Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-23-2019, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Compatibility with MacOS Catalina

I really love the 11R integration with Pro Tools. I can always use it with another audio interface. Not the end-of-the-world but a bummer.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:47 AM

Can you talk about how you're using it with other interfaces - are you using S/PDIF or AES into the other interface, and if so, how is the latency?
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 12-24-2019, 10:30 AM

My preferred setup is using the 11R as my audio interface. I mostly write guitar-driven instrumental music - it has been fantastic for me for the past oh 6+ years.

I have used it with another audio interface - I’ve used an Apollo Twin and an Audient id14. In that mode I use the 11R as a stand alone device. Mono-out of the 11R into an audio input of the audio interface. I don’t bother with SPDIF etc.

I want to capture the flavor of the mic-pre - audient or modeled mic-pre in the Apollo Twin. But - I prefer the 11R/ProTools integration - I’ll add ‘color’ via plug-ins.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
My preferred setup is using the 11R as my audio interface. I mostly write guitar-driven instrumental music - it has been fantastic for me for the past oh 6+ years.

I have used it with another audio interface - I’ve used an Apollo Twin and an Audient id14. In that mode I use the 11R as a stand alone device. Mono-out of the 11R into an audio input of the audio interface. I don’t bother with SPDIF etc.

I want to capture the flavor of the mic-pre - audient or modeled mic-pre in the Apollo Twin. But - I prefer the 11R/ProTools integration - I’ll add ‘color’ via plug-ins.
Thanks for the reply and good to know. The S/PDIF latency seems like it would be annoying, and just need to upgrade to a multi-input interface.
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Old 12-31-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Thanks for the reply and good to know. The S/PDIF latency seems like it would be annoying, and just need to upgrade to a multi-input interface.
Why would S/PDIF have worse latency? And if you are tracking live your guitar would normally go into the Eleven Rack. You might live monitor your wet guitar out the Eleven Rack Main Outputs.

And the system should have less latency if you connect the ER output to the interface via S/PDIF than via analog. Going through Pro Tools the dominant latency is likely to be your Pro Tools IO buffer. And there are always options of reducing that with say a UAD interface/console. And depending on what you are doing, give up on the orange box and use the Eleven plugins etc. can be a handy option.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Why would S/PDIF have worse latency? And if you are tracking live your guitar would normally go into the Eleven Rack. You might live monitor your wet guitar out the Eleven Rack Main Outputs.

And the system should have less latency if you connect the ER output to the interface via S/PDIF than via analog. Going through Pro Tools the dominant latency is likely to be your Pro Tools IO buffer. And there are always options of reducing that with say a UAD interface/console. And depending on what you are doing, give up on the orange box and use the Eleven plugins etc. can be a handy option.
Darryl - thanks. Not giving up on the orange box as it's my late night practice amp - I have 3 great tube amps I love, but even a 12 watt Princeton is too loud sometimes. being able to turn it on, dial in a sound and play is great. I own Eleven Mk II as well (before I bought this) and it is great.

When I get to a new interface, happy to try it either way. Or cross my fingers that Avid will rewrite the drivers and it will be back in business as my main IO.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:43 PM

Thanks for all of this info, was about try try to install on a new Mac Pro 7,1 but of course, all new macs only ship and will run with the latest OS. (am surprised we haven't heard from the 16" MBP crowd). Anyways, I think it more than reasonable to pester Avid for 11R Editor & driver updates - has been a very long time ... After all, we paid them for the rack.

BTW, on my Dell workstation (with latest version of WinPro4W v1909) - ALL of the older software continues to work perfectly, including Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 (doesn't work on Catalina) & I dropped the subscription late last year (much prefer Nuendo); Waves V9 (no Cat.); Eleven Editor & a range of other plugs & VIs (all 64bit). Bloody Apple.
MacPro 7,1 Big Sur 11.2. 16 core, 2TB, 192GB, Vega II 32GB. OWC Thunderbay 6, RME UFX+, UAD-2 quad PCIe, Decklink MiniMon 4k, Sonnet M.2 4x4. Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT. FaderPort 16, Komplete Kontrol S61, Nuendo, Wavelab, Pro Tools Ultimate, Logic, Ableton Live. FinalCutPro, Resolve Studio.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:29 PM

Does the Eleven Rack Editor work under Catalina? Anyone?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:11 PM

It's 64-bit compliant. I'm rewiring my studio this week and will test it out.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:35 PM

I am stuck with Catalina and can't use my 11R. It seems way too complicated to revert back to Mojave.

Any help with this would be super appreciated.