Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Default Desktop & laptop running PT10 / 11?

Hi,

I'd like some advice on:
a) the compatability of the desktop system I've been looking at with PT10/11
b) choosing a suitable laptop to run comparatively non-demanding PT10/11 sessions
c) the process of crossgrading from PT8 LE to PT10/11
EDIT: d) whether buying a desktop Windows computer and a Windows laptop is actually the most cost-efficient and practical configuration for what I need (see below for context) and what other options I should consider

Context:
  • I have a HP desktop PC (spec available if required) running PT8 LE with a Digidesign 003 Rack Factory, all purchased in 2008. I also own a Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL.
  • I use PT to write music, gradually building sessions from initial ideas with MIDI instruments to full productions.
  • I record and mix music for a handful of bands.
  • I record in multiple locations and have been taking my desktop PC, interface, keyboard, mouse and monitor to wherever I've been recording. It's a pain frequently unplugging and moving a desktop PC.
  • There's quite a big risk factor with moving my base (and only) system frequently.
  • I spend a lot of time on trains and in tour vans just listening to music, when I would prefer to be writing.

I'd like to buy:
  1. A new desktop audio workstation.
  2. The crossgrade from PT8 LE to PT10/11, with the intention of running PT10 until my third party plugin developers offer AAX versions.
  3. A laptop that can run PT10/11 to record and write with. I wouldn't use the laptop for intensive mix sessions so it wouldn't have to be the highest spec laptop on the market - I would only use the laptop for multitrack recording and writing, using a handful of instances of virtual instruments and other plugins

DESKTOP
Firstly, this is the desktop I've been looking at:
http://3xs.scan.co.uk/configurator/3...ction-computer

I don't know a lot about computers. I just know I don't want to have to be buying another computer in the next few years, so I'd like to get bang for my buck. I'd spend a maximum of £1000 ($1700 / €1200), so I thought I'd upgrade the basic system with the overclocked 4690K CPU, 16GB RAM, 1GB NVIDIA graphics, 250GB Samsung SSD system drive, 1TB WD Black storage drive, FW400 & 800 card and Edimax EW-7811Un WiFi adapter.
These seem like future-proofing upgrades, bringing the total to £975.17 (excluding delivery).

Would PT10/11 work on this system?

LAPTOP
Secondly, choosing a laptop. My budget for this is approx £400 ($670 / €490), but the cheaper the better. This laptop would have to be stable running PT10/11, but I would only be using the laptop for multitrack recording and writing music.
An example of the kind of laptop I have been looking at is the Lenovo ThinkPad E545:
http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-...SX.html?src=12

Would PT10/11 work on this system?
Like I said, I don't know much about computers. The only problem I can see with that laptop spec is that I'd need a separate drive for an audio drive, but I have read somewhere that external drives can be used if connected using the correct bus system. Is this correct?

PT CROSSGRADE
Finally, crossgrading from PT8 LE to PT10/11. I read somewhere that the crossgrade installation process requires a serial code from my Avid interface. I'm assuming this serial code isn't one use, as I'd like to install PT on my new desktop AND my laptop (and switch the iLok between them). Will I have any issues here?

Eager to hear any and all advice,
ER.

Last edited by EmbraceRandom; 06-08-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Desktop & laptop running PT10 / 11

The following is essential and will get you going in the right direction:
Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 PM

Please see my signature below. I have two Dells Desktop and Laptop both out of the box and they run Pro Tools 11 perfect. (I don't use PT10 at all anymore) I have upgraded the OS and RAM in the Desktop but only because its older and came with Vista and 4GB of Ram. But my best advise whatever you end up getting when you load software, plug-ins, or do any kind of upgrade do them both at the same time to make sure both systems are the same at all times. You don't want to move a project from the desktop to the laptop and find out you don't have and plug-in or upgrade in the laptop that you have in the desktop.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 AM

Thank you both.

Before I respond to what you've both posted, I've amended the first post with another question that I would like answering before I continue:
Is buying a desktop Windows computer and a Windows laptop actually the most cost-efficient and practical configuration for what I need (see context in first post) and what other options I should consider?

One other option is to build a Hackintosh instead of buying a pre-built desktop computer.
I've spent the last couple of hours on tonymacx86.com. I've never been a Mac owner and don't want to buy one, but I do appreciate the opinion that Mac OS' seems to be less "clunky" running PT. However, building my own computer scares me. Nevertheless, this would cost approximately the same as the Scan desktop I had been looking at.

Another option is to buy a £1300 (ish) laptop that could be both my base and portable system, but then I've heard PT doesn't generally get along with laptops as base systems and I'd be putting all my eggs in one basket.

Now, in response to your posts - thanks again.

Shane, I read through all those links (although not all 500+ pages of the first link, obviously). All I can deduce from them is that everyone seems to be building i7 systems rather than the i5 4690K that I'd get with the Scan desktop, but I have no idea what this infers.
The recommended systems by Avid seems moot considering lots of people (including yourself I believe) run PT just fine on systems not officially tested.
Also, the PT system requirements are rather threadbare - 8GB RAM recommended and W7/8 64-bit OS with nothing else specified.

justus1900, after looking at your specs I figured that if I was to get a Dell, I would get one of the Avid-tested Dell PCs, or one of the Avid-tested HP ones.
The Avid-tested T3600 is no longer available so technically the T3610 isn't Avid-tested.
Furthermore, the T3610 is approximately the same price as the Scan desktop I posted, but it has a way inferior spec as far as I can tell; it only has 8GB RAM and 1 x 500GB HDD.

The Avid-approved HP desktops in my price range are the Z220 at £837 and the Z420 at £927. Both of these only have 4GB RAM and 1 x 500GB HDD.

