Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 05:06 PM

Default Re: The Daily Adventures of Mixerman

tlester - Your motivation seems noble enough - but, been there, done that. If you think about it, a recording musician might not want the kind of freedom your advocating or might not thrive from it. Sometimes, sure, but in my experience it's not necesarily a good starting point.
If my job is to record a band, their job is to play the music. If I give them freedom I give them responsibility. I think is generally works better if I take care of the responsibility bit. The songs are already written, the arrangements are mostly done and the band has most likely already played and polished their songs for some time. The best they can do is play, the worst is if they develop doubts and over-criticise their performances. It is my experience that this easily happens if I keep asking the band what they think, what they want. There is a time for that, but not while making an album. When I record with an artist I always expect them to do their best. If they don't I pull the plug right there. Go for a break, take the day off, whatever.
I don't record 20-40 takes on everything and I don't always ask the musicians what they think. I want them focused on their own work, not involved in mine. I'm not afraid to let the artist in on my side, and I do. I just take care when and only do it if I know the artist can take it and maintain their balance.

Don't think I'm a power mad flash dude, quite the opposite - I'm merely pointing out that I think there's a time for everything, and a job for everyone.

Ben
Old 08-04-2002, 05:12 PM

tlester,

I agree whole heartedly about the performance and vibe being paramount.

If MM had listened to the drums in the room and made decisions based on that, and tried to make the band feel as comfortable as possible, would you still not want to work with him?

[Benjamin]

good points...
Old 08-04-2002, 08:31 PM

tlester,
I think you need to go and re-read the first installment. MM did listen to the drums in the room before going to the control room. Yes, he did specify instrument placement, mics and such, but I would think that has a little something to do with experience. He listened to demos of the band, knew a couple of the members, and as far as I can tell had a pretty good idea as to what sounds he was wanting to try to get to match the music.
That's one of the reasons guys like him get the big bucks! They know what to do, and more importantly, what to use to get the desired result.
Just my .02
Mitch
Old 08-06-2002, 12:26 AM
Apogee Digital

Great read. Thanks, Fletcher.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitronick:
I also have a sneaking suspicion that this may be leading up to the -6db below 50hz thing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would not be the least bit surprised.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:53 AM

The interesting thing here is that everyone has been through scenes like this and probably from both angles. Sounds like a 'paycheck' gig to me.
That means a lot smiling and checking the mailbox.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:06 AM

I take it that Alsihad is mixermans name for protools? What is the origin of this alias?
Old 08-07-2002, 09:30 AM

ooops I guess I should have read the the "pre" thread first.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:55 AM

Lee Blaske
What planet do you live on??? This stuff goes on everyday. Do you do music or post?
Old 08-07-2002, 01:00 PM

There's something pleasurable about reading Mixerman pining for ProTools in today's entry.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Closed Thread