Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Default Shortcut for "Cut Time"

Hi All,

Is there a way to create a shortcut for the "cut time" command? I'm a podcast editor and probably use this operation hundreds of times per day. I want to be able to select a region of time and then cut it with a single keystroke, but as it's set up I have to go to event > time operations > cut time > apply, which is a really inefficient way of executing what seems like a simple operation.

Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Shortcut for "Cut Time"

If you are looking to remove time and have everything downstream come forward (or advanced in the timeline), consider editing in Shuffle mode. Select your desired edit, hit delete and boom everything after will be advanced by the length of your selection. If you have multiple tracks, make a group and cut simultaneously.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:12 PM

It seems that the problem with doing this is the myriad functions I want to execute within edit mode that the tracks need to not be grouped together for. For instance, in slip mode I strip (silence) the mic of one host when the other is speaking--if I group the tracks, then I can't just silence one of them. Same for gain staging, and so many other functions. The only thing I want them all to be grouped together for is the timeline so that they don't fall out of sync. does that make sense?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:25 PM

Simple enough to suspend and enable groups as you go with Shift+Command+G. I edit film scores this way and it doesn't slow me down.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 AM

It is very easy to define your own custom keycommands for this in the system preferences. This will bring up the dialog, then just hit enter!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:32 AM

the problem is: with your created short cut you just open the time operations window (same as option + 1) the command is not performed

I use a little workaround:

I create a short cut (via system pref/keybord etc. - attention: you have to write "Cut Time..." with dots) like: cmd + enter

in order to open time operation window with "apply" activated (via opt + 1 it is NOT activated) than just hit enter again and voila!

so I mark the region hit cmd+enter an than enter again - much faster than standard procedere
Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 AM

As Dwayne says, you can just edit in Shuffle mode; tracks don't have to be grouped, just make the selection in the *timeline* at the top of the edit window and all tracks will be included in the edit.

Alternately, you can easily make macros for this kind of stuff with Keyboard Maestro (or one of the PC equivalents if you're on a PC).

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM

I find Cut Time to often be the best method for editing, so I understand the need. I've found that if you open the Time Operations window with its key command (alt+1 on Windows) and, after changing from the default 'Change Meter' to 'Cut Time,' if you click on 'Apply' rather than hitting enter, the window will stay open for the duration of the editing session. Worst case scenario, if it's accidentally closed, is one more key command to re-open it. Not quite as convenient as a single KC for cutting, but fast enough.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 09-11-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
As Dwayne says, you can just edit in Shuffle mode; tracks don't have to be grouped, just make the selection in the *timeline* at the top of the edit window and all tracks will be included in the edit.

Alternately, you can easily make macros for this kind of stuff with Keyboard Maestro (or one of the PC equivalents if you're on a PC).

Keyboard Maestro is the key - thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-11 um 13.32.38.jpg (38.5 KB, 0 views)