Please tell me if you disagree, but surely it makes more sense to build a much higher-spec desktop following advice in these forums (and possibly the tonymacx86 forums if building a Hackintosh is the best solution) than buying an Avid-tested but way inferior desktop for the same price?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
ER.

EDIT: Shane, I've just read the first several pages of the "Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!" in which you posted quite a lot of really great stuff. Further to the above questions (which I'd really appreciate your thoughts on), do you think I would be better building my own system (whether running W7 or OSX) than buying that Scan computer? Or any pre-built computer for that matter. If so, do you think the decision of whether to build a W7 or OSX computer is simply down to which OS I would prefer to use?

Last edited by EmbraceRandom; 06-08-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceRandom View Post
Thank you both.

Before I respond to what you've both posted, I've amended the first post with another question that I would like answering before I continue:
Is buying a desktop Windows computer and a Windows laptop actually the most cost-efficient and practical configuration for what I need (see context in first post) and what other options I should consider?
A self build is always the most cost effective solution. The various PC/Mac build threads can attest to this. If you're going for off-the-shelf, purchase an Avid recommended Mac or PC.

Quote:
One other option is to build a Hackintosh instead of buying a pre-built desktop computer.
I've spent the last couple of hours on tonymacx86.com. I've never been a Mac owner and don't want to buy one, but I do appreciate the opinion that Mac OS' seems to be less "clunky" running PT.
I use OS X, Win, and Linux systems on a daily basis. The "opinion" regarding Mac is exactly that, an opinion. It's ususally voiced by those who spend no time at all on the other two platforms. These days it's more about which OS you prefer using or are use to, and less about one being better over the other.

Quote:
However, building my own computer scares me. Nevertheless, this would cost approximately the same as the Scan desktop I had been looking at.
You're leaving out the "cost vs performance" stat. A self build is always more powerful compared to it's same cost equivalent.

Quote:
Another option is to buy a £1300 (ish) laptop that could be both my base and portable system, but then I've heard PT doesn't generally get along with laptops as base systems and I'd be putting all my eggs in one basket.
Based on your experience that I've been reading, I'd recommend Mac if you're going to venture into the laptop world.

Quote:
Shane, I read through all those links (although not all 500+ pages of the first link, obviously). All I can deduce from them is that everyone seems to be building i7 systems rather than the i5 4690K that I'd get with the Scan desktop, but I have no idea what this infers.
The recommended systems by Avid seems moot considering lots of people (including yourself I believe) run PT just fine on systems not officially tested.
Also, the PT system requirements are rather threadbare - 8GB RAM recommended and W7/8 64-bit OS with nothing else specified.
Avid also recommends specific components for the self builds, and even components to avoid. If you're going for a build, stick with the most popular i7 builds to duplicate. These are found in the i7 sticky thread.

Quote:
EDIT: Shane, I've just read the first several pages of the "Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!" in which you posted quite a lot of really great stuff. Further to the above questions (which I'd really appreciate your thoughts on), do you think I would be better building my own system (whether running W7 or OSX) than buying that Scan computer? Or any pre-built computer for that matter. If so, do you think the decision of whether to build a W7 or OSX computer is simply down to which OS I would prefer to use?
I myself would do a build over buying that Scan computer. If I was going to jump into the world of a prebuilt system, I would definitely get mine from local forum resident guitardom. I highly recommend you give him a PM as you do your research. Keep us posted on what route you go with. There's a very knowledgeable community here on both platforms.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Desktop & laptop running PT10 / 11?

I also would recommend Pro-Tools-PC.com or a self-build(pretty sure the PTPC has a UK office). I would NEVER recommend an i5(i7 only). Consider it this way you save $200-300 up front on the i5(maybe less) for a system that you will outgrow in 3 years. Spend the extra $ for the i7 and get 5 years(or more) out of the same system. In the long run, you save money.

I also agree on a used i7 MacBookPro if you need a laptop. I watched an HD/Native demo with an i7 MBP, external drive and a Magma chassis(for the HDN card) and it was playing over 150 tracks, in 5.1, WITH video on the screen. As a PC guy, I was very impressed(buy a slightly older version that has both FW and thunderbolt).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 AM

Much appreciated, both of you! Thank you! An i7 self-build it will likely be. Excited.

I'll pull a first-draft build spec together by cross-referencing the i7 thread and tonymacx86 forum advice and I'll drop guitardom a line to ask for his advice. I'll post the spec here too.

I guess it makes sense to build a desktop that is PT, W7 and OSX compatible. I'm way more familar with Windows but I do like OSX so choice would be a fine thing (unless it's more trouble than it's worth....).

I'm going to keep this thread updated throughout the build. I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom along the way as I'll no doubt hit a lot of brick walls!

Thanks,
ER.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceRandom View Post
Much appreciated, both of you! Thank you! An i7 self-build it will likely be. Excited.

I'll pull a first-draft build spec together by cross-referencing the i7 thread and tonymacx86 forum advice and I'll drop guitardom a line to ask for his advice. I'll post the spec here too.

I guess it makes sense to build a desktop that is PT, W7 and OSX compatible. I'm way more familar with Windows but I do like OSX so choice would be a fine thing (unless it's more trouble than it's worth....).

I'm going to keep this thread updated throughout the build. I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom along the way as I'll no doubt hit a lot of brick walls!

Thanks,
ER.
Ping guitardom first, even if you're doing your own build. It's also best to post your spec here in the i7 build thread, as there are more viewers there who can comment and give advice.

Shane

Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 AM

guitardom PM'd :) I'll post in the i7 thread once I've heard back from him.

Cheers,
ER.