Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2019, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Heat on a 'freeze track'

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
No wayyyy! Why did I never think of that? Too wedded to instrument tracks maybe?! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Mind you if you're running a plug-in with lots of separate outs (I'm thinking something like Superior Drummer) you'd presumably have to have audio tracks that are permanently in input monitoring mode...?

I've just tried it, and yes it does indeed.
WOW, incredible workaround.. and if track folders ever come, the two tracks could be neatly wrapped as one.. The only problem is of course for vanilla users with only 128 audio tracks...
And i ain't ever gonna pay 1400 australian dollars a year to subscribe to ultimate to get 256 audio tracks and not even own the software LOL.

But yeah, for pop tracks and stuff where audio track counts are not necessarily in the big figures, this will work brilliantly. Cheers! it's like when you put a midi controlled effect as an insert on an audio track then need to create a midi track to control it anyway, like aprs and stuff (for example cthulhu).
Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
LOL when I check back to the warmest recorded temps in australia, they are all like 100 years ago.

Maybe on the east coast but not here in Perth.

Four straight days of 41/42 a couple of weeks ago. Pretty brutal start to Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

Four straight days of 41/42 a couple of weeks ago. Pretty brutal start to Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God damn I wish I had time to visit my investment property in South Yarra Melbourne and just chill in the warm awesome climate and look at the beautiful people instead of freezing my tusch off here. About zero degrees if that is even possible as zero is none so none degrees here LOL 😂

And snow and rain at the same time so not even a white Xmas this year either. Remember when I was like 9-10 y/o and we lived in Santa Barbara and went here to Stockholm visiting family on Xmas and there was atleast 5ft snow with snow caved and Snow Art everywhere. ... now it’s just grey and dark and IF we get ”some” snow one night ot rains away the next day! Depression is just around the corner. More and more like these ”winters” and I will move och everything to Melbourne and just live!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
LOL when I check back to the warmest recorded temps in australia, they are all like 100 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
46°C in Adelaide today with fires in suburbs in Angle Vale and Munno Para and also up in the hills:
Cudlee Creek fire heading towards Lenswood & Lobethal - DEC 20 19
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...ethal/11817476

Australia records its hottest day ever – one day after previous record | Australia news | The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...revious-record

NSW and Qld fires: South Australia also faces catastrophic bushfires risk – live
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-live-updates

South Australia breaks temperature records as Port Augusta hits 49.5C
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-updates#img-1

Adelaide’s Summer starts in December and February’s usually our hottest month – so this is just the start of our heatwave season.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Haulin’ HEAT back On Topic!

Originally came here to thank:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
... I'm still rocking PT 10.3.10 ....
I quickly discovered that I could stick my VI's on ordinary Audio tracks (mono or stereo) and with Heat all set to "post", it worked as expected....
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
No wayyyy! Why did I never think of that? Too wedded to instrument tracks maybe?! Grrrrrrrrrrr.
Mind you if you're running a plug-in with lots of separate outs (I'm thinking something like Superior Drummer) you'd presumably have to have audio tracks that are permanently in input monitoring mode...?
I've just tried it, and yes it does indeed.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 PM

Look, along with my studio/songwriting work, I am a self employed Crestron AV automation programmer with many high profile corporate clients from different parts of the United States. A “workaround” as it has been called here for HEAT on VI tracks as elegant as it may be, is still a work around in my world. A work around is still a TEMPORARY solution for a bug or unexpected function that I wasn’t told about before development/deployment. After the dust clears on something like this, I fix the bug or add the function and make it right. That’s why I continue to get work in my software business.

Now I understand that creating and maintaining programs like Pro Tools is way more complex than what I do, and it’s a never ending battle to fix issues without breaking something else. I have taken part in the periodic PT feature surveys from Avid yes, but I just wish there were a more transparent and timely way for us to understand how Avid prioritizes their software development, timelines and how they decide which issues to fix and which ones their programmers are told to just dump in the trash.

After all, with the recent change to a subscription model, aren’t we now more than just customers, but somehow partners? Avid, how can we help you help us?
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:19 AM

If you wish that HEAT implementation changes soon take a look at MIDI
Old 12-20-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
I quickly discovered that I could stick my VI's on ordinary Audio tracks (mono or stereo) and with Heat all set to "post", it worked as expected. Never looked back, and smugly rolled my eyes everytime I saw one of these threads.

Does this still work the same with all the later versions of PT??
Yeah it works, but you still have to have a MIDI track to trigger it.

Quote:
The whole point is to freeze the VI just when the midi is done, and then with PT's excellent freeze, you still have control of all the inserts, automation and volume levels.. All it does is zero the cpu usage and make the midi clip an audio file in place.
Yes you can freeze up to the instrument plugin and have control of the plugins that follow, but you still don't have HEAT.

Quote:
I think the only way to use heat is to mirror each VI with an audio track below it and just drag and drop the midi (love this feature) and disable the original track unless you need to change the notation, and just work in the audio domain and therefore, use heat!
I find it easier to just Commit up to the instrument plugin, automatically hide and make inactive the instrument track and you then have an audio track with HEAT. This is essentially the same as what you're describing, except that the new track already has any plugins following the plugin you committed up to. The problem is if you go back to the original instrument track to make changes, you need to copy the plugins that have changed and any automaton back to the original instrument track. It'd be nice if freezing the instrument plugin then made HEAT avaliable for the track so you wouldn't have to make a new audio track.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-20-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
Look, along with my studio/songwriting work, I am a self employed Crestron AV automation programmer with many high profile corporate clients from different parts of the United States. A “workaround”
There are many types of work-arounds. This isn't a work-around for a bug. The plugin and implementation work as intended. This is a work-around for those wanting to implement a different workflow than was intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
After all, with the recent change to a subscription model, aren’t we now more than just customers, but somehow partners?
First time I've ever heard anyone think like this about subscription pricing. Are you a "partner" with Netflix?
You are just a customer as always.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
God damn I wish I had time to visit my investment property in South Yarra Melbourne and just chill in the warm awesome climate and look at the beautiful people instead of freezing my tusch off here. About zero degrees if that is even possible as zero is none so none degrees here LOL 😂

And snow and rain at the same time so not even a white Xmas this year either. Remember when I was like 9-10 y/o and we lived in Santa Barbara and went here to Stockholm visiting family on Xmas and there was atleast 5ft snow with snow caved and Snow Art everywhere. ... now it’s just grey and dark and IF we get ”some” snow one night ot rains away the next day! Depression is just around the corner. More and more like these ”winters” and I will move och everything to Melbourne and just live!
was 44 here today and the aircon upstairs' best job was 27.. hot day..
if you visit give us a holler and let me shout you a beer. Cheers :)