Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 AM

Default Auto Join and Trim mode

Hi,

I mix indie films and broadcast TV on a Control 24 and typically have every channel set in Latch/Trim mode for final mixing which works pretty well for me. I set the preference for "coalesce trim automation after every pass". Combined with Write to Start/End/All buttons and making selections I can usually get what I want pretty quickly, and if I mess it up I usually just "undo", rewind and off we go again.

However, I'm trying to use the automation features more fully and had a look at http://brentheber.com/2008/07/17/aut...what/#comments

which shows how to use "auto join" with "back and play" to allow you to avoid those annoying immediate level changes when stopping the transport while writing latch data. I would like to be able to do this however it seems that following the method described, Pro Tools cannot "auto join" a trim, only an absolute value because in my working method the trim value is coalesced before the auto join can happen.

Is there a way to have PT auto join a trim value, coalescing only when "stop" rather than "back and Play" is pressed? Should I be asking Digi to implement a feature? Or is there a better way to use the automation features to achieve the same goal? Hope this makes sense!

thanks,

Rob Walker
Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Auto Join and Trim mode

Yes - change your prefs so trim automation is coalesced manually then you'll be good to go. :) Thanks for visiting my blog!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Auto Join and Trim mode

Hi Brent,

Thanks for that, it's got me one step closer to what I would ideally like. I'm not keen on uncoalesced trim automation as I like the single black volume line to tell me all I need to know about the volume automation on a clip. Coalescing manually means I have to do that very thing - what would make sense for me would be if I could keep my preference as "coalesce on stop" but PT would consider using "back and play" as continuous playback, allow "auto join" to operate if I use "back and play" but committing the trims if I actually stop the transport. Does this make sense to you as a feature or behaviour?

I may of course be the only person interested in this but hey....

Thanks,

Rob