Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Default Are there Pro Tools 10 compatible MIDI controllers?

Hey, so I realize Pro Tools 10 is fairly new more of a transition between 9 and 11 than anything, but are there any MIDI controllers out there built for PT10? I am looking to upgrade from my Axiom 61 (1st generation) because none of its transport controls on the keyboard do anything in pro tools, and are not easily programmable.

What kind of MIDI/USB controllers are out there that are compatible with PT10? I love the idea of an MPC or just a Pro Tools powered mixer, but is there anything similar that has a keyboard built in, with faders and pan pots? If it were to double as an analog controller (with built in synth sounds), that would be ideal. But anything under $1k would be awesome!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Are there Pro Tools 10 compatible MIDI controllers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorMusic View Post
Hey, so I realize Pro Tools 10 is fairly new more of a transition between 9 and 11 than anything, but are there any MIDI controllers out there built for PT10? I am looking to upgrade from my Axiom 61 (1st generation) because none of its transport controls on the keyboard do anything in pro tools, and are not easily programmable.

What kind of MIDI/USB controllers are out there that are compatible with PT10? I love the idea of an MPC or just a Pro Tools powered mixer, but is there anything similar that has a keyboard built in, with faders and pan pots? If it were to double as an analog controller (with built in synth sounds), that would be ideal. But anything under $1k would be awesome!
The axiom pro 61 works fine.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 AM

Arrow Re: Are there Pro Tools 10 compatible MIDI controllers?

Emperor
The Novation AutoMap software/hardware is really the best option, goes beyond fine and costs about the same. It has the heads up display, you can save maps from the software program. The Nocturn and SL mk II are the best controllers because they're small just the cc/pads/swithes and they fit on top of your Favorite keyboard controller. So if you have a preference on what keys you are playing all day long, then this is the best of both worlds. Also AutoMap 4.2 will do everything, including all your 3rd party hardware. You can control multiple programs running in master mode (one hui others midi) and a host of other features no other controller platform can do..
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The axiom pro 61 works fine.
C'mon man... Throw him a bone! LOL
Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM

The Axiom Pro series really is much easier to deal with, set up, and integrate than the old version. So I second it as a good suggestion.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Arrow Re: Are there Pro Tools 10 compatible MIDI controllers?

I don't second the Axiom Pro, nor do I by default always suggest the Avid product. Probably Emporer can decide for himself. The Nocturn is $100 and Automap4.2 another 40. Easy way to evaluate. There is no software gui for the Axiom, nor is there a stand alone mini controller. The Nocturn allows you control multiple Air Effects Plug in simultaneously becuase it is small enough you can have multiple controllers on the workspace with room to spare.

But if you need an Axiom you'll find a ton of the on Craig's list for cheap when people figure out their options..
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Thumbs up Re: Are there Pro Tools 10 compatible MIDI controllers?

Thanks for all the responses! I ended up doing a little research on my own and decided on the Novation Impulse. It is very similar to the axiom pro but comes with the Automap software to sync your hardware to whatever parameters you want in pretty much every major editing software! With one click i can switch between controlling Pro Tools to Reason or Ableton or Cubase! and if i don't like the way the parameters are set up on the controller i can configure it the way i want very easily and instantly within the Automap software!

And for the same number of controllable control surfaces as the axiom pro it is a heck of a lot cheaper!!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorMusic View Post
With one click i can switch between controlling Pro Tools to Reason or Ableton or Cubase!
HyperControl supports Reason, Ableton, Cubase and Axiom Pro Patches can be loaded to correspond with what application you are working on.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubpimpjuice View Post
C'mon man... Throw him a bone! LOL
lol well the axiom 61 first gen which is not the same as the axiom pro 61 doesn't work well with pt 10.. or so he says, can't confirm. But The axiom pro 61 works like a charm with pt 10 since I use it often to enter VI's parts. Hypercontrol works well with PT 10 and so does the learn function for the axiom pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
I don't second the Axiom Pro, nor do I by default always suggest the Avid product. Probably Emporer can decide for himself. The Nocturn is $100 and Automap4.2 another 40. Easy way to evaluate. There is no software gui for the Axiom, nor is there a stand alone mini controller. The Nocturn allows you control multiple Air Effects Plug in simultaneously becuase it is small enough you can have multiple controllers on the workspace with room to spare.

But if you need an Axiom you'll find a ton of the on Craig's list for cheap when people figure out their options..
I don't necessarily always recommend Avid's product first, but since I use this one on a regular basis, I know it works well. And I've tried quite a few, still have quite a few too that are picking up dusts, just in case a client is more comfortable with those rather than the one I have out, plugged in and ready to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
AutoMap 4.2 has 550mb of control maps for pretty much every daw and plug in in existence. And it has a GUI to save your neck from having to navigate the tiny axiom screen. Sorry Filo, but Maudio by design is not cutting it..

Emperor
Again be sure you like the keys on the novation before buying the all in one unit.. You could have an 88 note keybed of choice then put the mini controller in the center and upright for closer control.. Just a thought
Also, you can work with watching a small screen if you want to, or an other GUI that overlaps your pro tools session in which you always have to mess with to either put it away or make it transparant and then still have a clouded view of your session, or you can simply work as intended with the plugins or VI's open and watch your computer screen for the changes that your doing, without having to use a secondary and cluttery GUI.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Actually Manny
They're nothing cluttery about it, quite the opposite
The Automap Server Screen is the only plug in screen you need after you have your paramaters chosen, toggling between plug ins is easy with the touch sensitive endless encoders.
and Pro Tools is resizable, (heaven forbid, Mine is 2tracks in size hee hee) But screens are larger these days anyway and multiple desktops make another useful option. No arguement can be won suggesting that looking down at that little axiom screen is a good work flow, sorry

Also 4.2 does not do the transparent thing anymore, and the size is stuck at the useability size. Like I said its the only window you need for plug ins
And if you've accepted having plug in windows open, then you can accept having ONE AutoMap window open, its a consolidation that Saves Space!