Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2011, 03:56 AM

Default Control v1 versus v2

Anyone know what the differences are, or where I can find out? I've looked on the web-site but I can't find anything... maybe I'm dense
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Control v1 versus v2

I have a v1 and the touch screen is not always precise even after calibration.

It was worth the money however, I got quite a good deal for it. Just don't expect iPad's precision.

I think this was the main improvement of v2.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM

I'm a new Artist Control V2 owner and I have to say the touch screen is at least on par with an ipad...which I'm writing this on . I have no issues at all with responsiveness. I use the Neyrinck V- Control app as well so it's a good comparo, though on the VC it's a virtual fader and wireless so there's a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of lag compared to the hardware fader via wire on the Control. Let's face it a real fader wins everytime. For me the V-Control is used as a remote controller for PT when I'm in my record room solo...great for that. I just found that when I needed it the ipad was often back in the house. My ipad gets used for many other things while the Artist Control is a dedicated device, so again a winnner.

As for your V1 screen, I can only echo what others have said...that the touchscreen is the big diff. If you have an iOS device to compare it to and if it seems close to that, you may find you can live with it...otherwise it may be upgrade time.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Control v1 versus v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
As for your V1 screen, I can only echo what others have said...that the touchscreen is the big diff. If you have an iOS device to compare it to and if it seems close to that, you may find you can live with it...otherwise it may be upgrade time.
I'm fine with it for the moment, for me this is only a "luxury tool" for composing music. I do most of my work in a notation software but like to be able to solo and mute my orchestra sections, so I didn't really need the touch screen in the first place. I first bought a V1 mix in discount because the store was waiting for V2, then immediately got a transport to program banks, one week later I saw an amazing deal on a "used-like-new" V1 Mix and Control unit, properly registered, so I ended up with 2 Mix, a Transport and a Control before realizing it.

I'll see later this year if it becomes an annoyance with time when I'll have to do a bit of electronics and mixing.