How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-04-2019, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Certainly dont understand a lot of this complaining. Weve used mulitiple stations since 2011, everyday for massiive budget series...all running pt 10 . How can we complain with virtually no crashes and happy clients who love what we do? I just dont get it
For professional studios that use dedicated computers that don't need to update the OS, PT is great. If you are using straight outboard gear and using PTs as just a recording and editing software than you can't beat it. For home recording types, who don't have dedicated computers just for running PTs, we need to update our OS for cyber security reasons. Plus PTs 2018 has tons of features that PT 10 doesn't have. Track Freeze (when it works) is a huge win for home recording types because if you use tons of VIs, PTs is not a good DAW. It doesn't efficiently use the computer's CPU to process the plugins (track freeze is a work around).

It all depends on how you use PTs based on your situation. Home recording artists are the ones that need OS compatibility sooner than later. We need VIs and Virtual Plugins to operate more efficiently. I have an iMac Pro 10 cores and 64 gigs of ram and PTs isn't able to use anywhere near what the computer is capable of before the software max's out. That sucks and that is why we need Avid to address these issues sooner than later. I don't have and I can't afford outboard gear. ITB is the only way I can economically make somewhat professional sounding music. I say somewhat because of my limitations as an audio engineer. I don't do this for a living and make no money off of it, which is probably more than 90% of PT users. Professional studios (as important as they are) are a small niche market these days. Songwriters like me make no money off of music. How can we justify spending thousands of dollars going to a studio (which I have done) only to have the songs sit on iTunes without any real sales. Streaming doesn't pay anything, so again, if the songwriter can't make money, professional studios are going to increasingly feel the pain. We are relegated to the do-it-yourself reality. I'd love to go and record an album in a pro studio, whether they are using Pro Tools 5 or the latest version, because I know the results would be amazing. I've had my songs on the radio and I've played 100s of shows, but that never resulted in making any real money, so I can't justify the cost. PTs is the closest thing to being in a professional setting that we can afford, so I think that is why we care so much that Avid gets their act together.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman

Last edited by jasonkalman; 04-04-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
If only they would do bug fixes and OS updates in a timely manner. Not sure they will stay the standard. HDX will eventually go away and I can't see PCIe in the future. When the current hardware is no longer supported, they might see a lot of people finding other options. Their hardware is certainly not the standard as it is.
PCIe isnít the future, but that doesnít really have any firm implications for HDX. It is becoming a dated system, but there still exists very few alternatives for the big guns in the industry. There are few replacements for D-Controls and Avid S6ís. There are few replacements for dual operator DAW setups with tight sync and huge track counts. HDX could disappear tomorrow, but it is functionality like that which keeps Pro Tools in the big studios, and makes it a standard for all of the smaller studios and professionals that feed them.

If anything, HDX may well be holding Pro Tools back. Removing it might give Pro Tools and itís userbase a big kick in the bum forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Certainly dont understand a lot of this complaining. Weve used mulitiple stations since 2011, everyday for massiive budget series...all running pt 10 . How can we complain with virtually no crashes and happy clients who love what we do? I just dont get it

Totally! One of the busiest post dudes that I know is blazing away on a HD 10rig with a procontrol. If the complaining isnít within the context of Pro Tools being a tool to do a job, it really isnít particularly relevant. Some people have complained so much about the lack of folder tracks that they have probably wasted more time than adding folder tracks will ever save! If you arenít happy with the return on your investment, stop paying. I discovered that Slate plugins cause led a lot of crashes on my HDX rig. I deleted them and cancelled my subscription. Problem solved. Iím fact, if any of you havenít been through your system with a fine tooth comb I would highly recommend it. We are in an era of digital bloat. People take 150 photos now when they used to take use one on film. 10 or 20 Ďconvenienceí driven apps running in the background really isnít productive. Having a million plugins installed when you only use the same dozen isnít going to make your system better.

Snip, cut and chop away. You will end up with a more stable system, and a much healthier wallet to boot. But if your PT rig is still unstable after itís all said and done, you can cancel your support plan and hang out on a more stable past version happily knowing you arenít spending money on junk.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
PCIe isn’t the future, but that doesn’t really have any firm implications for HDX. It is becoming a dated system, but there still exists very few alternatives for the big guns in the industry. There are few replacements for D-Controls and Avid S6’s. There are few replacements for dual operator DAW setups with tight sync and huge track counts. HDX could disappear tomorrow, but it is functionality like that which keeps Pro Tools in the big studios, and makes it a standard for all of the smaller studios and professionals that feed them.

If anything, HDX may well be holding Pro Tools back. Removing it might give Pro Tools and it’s userbase a big kick in the bum forward!
But how many big guns are left in the industry maybe a couple hundred and decreasing by the day? With music being relegated to almost free, where is the future for professional studios? The crap on the radio could be produced on an iPad if you ask me. I don't suggest PTs abandon the big guns, but their key market is with home recording artists that can't afford going to a professional studio because they don't make any money off their music.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Could you please stop contradicting yourself with this nonsense all the time? It is really annoying having you defending the things Avid is doing wrong and that p*sses a vocal amount of customers off, and then claiming you're not doing exactly that. Avid pays you for being a shill? Fair enough, how else would you earn money being at the DUC 24/7? I get that. But why do you feel the urge to say you're not? Is that a contractual clause you have to abide by? Or is that a pathological psychical issue?

