Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Default Help choosing Uad plugin.

I'm new to the Uad paradigm. I have a MacbookPro, 17" i7 quad, Pro Tools 9. Couldn't resist the Solo Laptop @ $299--especially with the included EMT 250 reverb and wrapper-less Rtas compatibility!! I've been really getting into both the LA-2A and the 1176LN. Surprisingly, the CS-1 channel strip has helped liven up some tracks as well, especially some synths and keyboards. Uad is living up to its rep so far, imho. What's even nicer, is the fact that they sent an email offering me my choice of a free plugin. Very cool. I just need to ask for a little input from anyone who has the time. From a list of ten they gave me, I've narrowed it down to three; the Fairchild 670, the LA-3A, and the Cambridge EQ. I am a longtime performing musician and educator. I produce and record myself and my students. I am fortunate to work in many styles and genres. In particular, I like the sounds of nicely represented acoustic instruments-drums, guitars (acoustic, electric, classical etc.), pianos, woodwinds, strings, children's choirs, children's band and orchestra, etc. Although am comfortable with synths and samplers, I do tend to prefer sounds that have an acoustic quality--or rather at least the illusion that someone is actually playing, singing, or performing. What do you think? Which of those three would be the most essential? They all sound great, but is one of them a "gotta have"? Less redundant than the others? Thanks everyone for your time!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Help choosing Uad plugin.

Out of those three free plugins they offered, I use the Cambridge the most.

But that is just me.

Plus; Bombfactory's Fairchild is pretty great, so I wouldn't miss UA's version THAT much. And if you have the 1176 and La-2a, that sorta covers your UA classic compression sound.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:18 AM

If you don't have any good eq, I recommend cambridge too. But why don't you try them first ?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks for your thoughts!! I've just about ruled out the LA-3A for the time being. The 1176 and LA-2A are incredible. The Pro Tools comp and limiters are also very functional.

Other than the CS-1 and Pultec included with the UAD package, my only eq's are the included Pro Tools and Joe Meek Meequalizer (from the Producer's package).

When comparing features between the Cambridge and the Pro Tools 4 band, The Cambridge's variety of shelving and slope parameters and settings is outstanding. I also find the ability to A/B from my edited settings to settings based on those a very cool time saving feature.

So, the Cambridge would be an excellent upgrade (considering it's free!!!). But any thoughts regarding the Fairchild 670? I've heard and read that it's great for steel string acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass and vocals. Some like it on the drum bus or the master bus. The mid/side (lat/vert) feature looks interesting and could help with stereo imaging, overhead mics and location stereo recording.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 AM

Bump.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 PM

Hey Timothy,

first of all grate's to your UAD choice. I use the Plug Ins for PostProduction every day. And I don't want to miss them. The Cambridge is for sure the plug in I use most as well, but considering it to be the cheapest of your possibilities you could probably buy that and take another one for free. I would take the fairchild then, because I like it a lot better, than the bomb factory version. Anyway, if you don't have the money to buy the cambridge separately, take the cambridge. I have at least 10 Eqs in my rig, but the cambridge is still my go to, if I don't need a special color.

Sebastian

Last edited by Basstian; 10-11-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: germans are stupid, when it comes to foreign languages
Old 10-12-2011, 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone!! It's a tough choice indeed. They both are very compelling; the Cambridge for its utilitarian value, and the Fairchild for its mojo. Can't choose! I'll do the demo of each. I have until the end of October to decide. One thing's for sure; I'll probably wind up with both eventually. Too bad some of the others aren't on the list- the EMT Plate, the Precision Maximizer, Precision Limiter, Bus Compressor--I can see how Uad's business model has met with so much success.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks for your help!! After trying the Cambridge and the Fairchild for awhile, I was drawn immediately to the Fairchild--lot'sa mojo on that one!! I can't make it sound bad! On sub busses of drums, vocs, keys, guitars, backvocs--- it's all good. Even on the masterbus. So, in terms of acquiring the Cambridge for its unique set of parameters to be used in a strictly utilitarian application, I suppose I'll save and wait on a deal. In the meantime, I'm gonna play with my new free UAD Cambridge. Niece piece of work!!!!

Last edited by TimothyJohn; 01-15-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: wording
Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Since my last post, I have upgraded to Pro Tools 10---highly recommended!!
Glad I chose the Fairchild. The new Channel Strip in Pro Tools 10 is awesome. So I think the Cambridge EQ for me would have been somewhat redundant from a practical standpoint. The Fairchild continues to be used frequently on the other hand. This is one outstanding plugin imho.