Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Time Stretching/Pitch Shifting/Auto-tuning, etc.

I'm trying to read up on the differences between Melodyne, Soundshifter, AutoTune, Pitch'n'Time, and X-Form. But I'm not getting less confused as to what they all do and don't do.

Like most everybody I need:

A pitch shifting program that integrates with PT as an audiosute process (a key command would even be better), so i can quickly change the pitch of one note (or phrase) at a time. Formant shifting is desirable. The quality of the one that comes with PT is unacceptable.

An automatic pitch correcting program for vocals that integrates with DP as a plugin. It should also have a good flexible graphical mode.

A good timestretching program that integrates within PT that shows up as an audio suite process and also works via the TCE tool.

Does any one program do it all?

Can someone recommend one or a combination that is economical/sensible/good/fast?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-23-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Time Stretching/Pitch Shifting/Auto-tuning, etc.

PS
I don't intend this to be another "which sounds better?" I've read all those.
My question is about the functional differences.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 AM

Hi Rob,

I can help you a bit. I have a ton of experience with AutoTune and Serato Pitch. I also have many associates who swear by Melodyne, although personally, I don't wish to use a tool that can't be used inside the shell of Pro Tools. This is about the only thing that has kept me from trying Melodyne for now. However, I have friends who swear by it. Autotune has a couple of weird bugs in it right now, but I can get it to work fantastic in graphic mode. It takes some getting used to, but I think that is probably the case with any pitch correction plug-in. Melodyne is supposed to be the "all in one" method for pitch correction and TCE, but I get great results with Serato Pitch. Plus it works great as a TCE smart tool inside Pro Tools. I find that it has one of the best sounding TCEs and it has the fewest artifacts if you use intelligently.

You should still get some feedback from Melodyne users, and from users of the other products you mentioned. I do know that I've been able to use the two I've outlined for you with stellar results. I am an old dog when it comes to getting or trying other products right now, as I own WAY too many plug-ins. I would certainly encourage you to try AutoTune TDM, Serato Pitch, and Melodyne (they have a free download) and find out which ones work best for you.

Don't just go by what one person tells you. Try them yourself and get some opinions from a couple of people you really trust. Talk to people who know how you like to work, or find a couple people on the DUC who you feel the same way about. You can achieve this by reading a bunch of different posts and you'll quickly discover which people you agree with or who's opinions you share. There's never any one proper solution, and what's most important, is what solution works best for you and your work habits. Hope this helps some.

Scott Goldberg
Old 07-24-2007, 01:50 PM

i have autotune tdm...waves tune and melodyne...the best sounding to me is melodyne..that being said lots of people like the sound of antartes autotune..(it does have a sound) waves tune to me is useless.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Waves Tune is far and away the best tool for tuning vocals. Melodyne which I know very well is great for some things but Tune is king for straight up tuning.

STeve
Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 PM

thanks y'all.

i'm still confused. scott you said melodyne doesnt happen within the shell of protools, but that it's supposed to be a great TCE...and I've noticed that they sell a plug in version but it's far less expensive than their top of the line package.

Can anyone simplify for me what Melodyne does and doesnt do in regard to my initial post?

Can it correct a note or phrase at a time from within protools (like Serato)?
Can it autotune as a plugin (like Antares AutoTune)?
Can it time stretch from within Protools (like Serato)?
Do you still need to export audio to Melodyne as a separate program for any reason?

Can anyone recommend the most sensible (economical) way to have all the functionality mentioned above, given that all these products at this point sound good enough (When I used Antares AutoTune in the past, it sounded fine to me)?

thanks again,
rob
Old 07-24-2007, 03:02 PM

The Melodyne plug-in works similar to the stand alone, but uses a memory buffer within ProTools to do it's magic. So you have to load an audio segment into the buffer, process it and then record it back onto a track. This works very well but it's not the best tool for all TCE jobs. I own pretty much all of the tools, but if I had to start somewhere it would be Waves Tune for vocal tuning and Digidesign X-Form for TCE. The Melodyne plug-in is a decent alternative to Waves Tune and it includes some great tools for grooving vocals, but it wouldn't work as well as X-Form for stretching stereo tracks. I much prefer the sound of X-Form to Pitch n Time, but it works much slower.

STeve
Old 07-24-2007, 05:00 PM

Steve,

I just upgraded to Studio 3.2 and the difference on polyphonic stereo track is amazing! I imported a stereo wav file of a song my son was trying to learn (difficult piano part) and slowed it from 120 bpm to 40 bpm (about 67% slower) and the artifacts that Melodyne used to produce are significantly decreased. At 60 bpm they were almost non-existent. This is for the program though, I have no idea when they are going to update the plug-in.

I would agree that for an Audiosuite situation X-Form is the way to go. Digi really handled their business on that plug and Waves Tune works really well also.

Erik
Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Rob, there are 5 different versions of Melodyne, but we'll forget Melodyne Essential since it's bundled only. I also think that Melodyne Uno is too short on features and integration to mention here.

Melodyne plugin does not support AudioSuite. All audio must be transferred in realtime into the plugin before you can edit anything. After the transfer Melodyne will go through a quick detection process, and then you can get to work.

You can edit a note or phrase easily from within PT.

You can autotune (as mentioned above, after the detection process). Select notes, hit "Correct Pitch", set percentage and hit OK.

You can timestretch within PT.

No import/export options in the plugin. You do these things in realtime, so you either transfer or play back to/from the plugin.

I use Melodyne plugin and Studio. Studio is the most powerful of the Melodyne versions, with too many features to list here. I'm a freelance betatester for Celemony, so I'm biased. I like Melodyne, but I also liked AutoTune for the period I used it.

As mentioned by Scott you really should try all alternatives before committing to one. Know your tools, and the clients will love you.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM

in my experience no one "tuner" covers all voices equally

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig