Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Default Original Mbox as stand alone mic preamp

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to use the original mbox, the one with the focusrite preamps, as a stand alone mic preamp using either the analog or digital s/pdif outputs without using pro tools. This site says it can be used this way. http://www.kellyindustries.com/compu...sign_mbox.html
Obviously a power issue exists since its bus powered but could be resolved by plugging it into a usb converter similar to the ones used to charge your ipod. Let me know if anyone has tried this or knows if its possible. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Original Mbox as stand alone mic preamp

In theory, you could plug it into a powered USB hub, dial the MIX knob to DIRECT and get 2 channels going out the analog outputs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 PM

The preamps on them aren't that great but might be a real cheap way to get 2 more preamps into a 002/003 etc. That is if you can find one real cheap.

good idea
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM

I tried it yesterday and doesnt seem to work i get nothing out of any of the outputs. Ill try again once i get my studio setup.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbmx View Post
I tried it yesterday and doesnt seem to work i get nothing out of any of the outputs. Ill try again once i get my studio setup.
If you have lights on, check the MIX knob. If you have no lights, then you have a USB/power issue. You could try plugging the Mbox into your computer and then go into hardware>device manager and tell it to NOT USE the Mbox(i.e. find the Mbox in the list of hardware>double-click to open properties and tell it DO NOT USE in current configuration)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 PM

I got this to work by plugging my mbox 1 into a computer that was running snow leopard which isn't supported, it did not give me "usb" connectivity per the light on the front, but it did power up and I plugged in my trusty sm57, I had to set the input/playback knob to all the way 'input' and used the "line output (trs)" and it passed signal as a standalone mic pre

pretty sweet as I've heard it is the most useful doorstop ever now that avid is no longer supporting them w/ pt or as standalone units in snow leopard, now it's my focusrite mbox 1 preamp "vintage" digidesign unit
Old 11-13-2016, 04:12 AM
zolko

Actually, there is a way to give old Mbox1 second live with no computer connected.
All you have to do is make some modification on SMD components - one cut, one jumper around HEF4094 chip. Details:
http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resource...tandalone-mod/
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...-pre-hack.html
Now, powering with USB power bank you get the cheapest ever field mixer! :)