Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-23-2013, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Do you have to have a 7200 rpm hard drive to run Pro Tools 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Well there is 10 000 and 16 000 rpm beside flash and ssd drives
They double as ambient noise generators and space heaters.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Well there is 10 000 and 16 000 rpm beside flash and ssd drives
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
They double as ambient noise generators and space heaters.
I moved my Rapters to my live rig. No ones going to hear them over a 5 piece rock band.

Its nice that the WD Black drives are fast and quiet for the studio.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I moved my Rapters to my live rig. No ones going to hear them over a 5 piece rock band.

Its nice that the WD Black drives are fast and quiet for the studio.
True but even then I moved my computer out of the studio a long time ago.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 AM

Do any PC's come with 7200 rpm hard drives? I will be making a choice to buy a new rig within the next 6 months. I am definitely using an SSD for C: drive though.. Maybe it is a stupid question, haven't had the need to shop around in years. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
Do any PC's come with 7200 rpm hard drives? I will be making a choice to buy a new rig within the next 6 months. I am definitely using an SSD for C: drive though.. Maybe it is a stupid question, haven't had the need to shop around in years. Thanks!
To many variables there these days. It depends on the PCs intended market. Most non entry level desktops may have a 7200 drive. In the interest of power saving however a huge number of PCs are coming with lower power "green" drives. You would just have to get the specs for the manufacturer. And surprisingly most don't list drive speed. Just capacity.

Actual workstations for HP or Dell will probably sport hi performance 7200 drives. With even faster 10-16k drives available in some cases.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
To many variables there these days. It depends on the PCs intended market. Most non entry level desktops may have a 7200 drive. In the interest of power saving however a huge number of PCs are coming with lower power "green" drives. You would just have to get the specs for the manufacturer. And surprisingly most don't list drive speed. Just capacity.

Actual workstations for HP or Dell will probably sport hi performance 7200 drives. With even faster 10-16k drives available in some cases.
Thanks Scott. I appreciate your insight.

¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
Thanks Scott. I appreciate your insight.
Given most computers from the big OEMs often come with a fairly generic drive image with tons of factory bloatware installed to the C drive I'm a big advocate of actually installing a fresh version of Windows to a blank 7200 RPM drive. I'm fairly convinced that its these unoptimised drive images that often cause issues and keep some of the factory machines from running PT as smooth as they should. And its one of the reasons that the custom DIY machines do better.

That's just a hunch. I have no particular data to back that up. And if my new laptop or tower was running PT great out of the box I doubt I would reformat it. But if it was giving me issues and the hardware was known to be working with PT I'd probably start with a fresh install of Windows and only PT. If only as a troubleshooting step.

Dell and HP have both had issues where there machines blue screened after service packs. In both cases they had used drive images with registry settings and or driver for the wrong CPU manufacturer. IE the drive image was optimized for a AMD processor and the machine actually had a Intel chip. And Vica Versa.

I believe your better off installing Windows and let it install the right drivers and hardware abstraction layer etc for your actual hardware. I'm mentioning this not to derail the thread but because it sounds like you were going to go looking for a off the shelf computer. Its just something to keep in mind.

/end derailment.

Well almost.

I have seen some pretty obvious increases and decreases in boot when cloning from 5400 to 7200 and vica versa. Bottom line is I won't buy a 5400 RPM drive unless its the only available choice. They are S L O W.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Given most computers from the big OEMs often come with a fairly generic drive image with tons of factory bloatware installed to the C drive I'm a big advocate of actually installing a fresh version of Windows to a blank 7200 RPM drive. I'm fairly convinced that its these unoptimised drive images that often cause issues and keep some of the factory machines from running PT as smooth as they should. And its one of the reasons that the custom DIY machines do better.

That's just a hunch. I have no particular data to back that up. And if my new laptop or tower was running PT great out of the box I doubt I would reformat it. But if it was giving me issues and the hardware was known to be working with PT I'd probably start with a fresh install of Windows and only PT. If only as a troubleshooting step.

Dell and HP have both had issues where there machines blue screened after service packs. In both cases they had used drive images with registry settings and or driver for the wrong CPU manufacturer. IE the drive image was optimized for a AMD processor and the machine actually had a Intel chip. And Vica Versa.

I believe your better off installing Windows and let it install the right drivers and hardware abstraction layer etc for your actual hardware. I'm mentioning this not to derail the thread but because it sounds like you were going to go looking for a off the shelf computer. Its just something to keep in mind.

/end derailment.

Well almost.

I have seen some pretty obvious increases and decreases in boot when cloning from 5400 to 7200 and vica versa. Bottom line is I won't buy a 5400 RPM drive unless its the only available choice. They are S L O W.
Agreed. I also did what you mentioned about a fresh install of windows 7 on my current laptop as well as the fact that I replaced the internal hard drive with an SSD... and it flies with Protools 10 especially considering that it only has a dual core processor and a 5400 rpm external WD black audio drive.

I am more than happy with the amount of years and performance this Toshiba Satellite has given me. I bought it in 2007-08. I just don't want to be limited with the amount of VI's and heavy plugins on my future sessions, so for those reasons, I know that I will be making a purchase (most likely toshiba again) within the year.

So as far as my C: drive, it will definitely be an SSD and then I will have to look into making sure they offer a 7200 or greater additional Hard Drive for my audio. I actually bought my rig directly from Toshiba and got to choose the specs. This time I know exactly what I need, and have another 7 or so years of Protools troubleshooting experience. I am pretty confident that it will work out great. I just was wondering if these 7200 rpm drives are common requests these days for laptops?

-peace and thanks
-Lou

¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 PM

I've been using a 5400 rpm external drive for over a year now and have not had one issue with it yet... Maybe I'm just lucky though...
Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbee View Post
I've been using a 5400 rpm external drive for over a year now and have not had one issue with it yet... Maybe I'm just lucky though...
me too. a WD passport external black

¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