Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Re: It's a sad day...

Sorry for overreacting Eddie, and thanks for elaborating on this. I know you care deeply about your products as your presence here clearly shows.
That being said, I for one would love a short email about possible problems and new solutions because of manufacturing issues as this can give a hint where to look for the root of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand how manufacturing works and comparing car brakes to an ethernet cable is not valid. Cars get recalled for items that are life-threatening. Does Apple notify its users every time it has a component issue, no. There are 10,000's of parts in an S6 and we rely on 100's of suppliers. Just like any other manufacturer sometimes we get let down, and in 99.9% of the cases, customers never know. Its a massive task and we are not about to send out emails every day letting customers know each time there's an issue!
Saying because we found some bad crimps in a few ethernet cables that we should have alerted about 1000 S6 users who had them from this manufacturer and told them they should rewire their consoles (mostly unnecessarily) is not productive. Mind reading which customer had a faulty cable is also impossible.
I probably shouldn't have gone into so much detail before but I try to be as honest as possible on here. Despite what some think, Avid DOES really care about its customers and the quality of products and we do our best to support them.

As far as buttons, just like all our products we are constantly trying to improve them so yes there have been different versions. If you have an issue with a broken button on an earlier S6 then Customer Service will certainly help you out.
Eddie
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Sorry for overreacting Eddie, and thanks for elaborating on this. I know you care deeply about your products as your presence here clearly shows.
That being said, I for one would love a short email about possible problems and new solutions because of manufacturing issues as this can give a hint where to look for the root of problems.
You are not the one overreacting, I think Eddie was!

IMO there has been way too many problems with the S6 consoles, especially when you look at the price point.
I have had my main unit replaced 2 times, over the last 3 years, because of touch screen errors.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolin View Post
You are not the one overreacting, I think Eddie was!

IMO there has been way too many problems with the S6 consoles, especially when you look at the price point.
I have had my main unit replaced 2 times, over the last 3 years, because of touch screen errors.
Well, I try not to alienate people who try to help. And Eddie is right about one thing. I don't know much about manufacturing processes.
However I know a thing or two about high-end mixing desks / controllers and how I expect them to operate, be built and supported. Back in the day when my SSL started to have fader issues a tech from SSL came to the studio and replaced the faders. For free. That's what we pay the big bucks for.

Speaking of the S6, yes, we had to send in already at least 4 center sections because the buttons were breaking. The build quality of the S6 is - let's say not optimal. And that is a big understatement.

It's also interesting to get the looks of freelancers you give an introduction into the console when you say 'well the button says 'X' but actually it does 'Y', or 'no you can't do that on the S6. But you can do it on the Artist Control'. Or 'no, you can't do that, but yes you could do that on the D-Control.'

The concept of the S6 is great. However I miss quite some functions from the D-Control we had before. Stability is the main one. You didn't need to think about the D-Control, it just did what it was supposed to do. Not a single crash I can remember.
If we calculate the time our media systems engineering guys, the audio guys and team leads like me already had to spend with S6 issues I'd say that this is another 100k in opportunity cost you have to factor into the purchase and subscription price

Last edited by kosmokrator; 02-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
It's also interesting to get the looks of freelancers you give an introduction into the console when you say 'well the button says 'X' but actually it does 'Y', or 'no you can't do that on the S6. But you can do it on the Artist Control'. Or 'no, you can't do that, but yes you could do that on the D-Control.'
Yes, I have had to explain that to a few people too, and they just look really confused when they realize that the top dollar premium surface, can't do all the stuff that the cheap ones (even the ipad app) can.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM

You may have tried this already, but....

One if the issues that Jeff helped me through is that originally the Cat 5 was wired to Port 2 of the MTM instead of Port 1. (I did not do the install, just where it was easiest to wire I guess). Once I switched it to Port 1, pretty much 99 percent of any connection issues went away.

.....Andy D.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Now I'm not an S6 owner anymore, sold it today... A bit sad, but I'll get some new stuff soon, which fit my workflow just as good, if not better.