How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Protools 9 delay compensation limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I can only assume that RTAS and a new 64bit engine are higher on the priority list than ADC at this point.
In fact let's leave the issue of the largely irrelevant ADC cap alone and allow Avid to give us what we really need: ProTools 10 64-bit.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
I assure you -- 'serious' engineers looking for 'that' sound, "in the box" are definitely running out of 4096 samples of ADC - quickly 'every day'.
Something strange must be going on. All signs point to me being a rather "serious" engineer, yet I can't remember the last time I banged my head on the ADC ceiling. What am I doing wrong?

One day, I swear, I will, dammit! I will knock my skull hard and THEN I shall rejoice at my new-found status as "Serious Engineer."

btw - if you need to insert a 4-band multi-compressor on a bass guitar... well... it's gonna be tough to take you seriously.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Avid

Guys - the only reason (currently) that Pro Tools has the ADC limit it has is for cross-compatibility between HD and Native systems. The code for ADC in native is based off the HD code and, to extend it, will require work with ADC and how it uses HD chips.

We're not ignorant to the fact that other DAW have unlimited ADC or that people could really use more - it's simply that the work to increase it for Pro Tools is not insignificant. There are other factors at play that I can't discuss - just know that it's a feature that we're examining.

This is in no way an indication of future development - just an acknowledgement by me of the situation.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post

btw - if you need to insert a 4-band multi-compressor on a bass guitar... well... it's gonna be tough to take you seriously.
lol. That slipped right by me. Must be tired. ff
Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I wouldn't say it's a matter of need but a multi-band on bass can at times do some interesting things, some might say... even useable.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's a matter of need but a multi-band on bass can at times do some interesting things, some might say... even useable.
Kinda like putting Waves Multi-tap on the 2buss. Anything's possible for interesting sake, and everything is usable to someone... but seriously?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
There should be 'NO' math involved in mixing a record. Math ends after high school final exams.. .
Can you say Fourier Transform?

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Sure, and you'll often find me using a 3-band upon mixdown, and no shortage of prominent effects throughout the mix, but in the context of a conversation about ADC limits it's silly to mention the hungriest of all plugins and say that its use prevented you (him, not you Tom) from knowing whether or not the bass track was played in time. No one in their right mind would even try to record with C4 engaged, so we're talking about post-processing. If you didn't realize that the best time to assess the bass player's timing was BEFORE you inserted C4 then it's just bad producing, plain and simple. Blame Avid all you want for their "cap" but that screw up is on you.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 AM

one thing people need to realize to is avid probably coded the limit due to stability issues.

instead i suggest you buy this plug in

http://www.mellowmuse.com/ATA.html

and instead i suggest avid increase the insert limit.

with the insert limits right now i have plenty of room for mixing and adding this plug in but some of you might get wild with the rtas. now i do think avid needs to add 64 bit support soon only because of how many VI users there are. I use mostly loops for fun when it comes to creation, but the real talent is from the guy who made the loop for me whether its a drum machine or a synth or whatever.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
I assure you -- 'serious' engineers looking for 'that' sound, "in the box" are definitely running out of 4096 samples of ADC - quickly 'every day'.
so wrong.
(where's that facepalm when you need it...)
e