Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-16-2003, 06:35 PM

Default Metallica\'s St. Anger

Metallica's St. Anger was recorded straight into Pro Tools HD and is now in record stores.
When I first heard it I thought it sounded very live. I found out why on mtv.com/news.
Quote:
"I wanted to do something to shake up radio and the way everything else sounds," said Rock, who helped write the music and lyrics and played basslines on the album. "To me, this album sounds like four guys in a garage getting together and writing rock songs." While Rock had previously rigged Lars' kit with multiple modern microphones and dampened the bass drum with pillows, spending as much as a week perfecting a snare sound, this time Rock spent five minutes setting up the drums and recorded the rest of the band with a combination of cheap PA mics and vintage microphones."Technically, you'll hear cymbals go away and you'll hear bad edits. We wanted to disregard what everybody assumes records should be and throw out all the rules. I've spent 25 years learning how to do it the so-called right way. I didn't want to do that anymore."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So what do you guys think of the record and Metallica's approach to it's recording? It knid of lowers the bar IMHO. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Metallica\'s St. Anger

I only listened to the single and I think it doesn't sound good at all....very strange blend...if there even is a blend. But maybe it's the way they are trying to sound like much much better (and much more interesting) bands like System Of A Down... that bothers me.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:09 PM

I got to hear a few tracks yesterday. The snare sounded pretty crappy. Overall, it sounded like a step backwards in quality.

-J
Old 06-24-2003, 01:18 AM

I can't say that I liked the single that I heard on the radio, but I'm not a huge fan of Metallica to begin with. That being said, I find Bob Rock's comments disturbing. I'm all for "imperfections" in music. Playing behind the beat, a vocal that's a bit flat but full of emotion or slight timing issues between guitar players. These are the things that give music "a soul." What Mr. Rock describes is bad engineering. Does he not care anymore? I mean at least make your edits sound good for god's sake. I expect more from him than that.

I'm all for Metallica trying to sound different. And I'm OK with using "cheap PA" mics, or whatever, to achive that end. That happens all the time. But what I got from the the quote that started this thread is: "Let's make Metallica sound like crap and see if people still buy the album."

The fans will, but I won't. But I probably wouldn't have anyway...
Old 06-24-2003, 09:10 AM

I honestly bought the album hoping that it was gonna be a great recording cause I saw they used Pro Tools HD. Well, it was a huge disappointment for me. I think the album sounds like crap compared to their other albums and I don't even like the music that much on this one. The whole thing feels like it was thrown together.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:29 AM

First, that friggin snare drives me crazy, to the point of having to turn the cd off. Second, I can *almost* hear guitars playing through the mush. I don't mind there not being any solos, but jeez, can we at least hear what is being played to some degree? And third, IMHO the songs themselves just are not that good. All in all, the most dissappointing album yet from both Metallica and Mr.Rock, which really bums me out because I have previously enjoyed both's body of work so much. LOL guess I'll have to go buy the new Voivod album instead [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2003, 02:27 PM

i got the same vibe about them wanting to mimic System of a Down but then we listened
to a couple songs back to back on the genelecs and the productions are like night and day..

and that snare...ever turned the sustain all the way up on an SPL Transient Designer?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:15 PM

does anyone think this is what they did to the snare (trans. designer) to give it that rock garage sound ?

I swear the first time i heard a few songs it sounded like they didn't even mix it..
Old 06-25-2003, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaysun:
I swear the first time i heard a few songs it sounded like they didn't even mix it..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I almost wanted to feel like that also. The rehersal DVD that came with the CD sounded horrible also. I think Bob should hand over the HD system to me and I will go buy them a nice Tascam 4-track to use for the next album.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:09 PM

I love Metallica and I think the songs are good however, the songs have a realy copy/paste feel to them. Like they just repeat the same 3 parts 3 times, and call it good. The production sucks. End of story.
What is a trip is the live DVD that comes with the CD. If you listen to them both you will hear very little difference in the sonic quality. So why did it take them a year to record it.
Lastly, this album is nothing but a bad thing for Digidesign. It won't effect them overall, but it gives the analog guys more rocks to throw. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]