"We have always been forced to pay. Some of us remember the time of forcing us to buy tapes and store them for all eternity... this PT annual fee is peanuts in comparison"

What has that to do with anything? Does that mean it's okay to pay companies comparatively marginal amounts of money but for basically nothing in return? How could anyone who is not somehow affiliated with said company try to play down things that go against the interest of EVERY PAYING USER?

Maybe you're not using PT enough, because you're occupied defending Avid on a forum and then making sure to state that you're not.
Most others here use the software and need it to perform.
Meads I totally understand where your coming from. Jfreak does need some help here! He might even need to take a break for awhile. Honestly, he does defend Avid quite a bit when thereís anything negative said about Avid or Pro Tools. He had a knee jerk reaction to me when I said I didnít think Pro Tools 2019.3 would make it and when I commented back the postís where deleted and no where to be found. This behavior is not in line with being a Moderator itís more like censoring. What good is a forum if all you can say is whatís good about the software when there are yet many long standing issues.

Last edited by zion; 04-04-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Last month, but nothing yet... what I'm finding funny (not!) is Mojave still isn't supported and in a few months we'll likely see yet another place

This is the horrible thing with Macs the updates keep coming even if Avid isnít finished with the last one.

Itís kind of like that I Love Lucy episode where she is working in the candy factory and the candies keep coming but she canít keep up.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
I don't care for new features to much, but I was really hoping for a fast, capable, nearly bug free version by now.

Then you wouldnít need your annual $upport plan

Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
PCIe isnít the future, but that doesnít really have any firm implications for HDX. It is becoming a dated system, but there still exists very few alternatives......

If anything, HDX may well be holding Pro Tools back. Removing it might give Pro Tools and itís userbase a big kick in the bum forward!

Iím fact, if any of you havenít been through your system with a fine tooth comb I would highly recommend it. We are in an era of digital bloat.

Having a million plugins installed when you only use the same dozen isnít going to make your system better.

I donít know how people do what they do without HDX. The simple fact of Final overdubs at the end of a mix is a God Send - a literal God Send

If they dump PCIe I would stay behind indefinitely- man I used my Pro Control for years after 11 came out. But yes I like my icon more

Old 04-05-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Meads I totally understand where your coming from. Jfreak does need some help here! He might even need to take a break for awhile. Honestly, he does defend Avid quite a bit when thereís anything negative said about Avid or Pro Tools. He had a knee jerk reaction to me when I said I didnít think Pro Tools 2019.3 would make it and when I commented back the postís where deleted and no where to be found. This behavior is not in line with being a Moderator itís more like censoring. What good is a forum if all you can say is whatís good about the software when there are yet many long standing issues.
FWIW, I didn't delete any posts on that thread -- DTS deleted the part where rumours were discussed (forum rules).
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 AM

I was a Pro Tools TDM dealer when they announced LE and the Digi001. I remember thinking then that things were going to change. Back then, the entry to Pro Tools was about £5k and that gave me enough margin to install and support the customer, and Digidesign enough margin to support me. And all the bug fixes were free.

Changing the subject, when TDM gave way to DSP Avid claimed that it would be much easier to write plugins for DSP as well as Native but this doesn't seem to be true and when more and more serious go-to plugins like Izotope's are Native only it makes HDX seem more and more a pointless aspiration for small operators.

I wish Avid would create a no-frills blank box with a Thunderbolt cable that had the equivalent of an HDX card inside it. Kind of similar to UA or Soundgrid I suppose. In other words plug-and-play DSP plugin support without the interfaces. This would be something for Pro Tools Native people to aspire to when their computers ran out of steam.

Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core XeonE5, 64GB RAM, D300 Graphics, OSX Mojave 10.14.6/Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.3/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign Command|8/SPL GoldMike/Allen & Heath ZED-436 for fun
Old 04-05-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Then you wouldnít need your annual $upport plan
If there was such a version. I would not need it. Right.

We do 2-6 TV shows, documentaries and other tv stuff every day. PT serves us well. That is not the case. But TV Post in Germany has changed a lot and is changing still. We need offline bounce and high track counts with low latency on modern machines. Plus we need reliability. And AVID is just not delivering that to full satisfaction. We pay for 8 HD Licenses and a couple vanilla ones. We expect AVID to deliver bug fixes and system compatibility for our money. That is all. We do not need new features. We get or stuff done. And AVID support did not prove helpful in any way in the last years, so we do not need support, but we have to pay anyway. All we ask for is that AVID stays up to date with current machines. And they just don't make it happen.

Will that bring us any from AVID? Certainly not. There is no alternative in post as of today. Does it annoy us? Certainly Yes!
Video Slave 4.3.477