Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Question HD Native and video

Hi,

I'm about to buy several HD Native systems for editing and ADR. Everything seems to be okay with them, except one thing - video.

We want to work with HD video, DNxHD or ProRes encoded, and the question is - how many cpu resources on 8-core mac will be available for plugins and other native things after video decoding? As video peripheral we have only one way - BMD SDI cards but they don't have hardware decoders. Estimated bitrate for video is about 220 Mbit/s.

Other video options seems to be too expensive for us..

Does anyone have any ideas about that?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Default Re: HD Native and video

I don't know if this helps, but HD Native will work with the various Avid/Digi Video Satellite products.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I don't know if this helps, but HD Native will work with the various Avid/Digi Video Satellite products.
Not even Complete Production Toolkit supports Satellite. Another big functionality support for HD Native.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:25 AM

Have you checked out Blackmagic? They have lots of low cost video options that alot of the guys on the POST forum uses (we use four).
Old 11-02-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Yes, I know, but this is expensive approach. At least one more computer for each room.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Have you checked out Blackmagic? They have lots of low cost video options that alot of the guys on the POST forum uses (we use four).
As I wrote, we want to use Blackmagic cards. But how many CPU resources remain after ProRes decoding?? I think it can be an issue for native (not TDM) system. If you use Blackmagic cards, can you try to play HD ProRes file and note how many percent it takes on CPU? This will be great help if you are able to do so!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi Alex,

I have multiple HD and LE systems, all with a black magic cards. I'm not sure exactly how much cpu the video actually uses, but I can tell you that I have no problem running TV and film mixes with blackmagic doing its thing in the backround. The LE systems can handle quite large sessions, to be honest, I have some sessions that will run on my LE system (with complete toolkit) that my HD3 system can't find enough resources for. I know that sounds ridiculous, it's true. So it would stand to reason that if my LE system can handle the sessions, the HD native should be able to as well. Though, I guess we won't really know until we get to try out HD native.

- Lou
Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM

Hi Lou,

thanks for that! I'll keep my fingers crossed until we test this setup.

Al