Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 AM

Default new user issues buffer error message

I have not yet called digidesign, may have time today, but figured I'd throw this up here as well. Just set up 002r , Sony Vaio, 2.89 pentium, 1 g RAM. Have not connected ext HD as I have only 1 firewire Port on back of PC. (Been wondering if this is the issue- I have to get another FW port)

Getting constant set buffer lower/remove item from FW port/then too many interrupts, raise buffer. Happens after 10 seconds of playback or record.

I've been seeing lots of people with this problem and seems to be no definitive answer- switch ports, shorter FW cable, incompatible chipset, etc.

Also continue to get message at startup that the 002r ("Firmware" I think)needs to be updated after I have done so (2x). I close it and it proceeds.

I notice that when in record mode I get consistent "drop-outs", like an interruption when set at real low buffer, but does regardless of buffer setting.

I have not yet checked chipset compatability.

I figure I just need to get on the line with digidesign and walk through my system set-up and figure out the bug, but figured I put this up here as well.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: new user issues buffer error message

The definitive solution for this "problem" is to make sure you are using a computer that is compatible , you are using all of the recommended and required peripherals (separate physical hard drive for audio sessions is a must), and that you have configured everything as recommended.

If you have only one firewire port, then you obviously aren't using one of the Qualified Firewire interface cards.

It also sounds like you were intending on using a separate physical hard drive, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Following the recommendations for running Pro Tools is extremely important and unless and until you are running at the minimum requirements, then you will experience problems. (That's why they made those requirements/recommendations in the first place).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 AM

First and foremost you'll definitely need a second drive. Sometimes you can get away with it briefly but it is completely unsupported to write to the system drive.

Then you need to post your configuration as described elsewhere in this forum. No one can check your compatibility without knowing in detail what your using.

Also make sure you don't have any processes running in the background (virus software especially). We'll need more info to help - and so will Digi.

Thanks!

Tom
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Avid

As indicated by the other posters (and, suprisingly, it seems you may not have seen this in other threads), we'll need more info.

You should start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread and post specific info on your system per the info on that thread if you're unable to resolve the problem.

You may want to look at the Help us help you thread as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Point(s) taken! Been a Roland VS user for years, not too computer savvy. Never heard of a chipset before yesterday....
Old 10-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Appears problem was wireless internet connection. Replaced Firewire card, hooked up ext drive. All is good. Now just learning...
Thanks for the pointers