Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 06:45 PM

Default delete

delete
Old 09-14-2002, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Ardour - It may not rock (yet) but it does roll...

Hello,
You can install Synaptic,

apt-get update
apt-get install synaptic

and then run it at the command line,

synaptic

I'm not sure what all software it will let you remove, but its part of the CCRMA install guide.

Best, Jeff
Old 09-14-2002, 07:05 PM

I read about someone trying to do that with an application called WinCVS I think.

They were having some trouble, but I don't know how long ago that was.

I would just get the Red Hat Install CDs and Red Planet CDs and install it via CVS.

I never been able to get CVS to work in the past but the commands at sourceforge.net at the ardour link worked fine.

I just substituted modulename with ardour.

Also, it didn't seem like there were too many files. I think the make process may fill things up.

There are some commands for cleaning out leftovers from installs, make clean, make distclean, etc. I'm not sure how to use them though.

If you want to save space though, give WinCVS a try with the same commands at the ardour CVS download site.

Best, Jeff
Old 09-15-2002, 05:20 AM

Default delete

delete
Old 09-15-2002, 05:55 AM

I've got it up and running and have been able to record sound in it with an old Labtec Headphone/Mic set. : o )

I am having trouble importing audio files but working through it on the ccrma and ardour-user lists.

The interface looks a little like logic.

I haven't played around with it too much, but it seems fun. I'm sure there is a lot of functionality that I am unaware of.

It is 'under development', but it is exciting to be a beta tester and I will learn more as I play with it.

The CCRMA guide is really a boon to those wanting to experiment with audio software in linux.

The other programs in the series are fully functional and look very interesting.

I got an R2D2 .wav file I've been playing around with : o )

Glad to try to help if you run into any problems.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:45 AM

posterchild,
Really, consider hooking this guy up to the net. You're makign life so much more difficult for yourself. Ardour updates come out once or twice a day. You will eventually die under the weight of so many CDRWs!!

I searched SourceForge and 'Windows CVS' and there are apparently many options. Here's one that look pretty simple. Don't know how well it works.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tortoisecvs/

Mark

[quote]Originally posted by posterchild:
Quote:
I don't understand how CVS works... Is there any way to easily download all of the necessary files on a Windows machine so I can burn them on a CD and then put it on my Linux box? (My Linux box isn't and won't be connected to the internet.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 09-15-2002, 06:49 AM

Linux is based on Unix. Linux is the MSDOS command line on steriods. It's not as touchy-feely as Macwindows, however the control you have over the hardware is amazingly advanced.

It is NOT, as you say, for the faint of heart!

It's an interestign feeling though to not be a programmer (me) and be able to play with the source code. I'm looking into how to make narrow mixer strips. Where do I get a chance to do that in the Windows world? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild:
I've been learning a lot about Linux for the past two days. I like it, but IMO it's not for the faint of heart if you're used to Windows or MacOS -- You gotta type a lot of command lines! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 07:04 AM

Default delete

delete
Old 09-15-2002, 10:10 AM

Hi,
I made an Ardour tarball and sent you the path. Hopefully you've been able to download it, but it is 20MB of source code.

You're really killing yourself tryign to do this on a machine that doesn't have internet access. Find a way to fix that problem, even if it means doing internet conenction sharing through a Windows box. This is too painful..

Mark
Old 09-15-2002, 10:38 AM

No, there's nothing different in the files, not at all. However, depending on how you run things on the Linux side it may interpret them differently. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I have pulled all the wave files for complete sessions over from PTLE to Ardour and they all run fine. I've built sessions in Ardour and it all plays nicely together. Unfortunately, Ardour has no real 'snap to' features yet, so it's better to bounce complete tracks from PTLE and then align them all in ardour at the same starting point. It can nudge (I think) so you can handle small adjustments as you normally do.

I was wondering if your quarter speed issue might actually be more like half-speed? If so, did you start jack at 96KHz, 88.2KHz, 48KHz or 44.1KHz. (Or possibly 53.126KHz? Did you know that was possible?) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If jack was running at 96KHz, but you hand it a 44KHz file it might play slow. (Or fast? I don't know...)

Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild:
Got the Delta 1010 working (I think). The only bit of weirdness is that I put a stereo 16-bit 44.1k WAV file created in Windows on my Linux hard drive and the file plays back in aplay, XMMS, and Sound Recorder at a quarter speed of what it should be. Maybe there's something different between Windows WAV files and Linux WAV files...?