Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Default HELP! Mixing for TV

Alright so I am mixing a TV show and I have been given the following specs:

a. The audio dynamic range of program material must be suitable for television broadcast. Guidelines: Instantaneous audio peaks shall not exceed +10dB over operating level, average peaks should not exceed +2dB, and average sustained dialog should not be less than -8dB.

b. The minimum acceptable audio test signal shall be a steady 1000Hz tone. This tone shall represent the "0" reference level of the program material as read on a standard RMSVU meter or Peak VU meter.

Ok so the way I am doing this is, setting up my reference tone at -20dB PEAK. Therefore my Bomb Factory Essential VU meter is set to -20 and Peak settings. My tone reads 0 on my VU meter which is correct.

Now, if I understand correctly I have to keep my average audio at 0VU (-20dB). My problem is when I actually do this(by Limiting/compressing), the VU meter only ocassionally hits 0VU. It just dances around pretty close most of the time. Is this correct? Or will my audio be rejected for having too low a level?

Now. Just to clear everything up for me. According to the guidelines, my peaks shouldnt go over +2dB, would this mean -18dB in my case being my 0VU is set to -20dB?

Ill really appreciate all the help you can throw my way.

Thanks

B
Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: HELP! Mixing for TV

Here's what everything means in English:

Quote:

a. The audio dynamic range of program material must be suitable for television broadcast. Guidelines: Instantaneous audio peaks shall not exceed +10dB over operating level, average peaks should not exceed +2dB, and average sustained dialog should not be less than -8dB.

Put a limiter (i.e. L1/L2/L3/Lwhatever) at -10. Don't let anything... I mean anything go over that

Your VU (hence "average") needle should never go above -18 Full Scale or +2 VU

During Dialog, your VU meter shouldn't dance anywhere below -28 Full Scale or -8 VU

Quote:

b. The minimum acceptable audio test signal shall be a steady 1000Hz tone. This tone shall represent the "0" reference level of the program material as read on a standard RMSVU meter or Peak VU meter.

Tone = 1k @ -20 (standard when you open up the Signal Generator in Pro Tools)
Your VU meter will point at 0

Quote:

Now, if I understand correctly I have to keep my average audio at 0VU (-20dB). My problem is when I actually do this(by Limiting/compressing), the VU meter only ocassionally hits 0VU. It just dances around pretty close most of the time. Is this correct? Or will my audio be rejected for having too low a level?

That is correct.

Quote:

Now. Just to clear everything up for me. According to the guidelines, my peaks shouldnt go over +2dB, would this mean -18dB in my case being my 0VU is set to -20dB?

Yes.

What network is this for?

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
/// Sound Designer/Mixer @ Defacto \\\ Twitter Facebook
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM

Hey Dallas, thanks a lot for your post, very helpful. I think I had things straight but your post really created a full understanding.

This is for Latin America, freelance gig for an independent production company, not even sure what network the show actually belongs to. Still, once again thanks a lot for your help.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM

Hi Bangha,

Just as a note... the Bomb Factory meter has been nicknamed the "Essentially USELESS Meter" - it is really NOT accurate. While NOTHING will beat a hardware meter, the PSP Vintage Meter is both free and fairly accurate (at least as measured against my Phase 3 VU). I'd use that instead...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 08-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Regarding meter plugin, I would also recommend the free Massey Tools (http://www.smassey.com/plugin.html)
It reacts almost like a Dorrough hardware meter.

But it only works with PT 7 on OS X though.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Love the ProTools Phase Scope! LEQA is fantastic...emulates the LM100 pretty good. I usually solo my narration or dialogue and get it to -27 on the LEQ(A) which is discovery specs. However, in contrast to the LM100 it doesn't detect the intrinsic level of dialogue within L/R or 5.1 mix (as far as I know an exclusive technology of Dolby Digital) so it's not PERFECT. It's not exactly like the LM100 but it's close enough.

Only downside with the TDM Phasescope is it hogs a big chunk of your LCD screen. That's just my 2 cents worth. I prefer everything digital on my screen vs. old-skool meters that sit on my desk. Plus Phasescope is free; always a plus!

Nathan
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM

also free and very good:

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/inspector.html

is -10 dbFS where the limiter should be? I've been doing -8 lately (and getting just about perfect -18dbFS RMS) ... not for broadcast yet though. Should I back off a bit?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:14 AM

sorry to bust in, great thread.., does the limiter go on the master fader??

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-02-2007, 01:42 PM

Hi,

I have to agree with both Nathan & Howard, earlier in this thread.

I've never found the bomb factory meters to be acurate, they always seem to be about 2db off.
(just my personal experience with it)

Digi's free plug-in PHASESCOPE (part of signaltools) has proven to be reliable and accurate for me.
I also use analogue VU meters, but have found phasescope to show the same information acurately.
and best of all it's free.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:33 PM

Hey Manis,

Yes, you can put it on the Master Fader as the last insert in the chain. Alternately you can put it on the record track or monitor aux if you are using Record to Track as opposed to Bounce to Disk.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada