Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2003, 01:30 AM

Default Problems installing OS X

I'm trying to install OSX for using PT6. I have a G4/867 single processor w/ 1,5G RAM, ATTO EPCI DC running two SCSI chains (3x Cheetah 36G and 3x IBM 18G SCSI drives). I've used Mac OS 9.2.2 so far and it's still in my (internal) system drive. I'd like to keep both systems running ; Mac OS 9.2.2 + PT 5.3 and MAC OSX 10.2.x + PT 6.x. I tried to install MAC OSX 10.2.x from the CD : when the installer asks for destination drive I open Disk Utility, choose one of the three IBM SCSI drives and partition it (just one) adding the OS 9 drivers obviously. Then the installation goes on smoothly till the end BUT... when the Mac tries to restart it can't be done in OS X and it goes back to OS 9.2.2. I selected the new startup disk (with the right version of this control panel) but nothing changes. What would you suggest ? I think it's something related to ATTO / SCSI stuff. I should be able to see and work with all drives normally in both ways (OS X PT6 / OS 9 PT 5). Thank you in advance
Old 06-25-2003, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Problems installing OS X

Use an internal IDE drive for OSX
Either add a second drive or backup and partition your current internal drive. (ore use anothe partision if you have one)
***All drives will need tobe HFS+
You can also have OSX and OS9 on the same drive but OSX needs to be installed first.
All drives will then need to be formatted in OSX HFS+ (SCSI too) the atto card will need to have the correct firmware flashed in OSX (1.6.6) ((on the PT6 CD)) and set the DC burst rate to 32 an sync rate to 10. (20/10) and not 20.
SCSI is different in OSX and needs to have all its ducks in a row. but it does work when setup correctly.
If your Mac is an older 867 you may need to update it's rom as well. (unsure) I also recommend updating your OSX to 10.2.6 then installing and updating Pro Tools.
Then in disk utilities after all this is done "repair permissions" to your OSX boot drive
Old 06-25-2003, 07:35 AM

TCDet, my internal ATA drive is already divided in two partitions, one containing OS 9.2.2. If I use the second to install OSX, can I install it without having to first de-install OS 9 ? I have all my SCSI drives correctly 'seen' by OS 9.2.2 / ProTools 5.3 Do I necessarily have to re-format them OSX HFS+ ? If so, will they be corectly 'seen' by OS 9/PT 5 ?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:43 AM

Yes, you can install onto a second partition of your system drive. In the time between PT6's announcement and the release date, I started setting up all of the Pro Tools systems I did with 2 partitions for the system. One was installed with OS 9.2.2 and PT 5.x and the second was just left empty until PT 6 was ready and we would install the current version of OS X there. It worked perfectly. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:42 AM

In regards to the OS X not restartting.... I had many issues when installing Jaguar. I had multiple setupS....2 internal IDE drives some single IDEs partionioned. I would get quits on the installer and no rebootS into OS X...I finally pulled all my card ATTO ,extra ram etc....and was able to get it to finally install.

And as TCDET has stated make sure to format your drives in X w/ 9 drivers....if you don't they may still work but have been know to cause some erractic behavior...just my experience

NM
Old 06-25-2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks to all of you but, going further...
1) I think the partition of my system drive where I have 9.2.2 is NOT formatted with HFS+, so can I have on the same drive one partition with HFS+ (made with OSX Installer disk Utility) and the other (with 9.2.2) with the standard ?
2) If the installation goes well what about my SCSI drives ? Should they all be reformatted with the same OSX utility and if so what will happen when I'll try to use them in my Mac OS 9.2.2 / PT 5.3 environment ?