Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Default Re: LE to HD quality difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
You appear to be coming across as trolling here which violates the DUC Terms of Use by the way. If you're not and actually being serious, then I really don't need to say much as your rebuttals and misinformation you continue to post even after being corrected says it all. What it really appears to be though is your misunderstanding on a few things you've been posting and your lack of willingness to actually look and acquire the knowledge first hand yourself. I'm not quoting you and posting replies to intentionally make you wrong here. I and the many others here are correcting all your obvious misinformation that your posting regarding both LE and HD. I've been using LE and HD for well over 10 years now and I can assure you, the hardware always has, since day one when LE was released in 1999, been compensated for the input/output hardware latency including the optical ports.

Again, your lack of knowledge regarding LE shows with every post you continue to make. The hardware input/output in LE is not separated from the H/W buffer like it is in HD. The H/W buffer in LE controls the hardware input-to-output monitoring latency on record arm tracks. This is not the case with HD. The hardware input-to-output latency in HD is completely separate and it's latency is not controlled by the H/W buffer at all. This is one of the genius features that gave HD the upper hand for many many years but is no longer the case now, as a mere i7 has enough power and overhead that the buffer can stay permanently at 32 or 64. This permanent low buffer results in the same low hardware latency as HD now without producing errors or distortions, unlike the slower computer systems from years gone by. This amazing native power was bound to happen but it actually happened 4 years ago.

There have been a few threads over the past 10 years where a bug was discovered(and later fixed multiple times btw) in which the input-to-output compensation in LE was being overcompensated and actually moved early. In the 5.x era it was 11 or so samples on PC. I'm the one who made one of the numerous posts regarding this in years gone by.

Again, what you're quoting is for HD and I already said it all in the above regarding the H/W buffer and how it relates to the input-to-output in LE.

There are numerous non updated errors throughout all the Digidesign documentation. It has taken a small handful of folks at Digi HQ to bring it to the current level that it's at now and they still acknowledge the fact that many areas are behind, can be updated, and even typos fixed etc. Just on the subject of "HD Only" features alone, there are numerous errors still present in the Pro Tools Reference Guide including the Keyboard Shortcuts Guide among many other documents:

...and more endless updates needed regarding features that are no longer HD only.

The above HD only feature you quoted is not the case in this situation though and not an error in the manual. What you're quoting here is an option that can be enabled or disabled in HD only. LE doesn't have the option to enable or disable it because it's always on and always has been since LE was released in 1999. I can understand how one can read this and quickly assume that LE might not have this feature at all just because the check-box isn't present in LE, but It is the ability to enable or disable the feature that is HD only, not the feature itself. It is always on in LE as the H/W buffer is linked to the input-to-output monitoring latency and cannot be disabled. In HD these two features are completely separate from one another. You have a misunderstanding on this(among many of your other posts above) and are quite simply posting your continued misunderstanding without looking at what myself and others have shown you or even investigated yourself to acquire this knowledge first hand.

All the individuals here who have corrected your inaccurate and misinformation regarding both HD and LE work on both systems and both platforms

I'm not quoting you with the intention to make you wrong here with some biased fixation that LE is superior to HD which appears to be the case with you. I am(and others here) simply correcting your very obvious misinformation you've been posting regarding both HD and LE. I use both HD and LE on both Mac and PC. It's my job. Others here who've been correcting your misinformation not only use both, but they actually own both HD and LE including both Mac and PC. Now those are definitely fanboys and Digidesign/Pro Tools supporters if you ask me. You really do need to look at all this deeper to sort out your misunderstandings and acquire the knowledge first hand instead of hearsay.

Shane
actually, you are a troll.

for what its worth, i'm real sure i've been at this quite a bit longer than you or any of the "others" whom you seem to be condescendingly grouping yourself with for imaginary backup.

you don't understand the issue, and no one has corrected anything i stated. nothing i stated needs correction.

its not buffers, its hardware conversion latency that is addressed by the feature in hd. it is not addressable in le.

and, as i stated, even if the le software was compensating for the le converters [not], then you are stuck with the le converters, and that sucks.

so come down off your pompous, holier than thou horse, listen and learn from someone who is smarter than you are. o.k.?

your screenshot disproves your entire rant.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM

MT nailed it. With 15 years of PT TDM/HD experience I have nothing to add to that post.

Looking ahead, I have trouble picturing Digidesign ever pulling off a native version of Protools HD in its current form. With all their rewriting and whatever the hell they're up to besides fading away, I hope they pull a rabbit at some point. Sooner or later HD will be what tape machines have become. Not worth the cost. Right now it's still a good tool and I'd spend the money in a heartbeat if it meant business comes my way.

Shane's not a troll btw but a guy who stays polite and loves to argue the fine points of what a great deal of users consider poor product strategy. The 'Limited Edition' never was made for the benefit of its users, is what many feel.

Stay fuzzy fellas.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterduk View Post
actually, you are a troll.

for what its worth, i'm real sure i've been at this quite a bit longer than you or any of the "others" whom you seem to be condescendingly grouping yourself with for imaginary backup.

you don't understand the issue, and no one has corrected anything i stated. nothing i stated needs correction.

its not buffers, its hardware conversion latency that is addressed by the feature in hd. it is not addressable in le.

and, as i stated, even if the le software was compensating for the le converters [not], then you are stuck with the le converters, and that sucks.

so come down off your pompous, holier than thou horse, listen and learn from someone who is smarter than you are. o.k.?

your screenshot disproves your entire rant.
You've provided many of us with much entertainment the past few days so I'll officially sign off from this one knowing that your inaccurate information regarding HD and LE has all been corrected here for any future reader. I love you, have a beautiful day, and sleep on this for tonight.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Default There is no spoon

Thanks, MT.

But forget about features - it's all about headroom!

Tad says so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLIhW...=youtube_gdata
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Wow. . . I had to check out a couple of Tad's youtube videos just for the entertainment value. Good advice, not!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Tad!

I mean, I thought I knew what I was doing, but Tad set me straight. I need to buy the Newman [sic] microphone. Gee whiz, I would have never known.

I now understand how to make a better record and put more "boom" into my mixes - I just need to switch to Nuendo. I would have never guessed.

Tad, for $45 an hour, you are giving your expertise away. You should charge at least $46.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM

HD? LE? They both 'squawk like a chicken' and people 'pay big bucks, and can't get the BOOM!'

hahahah I love Tad. I figured his perspective would be the voice of reason for this mash of truth and expectation bias.

And, no, I'm not recommending Nuendo :)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post

And, no, I'm not recommending Nuendo :)
I wouldn't either... I'm a Sony Playstation guy myself

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up Re: LE to HD quality difference

Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM

OK, I'll bite. Is that guy for real or just a spoof of some kind? Was pretty funny, though. At least I now know that if I want the BOOOOOM! there's some place I can go to get it. And I'm really pi$$ed that I bought my HD3 now. What a loser I am.

Jeff