Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Avid Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Manager!

I know this has been ask for a thousand times or more but can you guys not forget it's there? In your forward thinking of the next and greatest thing can you improve the Avid Core Audio Manager to play nicely with other apps? Please keep this guy moving forward!

Last edited by zion; 12-31-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Driver!

You really should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
You really should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...
I don't! The Avid Core audio driver is used when I'm not using Pro Tools. It is used with other audio apps like iTunes, DSP Quattro, Toast Titanium ect. But I'm sure you new that Bill! It is also used with some standalone apps.

Last edited by zion; 12-31-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I don't! The Avid Core audio driver is used when I'm not using Pro Tools. It is used with other audio apps like iTunes, DSP Quattro, Toast Titanium ect. But I'm sure you new that Bill! It is also used with some standalone VSTi's.
Don't get confused by Bill's comments. Put simply, he has the ability, in spades, to talk confidently on subjects about which he knows little, or nothing.

He, by his own admission in other threads, doesn't use and knows nothing about mac computers, and, by implication, about using Avid hardware or Avid software on mac computers.

Our best attempts to persuade him to 'zip it' in such situations seems doomed to failure, based on our experience to date. Still, we live in hope ;-)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Don't get confused by Bill's comments. Put simply, he has the ability, in spades, to talk confidently on subjects about which he knows little, or nothing.

He, by his own admission in other threads, doesn't use and knows nothing about mac computers, and, by implication, about using Avid hardware or Avid software on mac computers.

Our best attempts to persuade him to 'zip it' in such situations seems doomed to failure, based on our experience to date. Still, we live in hope ;-)
LOL!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post

Ok, this makes sense now. He must be running 98SE too. I just love the nugget about not running other programs while ProTools is running. Especially when talking about the CoreAudio driver, which is for using Avid/Digi hardware with other software.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
I just love the nugget about not running other programs while ProTools is running. Especially when talking about the CoreAudio driver, which is for using Avid/Digi hardware with other software.
Indeed, pure comedy gold.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I don't! The Avid Core audio driver is used when I'm not using Pro Tools. It is used with other audio apps like iTunes, DSP Quattro, Toast Titanium ect. But I'm sure you new that Bill! It is also used with some standalone VSTi's.
No, did not know that.

Thank you for providing the information...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
No, did not know that.
Bill, seems you've lost your way again. Here you go...

http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Avid Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Driver!

Back in the old days when computers were not very powerful, it was common to use only one program, like Final Cut Pro, when digitizing video. It would be foolish to run another program, no matter how simple, while digitizing. This was the day of 9 MB drives. Notice I said MB and not GB.

I still to this day close other programs when digitizing. While is may be unnecessary today, I don't want to start the digitizing over if I get a dropped frame.

While using my MacPro to run PT, I have an older laptop to do Mail, Excel and a web browser. Makes me feel safe even though it may be totally unnecessary.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.