Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Ideas in speed shifting material PTIII Nubus TDM?

Hello once again. This time I have gotten myself into a project where I am in need of doing some audiio restoration/storage of some 78 rpm material.

First off my phono gear is the 33 1/3 and 45 rpm setting type. So I am out of luck in just recording it at 16bit 48khz and be done with it.

I did some test recordings at 45rpm and 16bit 48khz, and that works well, but the speed/pitch is obviously going to be off.

I did try with I think it was DPP-1 and JVP but they only got me to the point that Al Jolson actually sounded like himself but the surrounding spectrum was mangled.

So in short, anyone know of what I can do to get the speed shifted to the necessary percentage to bring the entire playback up the correct speed?

If it can't be done in old school Protools III 4.x or 3.x I am definitely open to other packages. If there is a good plugin that someone knows that might help that would be great as well. Not sure if I have any AudioSuite plugins that would do this either...

I even thought of using Sonic Decimator, but it's speed setting only goes to 100% and not higher just lower, so that was out.

Your ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated!

ppuskari2
Old 06-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Ideas in speed shifting material PTIII Nubus TDM?

Well, I found a way to get my old 78rpm albums recorded and playing back in the PTIII Nubus setup. The way to make this all work is to download the rather nice audio program called Audacity. After recording on the PTIII hardware at 48khz 16bit at 45rpm, then copy the audio files to another mac, or even on the same mac.(Haven't tried that yet) and then import the audio into Audacity. After that set the left and right track panning, then the important part is to make sure you set the SPEED properties of BOTH tracks to 83200 HZ. This is the mathematical calculated number for going from 45 rpm to 78 rpm with 48000 hz as the basis. Export as WAV. This will get you a 16bit 48khz Stereo WAV file. I then just used ITunes to convert the WAV to AIF format then import that stereo file back into Protools 4.3... Voila. I wish there was a way to set this within the old PT 4.x series. But until I find another way, this is the winner.

I hope this might help someone out there. I'm definitely open to other answers as well.

ppuskari2
Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Ideas in speed shifting material PTIII Nubus TDM?

it´s so great.
ppuskari2 is the guy.

thank you !