Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Default Re: To all noobs

I tip my hat to you sir

Can I have a fruit snack?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
used to be it was 'talent' that made one marketable!!

Simply put Music is a Business, once you see it that way, and the role we / me / you / us play in it it will all become easier to understand it
Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutaillis View Post
I tip my hat to you sir

Can I have a fruit snack?
Mi Snack'sa Su Snack'sa

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybeeetsss View Post
yay! :d
Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Don't mean to offend you here at all dude, but I find this a little odd...

It really didnt come down to the performance at all, she couldn't even play the whole song. How is that a performance?!

Infact it totally came down to the equipment! If it wasn't for the "electronic manipulation" (ie. the ease of editting in the modern DAW) the the recording would never have worked at all!

This seems to be all too often the case these days.. I may be a little hard lined here, but if a musician cant even play their part all the way through, I feel they have no place recording it.

The ease that we can fix a terrible recording is just making it easier for people that really shouldn't be in music to make a passable record (eg. LADY F***ING GAGA!). This is really just a testament to our skill as audio engineers, but when do we ever recieve the credit for it? In doing things like this we are just perpetuating bad music...

Should we really be helping the world get dumber like this?!
It's not like that at all. This gal is very talented; she was just working outside her box - and very nervous about doing something she's never done, and that is record herself w. keyboard and vocals. She's a theater gal. The "performance" part of it that I referred to was her vocal talent. That part was effortless and terrific. That's where she shone.

So, my job was to coax her through the painful keyboard parts, and then perform magic to make it work.

If anything, the end result may convince her that she could, with a little more work, do more of this kind of performing.

I bet producers get to reap the benefit of this kind of role quite often. It's like teaching a kid whose already a good baseball player to throw their first breaking ball, when you know darned well that it could open up a whole new opportunity for them.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Sorry man, miscomunication that struck a bad nerve with me!

I apologise.

If the end result pushes her to practise more and get better than it is only a good thing!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I may be a little hard lined here, but if a musician cant even play their part all the way through, I feel they have no place recording it.
What about mock-ups or low-budget film where MIDI is the only means?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 PM

That is an interesting point... But at this stage of the project MIDI is usually just used as a guide by the composer, and great composers can usually play their instruments as well.

If the score is then to be recorded, tallented session musicians are brought in to perform and record the score. Having people that can't even play their instruments would make recording score for a film a nightmare!

For seriously low budget films, where the resulting audio is purely MIDI, then no performance is even needed. You can just program the notes in. It's not the performance that is important here, but the composition.

This then raises the questions of MIDI vs. live musicians as far as capturing the right feel and emotion etc. But for zero budget films and such then there isn't really even the option!

I compose with MIDI myself, so don't get me wrong here! I wish i was a better musician all the time and am always wanting to improve my skills. But untill I am a great musician, I'll be staying on the other side of the glass! I don't want to portray myself as something I am not, even though with my engineering knowledge I quite easily could.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 PM

The ability to write would not be judged as passing something off that is not but the ability too write is judged.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c
used to be it was 'talent' that made one marketable!!
You are correct but that was a long time ago. Those days are gone and forgotten.