Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Definitive Bounce to Disk Answer

Hello!

I've read a lot on this forum and others here at the DUC pond and am thoroughly confused. There seems to be a real split in opinions as to whether BTD degrades sound quality. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth investing in a Masterlink to avoid BTD. From what I can tell (after reading dozens of posts), there's one camp (probably a minority) that swears BTD materially harms audio quality and another camp that swears it's absolutely a non-issue.

Here's my "mastering" setup:

PT LE on PC (Digi 002)
Apogee Rosetta 800 D/A to
dbx Quantum to
Cranesong STC-8 to
Manley Massive Passive to
???

Here's the question: Should the ??? above be replaced with "go back into PT and BTD" or "go into a Masterlink -- it's worth the extra money."

Right now, I'm going back into PT via the Rosetta. I BTD'd a mix today and it could just be my ears but it sounded worse while I was "monitoring" during the actual BTD process but then when I played the resulting CD it sounded OK. I know there's some degradation in going from 24 bit to 16, but I was just wondering if anyone with more experience than me has the definitive answer on this issue.

THANKS!!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Definitive Bounce to Disk Answer

Anyone? Help!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:28 AM

You've obviously read all the posts concerning this issue. Every single person has a "definitive answer" to this question. And there is no bounce to disk god that is going to send a bolt of lightning to set us all straight.

The only way you are going to get a definitive answer is for you to run a test and see which way you like the sound better. Then you'll know which way you want to do it. And you'll also be qualified to involve yourself in the next "bounce to disk quality" thread to confuse the next guy that wants a "definitive answer."

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 02-29-2004, 12:00 PM

My theory is: Trust your ears. We are dealing with sound here... If you can't hear it, who cares what a meter, guage or scope says? If it sounds good, go with it, and do it that way from now on, or until you convince yourself otherwise with another method. If after completing a certain process in your recording/mixing/mastering, your sound quality deteriorates, to your ears, I'd say start experimenting with other methods to replace the one that made it deteriorate...

At least this is my theory and so far it has served me well...

Zetajazz44
Old 02-29-2004, 10:33 PM

the easiest way to find out for yourself is output using several techniques and then do blind tests with your friends or others who may consider themselves pros.