Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Default Fresh Newbie question - sound on my M box pro + PDFs

Hi

Apologies for what is 2 incredibly stupid question's, just starting out and am looking to get up and running

1) I am trying to connect the Mbox with what is a fairly old stereo system, consequently I am tring to use the double red and white wire lead that comes with it, can i plug this into the SPdif port (i'm guessing not) or the other phono in ports that would accomodate them or do I need to buy another lead. Can anyone recommend some cheap monitors if i did decide to splash out

2) I have Vista so have updated following the upgrade procedure, I don't seem to have any of the help pdfs when i go to the help mene - i am probably overlooking something

any help greatly appreciated

OZ
Old 03-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Fresh Newbie question - sound on my M box pro + PDFs

Quote:
...consequently I am tring to use the double red and white wire lead that comes with it, can i plug this into the SPdif port (i'm guessing not) or the other phono in ports that would accomodate them or do I need to buy another lead.
Nope. SPDIF is digital, your stereo is analog. You need to take the analog outs and build or adapt to phonos.

Quote:
I have Vista so have updated following the upgrade procedure, I don't seem to have any of the help pdfs when i go to the help mene - i am probably overlooking something
Presumably if you're on Vista, your upgrade was to PTLE V7.4. There was a recent report that V7.4 had fixed the documentation problem, where they only appeared via the Start > Programs > Digidesign > Documents method. I'm on XP and V7.3 so have an abundance of ignorance on 7.4 and Vista.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:21 PM

If you updated via download, the documentation installer is separate from the update installer. You need to install the documentation using the documentation installer that is available in the same location as the Pro Tools update that you acquired.

Also, how/why are you connecting to the old stereo? Are you trying to record something from it? Or are you trying to use it as an amplifier for the output from your Pro Tools rig? What kind of connections does the old stereo have? We will be more capable of answering your question(s) accurately if you provide that information.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 PM

Hello

thanks vm for the info, I am going to download the PDFs tonight

In answer to your question I was looking to use the stereo as my amp (monitors) for my rig and so was looking to connect to the red and white auxillary ports on the back of the stereo, these are the same size and shape as the SPDIF ports on the back of the rig but obviously i cannot use them, I'm guessing that I need a different lead connector with a thicker lead part one end for the rigs analogue outputs going into the double red and white leads the other end to connect to the stereo, or possibly just need to buy a cheap set of monitors

Thanks

OZ