 extra inputs (via ADAT?), but it is driving that into to what HD compatible interface? Your signature says xHD card, so you just have the Apogee 800, so is it just providing 8 inputs not providing any "additional inputs" or what?

And hopefully you know that Pro Tools 10 is the last version that supports the Control 24.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-19-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim carter View Post
I have purchased a Mac Pro 10.8.6 with 2 PCIe cards... it was running 10HD.. I have already been using a G5 rig with PCIx cards running PT's 8... I have a Control24, an Apogee 800 for 8 additional inputs... I want to run PT10HD, but have to buy the 10/11.. I simply want 10, I don't care about 11 at this time... I'm being told by some dealers that if I buy 10/11HD I have to buy additional hardware... I don't get it. If I buy this, does 10 not work with the rig I just purchased? why the new hardware... can someone explain this to me please....
That is Avid's policy these days. You can buy the retail version off eBay for 1400, both PTHD 10 & 11.

It's very hard to find PTHD10 alone these days, I spent months looking, ended up buying both.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

Just to clarify one thing, there still is an upgrade from Pro Tools HD 7 or 8 to HD 10 on the Avid store:
Home > Audio & Music Creation > Pro Tools > Software
Quote:
Pro Tools 10 HD Upgrade From 7/8
Please note: These items DO NOT include a free copy of Pro Tools 11 HD. If you are using Pro Tools HD 8 or lower, you will need to upgrade your Legacy HD core systems by purchasing a hardware exchange from an authorized Avid dealer. These will include a copy of Pro Tools HD 11.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Now didn't some other tall dark stranger here mention that already
Old 04-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Now didn't some other tall dark stranger here mention that already
DOH! Since your post was so complete, I missed that line you wrote...
Quote:
But since you have a PTHD 8 license on the old G5 system you can also use that to upgrade that to Pro Tools HD 10 from HD 8 for $1,500 (see the Avid website online store for details). And you will be surrendering that HD 8 license in the upgrade so no longer able to run on the G5.
I picked a bad week to give up poppers.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Ha. Sometimes "never give up" is good advice.

I do get concerned by these type of issues if dealers/sales reps really do not/cannot explain things well. My experience is that good sales reps will understand and explain this stuff clearly. It is more of a worry if they maybe some reps don't understand or are just trying to blow off somebody they don't think is a sales prospect. Kind of why it is interesting to know exactly what is said in these circumstances "Sorry but Avid just does not sell Pro Tools HD licenses unbundled from their hardware" would be a good way for a sales rep to start a conversation.

It makes sense for Avid to offer Pro Tools HD/TDM legacy users a path to Pro Tools HD 10 for a long time, but I wonder why resellers who can sell other upgrades cannot also sell that. It discourages channel sales reps from offering that to purchasers (and maybe even knowing it is an option at all). Kind of a good channel strategy to make sure that _everything_ is available though sales channel partners.

Darryl
Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 PM

Neither dealer I spoke with ever mentioned there was an upgrade from 8 to 10... and I asked specifically. And by the way, I've been using a 192 with this rig... sorry I left out that little detail... I've been a PT's user for years, and have spent 10's of thousands of dollars, and it upsets me too that I was not told about the 10 upgrade..
Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Default 10/11HD with pcie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
DOH! I picked a bad week to give up poppers.

Wasn't the line to ' I picked a bad week to give up amphetamine's'

Hahaha

On topic what's the price to upgrade to 10HD from 8HD?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Maybe less meds and more reading the thread. The price is already discussed above