Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Default G-Force are not porting their instrument plugins to AAX in the foreseeable future

I've spoken to Dave Spiers of G-Force this afternoon, he confirms that "G-Force currently have no plans to port any of their existing instruments to aax".

He says they've "spent the best part of two years porting existing instruments to 64-bit, and as soon as they're released G-Foce need to take a break from this endless cycle of porting existing instruments and instead do something creative".

He thinks right now "that AAX is one format too far" and is suggesting that "anyone who now says that it's critical they get all RTAS plug-ins working on PT11 to contact Avid and persuade them to cooperate with SugarBytes to release the VST to AAX wrapper they announced a while back".

He apologised for being unable to be more helpful, but did say they might revisit the issue in the future, just not at the moment.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Re: G-Force are not porting their instrument plugins to AAX in the foreseeable future

God god, we use their stuff ALL OF THE TIME. I guess VE Pro isn't going away as fast as expected.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Re: G-Force are not porting their instrument plugins to AAX in the foreseeable future

Sounds like someone wants to take their toys home and not let others play with them!

On a serious note, every company has to decide how best to spend their resources. Only time will tell if they bet on the right horse. In the meantime, they're basically leaving a certain percentage of their customers in the lurch. Unless they're stupid, PT users must make up a small percent of their user base.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
I've spoken to Dave Spiers of G-Force this afternoon, he confirms that "G-Force currently have no plans to port any of their existing instruments to aax".

He says they've "spent the best part of two years porting existing instruments to 64-bit, and as soon as they're released G-Foce need to take a break from this endless cycle of porting existing instruments and instead do something creative".

He thinks right now "that AAX is one format too far" and is suggesting that "anyone who now says that it's critical they get all RTAS plug-ins working on PT11 to contact Avid and persuade them to cooperate with SugarBytes to release the VST to AAX wrapper they announced a while back".

He apologised for being unable to be more helpful, but did say they might revisit the issue in the future, just not at the moment.
That's a load.. The plugin manufacturers that have available rtas and would have inquired about aax were more than most likely told, that PT 11 would not have rtas in them at all. That wasn't a maybe that was a definite. Maybe they didn't get authorized for aax?? Pure speculating here, but for them to ask for avid to roll back on 3 or 4 years of work when they already knew it was happening is far from being professional.

It's fine if they say they want to take some time to breath and then come back later, but what they said is like.. ''right you know all the hard work and hundred of thousands (if not more) in R&D you've been doing for the past 4 years? Yeah.. you know... drop it all and keep RTAS in for us... yeah you know.. that would be swell.. thanks chaps'' A la office space.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
It's fine if they say they want to take some time to breath and then come back later, but what they said is like.. ''right you know all the hard work and hundred of thousands (if not more) in R&D you've been doing for the past 4 years? Yeah.. you know... drop it all and keep RTAS in for us... yeah you know.. that would be swell.. thanks chaps'' A la office space.
That's a weird interpretation of what he said.

Pretty sure all he said was we want to do create some new stuff and AVID should allow the VST - AAX wrapper to exist for developers that aren't able to or spend the time working on AAX plugins.

I see no mention of him saying they should keep RTAS alive.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
That's a weird interpretation of what he said.

Pretty sure all he said was we want to do create some new stuff and AVID should allow the VST - AAX wrapper to exist for developers that aren't able to or spend the time working on AAX plugins.

I see no mention of him saying they should keep RTAS alive.
The subtext of his statement (to me) is "I'm not going to port to AAX in an attempt to teach Avid a lesson". When all he's doing is not supporting his customers.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 PM

GForce Software use to be distributed exclusively by M-Audio back when Avid owned M-Audio. They were definitely part of the Pro Tools ecosystem up until 2010. I'm surprised they decided to not move forward with AAX. Best thing to do is email them a request for AAX and hopefully enough numbers will make them reconsider.

Shane

Sent from a plutonium-powered DeLorean in 1985 trying to get Back to the Future

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Glad I found this thread as I was ready to pop for some of their Mellotron stuff.

QAPLA!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
GForce Software use to be distributed exclusively by M-Audio back when Avid owned M-Audio. They were definitely part of the Pro Tools ecosystem up until 2010.
Blood feud!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 AM

" G-Force are not porting their instrument plugins to AAX in the foreseeable future"

And I will not be buying them in the foreseeable future.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88