Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 PM

Default SC48 to PT10 advice urgently needed!

I am going to Austin Friday to record a 11 band SXSW showcase with a few well known acts. There will be a Venue Profile at FOH and an SC48 for monitor mix. I'm not positive which one I'll be connecting to but I think probably the SC48. Although Ive been using ProTools for many years in the studio, I have never done any laptop recording before, nor have I worked with a Venue system.
I got my hands on a pretty recent macbook pro with thunderbolt. I installed PT10.0 for now.
I plan to use the firewire HDx on the SC48 to hopefully get 32 tracks.
here is my list of questions and concerns. any help would be very appreciated.

1. I won't have much time or help setting up the session and connection. it will be mayhem at the show with each act using their own mixer. The house guy will be so busy getting each of them set up that I doubt he'll have much time for me. Ive looked but cannot find a tutorial for setting up the mbp connection and session setup. I need a crash course!

not sure if it matters but keep this in mind for the final 2 questions, I'm doing straight capture only. no plugins will be used. all editing and mixing will be done back at my studio on a real rig.

3. what version of PT10 should I upgrade to for the most stable performance in this setup?

4. I'll need an external hd. after hours of reading, I can't find an answer on the duc for what I should get. I know firewire bus is out because of the SC48. I can't find a straight answer on whether or not thunderbolt is a good option. I'm thinking usb3? I'm confused. I just need something that works.

Last edited by ddehrlich67; 03-12-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: left out important info
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Default Re: SC48 to PT10 advice urgently needed!

Set your playback buffer to 1024. As for drives, with FW400, there really should be no issue with daisy-chaining SC-48>drive>computer. Thunderbolt should also be fine(can't comment on USB3). If the SC48 has been updated, opening PT and defaulting the IO should get you up quickly

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM

You'll have to coordinate with the engineers to make sure to patch the directs to FWx on the desk as well as enabling the direct out on each channel.

I strongly recommend using USB, haven't tried thunderbolt but it should be a good option as well. I have found that daisy-chaining firewire drives and the interface causes a major read/write bottleneck.

Also if the SC48 doesn't have the firmware update you will only see 18 channels, it's a quick install but I'd have it preloaded on a flash drive just in case.

Good luck, and I feel your pain, I'm down here all week as well wondering who in their right mind would pay to be a part of SX.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM

thanks guys, I found out that I only have usb2 not usb 3 so I think I'm gonna buy a thunderbolt drive. wish me luck!
I'm still not sure which version of PT10 to upgrade to. currently I have 10.0 installed. I'm thinking 10.3.3 ? I know 10.3.4 just released but I don't know if thats a good idea yet. or can I just use 10.0? I need it to be stable. thanks DD
Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 AM

You might want to have a look at this thread couple of posts back: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=335485

I very strongly suggest you three things:

1) Optimize, very importantly Disable Sudden Motion Sensor!
2) Try to access a desk with FWx and test drive before, to see if your system works.
3) Have one system tracking at FOH and the other at monitors. Two guys, two systems.

Good luck!