Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 12-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Default ProControl Technical Assistance

I have just bought a ProControl Main & Edit to run PT10HD, have core and accell cards, Sync, 96 and a 192D I\O hardware, the correct cables, so far so good.

Issue is when I use HDTDM I get no audio through Pro Control, shows input signal coming in but no actual sound, tried several combinations to get to work, checked I\OI settings etc but nothing, yet when I put back to std Hd via Playback engine built-in line out I get audio?

Anyone any ideas' as to what is wrong, or have I missed something when connecting to MacPro via light pipe
Old 12-28-2017, 03:41 PM

Default Re: PT ProControl Technical Assistance

Might need more info to help, but shooting from the hip; playback (in fact, all Audio going in OR out) gets passed thru whichever interface you set, according to the IO setup. You listed a 96 IO and a 192D. The 192D has ONLY digital ins and outs so its going to need A>D and D>A to be of any use(more on this below). So for now, let's assume the 96 IO is your main interface. You need to go into the IO setup and set outputs 1&2 as your main outputs. Those 2 line outs(TRS jacks) get sent thru a monitor controller(assuming the Pro Control offers this function?) and then to your speakers(assuming powered studio monitors). Read the manual on the Pro Control to see if it offers monitor control for the above setup(if it doesn't, then grab a monitor/source controller like Presonus Central Station, Mackie Big Knob or similar).

Back to the 192D. To get use from this box, you need a way to feed audio to it(A>D) and optionally, return audio from it(D>A). If 44.1 and 48K are sample rates you will work at, then lightpipe can be used and you can get started on a fairly low budget. Behringer ADA8200(the red unit) has 8 mic preamps(decent Midas design) plus 8 outputs with lightpipe(aka ADAT) connections. Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic is another option for both ins AND outs. (IMHO, the focusrite is no better, but does cost way more). If you want MUCH BETTER preamps, the Midas XL-48 is a great 8-channel preamp that can feed into the 192D via lightpipe or AES. What it doesn't have is the 8 outputs(only you know if you need that or not). In any case, clocking needs to be done correctly and the 96 IO and 192 IO need to have Loop sync connections(not sure how the SYNC IO factors in so other folks may offer additional direction)

Given how little experience you have with this stuff, it might be worth paying a local "expert" to come help you get everything configured

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-29-2017, 01:52 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, so connect the 192D to the ADA8000 digital in\out, as I have already connected the 96 via trs, dsub 25 to digital input.

Am I one correct track
Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, so I connect the 192D to the ADA8000 digital in, direct from my McPro then back to the 192D bypassing the 96 as I have already connected the 96 via trs, dsub 25 to digital input, then using a Dsub25-Dsub25 into the ProControl the set the I\O settings.

Am I one correct track and could you provide a drawing\digram if possible as there is not a local expert i could afford being a student
Old 12-29-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rae C View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, so I connect the 192D to the ADA8000 digital in, direct from my McPro then back to the 192D bypassing the 96 as I have already connected the 96 via trs, dsub 25 to digital input, then using a Dsub25-Dsub25 into the ProControl the set the I\O settings.

Am I one correct track and could you provide a drawing\digram if possible as there is not a local expert i could afford being a student
This is confusing, or outright incorrect. There is no connection between the 96 TRS jacks and the 192D. The 96 jacks(the TRS jacks) are all analog connections. Inputs would come from microphone preamps and outputs would feed monitors and/or headphones.

The Behringer ADA8200(I don't recommend the ADA8000) does connect via lightpipe to the 192D. I recommend you start simple and expand later(as your knowledge grows). If you have preamps, what connections do they offer. Assuming the Behringer ADA8200(because its fairly simple), leave the 96 IO out for now(no connections at all and leave it powered off). With only the 192 connected to the card via DIGILINK cable, power things up. Connect the Behringer ADAT output to the top ADAT input(back of the 192D). COnnect a second lightpipe from the top ADAT output of the 192D and route that to the ADAT input of the Behringer. Now open Pro Tools and create a blank session at 24 bit/48KHz. Create a mono audio track and put it in Record-ready(red light flashing). Plug a microphone into input 1 of the behringer and turn the gain up about halfway. With any luck, talking into the mic will make the track's meter move. If not, then you're going to need to open the setup>Hardware menu and configure the 192 so the lightpipe connections work.

This is just scratching the surface to get you started, and logic tells me that the odds are against you figuring it out with my remote attempt at guidance(one more reason I recommend some local help). When you say you can't afford local help, you spent a bunch of money on all this hardware, so you have a choice here; get proper help so you can work what you have, or sell it all and buy a simple system that is "plug & play". Not trying to be a downer, but you jumped into the deep end of the pool without checking the see if the water was hot or cold. Maybe the person that sold you all this should come by and prove to you that it all works? You're a student, but a student of what? Does the school have any recording classes? Even if you aren't in them, other students or the instructor might be willing to help. Just trying to figure a way for you to get assistance for cheap or free

Last edited by albee1952; 12-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 AM

Default Re: ProControl Technical Assistance

Hi dave, yes I had already done that via my ADA8000 , and got input and movement on VU meters on both 192D input channels 1-8 and Pro Con, reset I\O to ADAT etc but still no audio output, records audio just doesn't give payback audio, have been trying different combination of i\o setting this afternoon but to know avail.

So any other suggestions that I could try, everything else is working fine, sync, 96 i\o's etc

Going to contact a local agent after the holidays to see how much they charge
Old 12-31-2017, 08:25 PM

Some things to check(In Pro Tools):
1-Setup>Hardware and verify that the HD card is the selected "audio engine"
2-Setup>IO>Output tab. What is listed on the left side? For the moment, all you really need is a stereo output and it should be "connected"(in the grid matrix) to the same pair of outputs that you have your powered speakers connected to.
3-on the same tab, make sure the default output path is the same as you configured in step 2

Old 01-01-2018, 06:35 AM

Tried that last night, didn't work either, still get same results input ok, output zilch
Old 01-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rae C View Post
I have just bought a ProControl Main & Edit to run PT10HD, have core and accell cards, Sync, 96 and a 192D I\O hardware, the correct cables, so far so good.

Issue is when I use HDTDM I get no audio through Pro Control, shows input signal coming in but no actual sound, tried several combinations to get to work, checked I\OI settings etc but nothing, yet when I put back to std Hd via Playback engine built-in line out I get audio?

Anyone any ideas' as to what is wrong, or have I missed something when connecting to MacPro via light pipe
If you're trying to use the control room section of Pro Control you need to feed analogue signals from your interface via the d-sub on the rear of the main unit. Without this connection the PC is control surface only and the monitor section does nothing. The manual explains the analogue I/O of the main unit monitor section.
Personally I wouldn't bother as the monitor section isn't that great.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Hi
Thanks for that wa thinking about running the analogue output signal from the 96 and leaving the 192 digital as is to see if I can get audio out that way, I use monitoring section which does control the 7:1 spkr system I use