Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Default Toroid Transformer for Original Control|24

Between no support for PT11 and the toroid transformer in my original Control|24 going south, I believe the universe may be trying to tell me something

Anyway, do any of you fine folks know where I can obtain a replacement toroid transformer (attached picture of my failed unit)? The model number on the part is E115159 - part number is TI-67341C.

Also, can anyone confirm that these transformers have internal thermal fuses or not? I am measuring no voltage from the secondary outputs on this thing.

I left the Control|24 on for a couple of hours while I was out of my control room. When I came back in, I was greeted by a PT message indicating it couldn't communicate with the Control|24. The Control|24 appeared to be totally powered off. There was a pungent smell in the room that smelled suspiciously like the toroid transformer does now that I have it removed.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can impart!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control 24 Transformer.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Toroid Transformer for Original Control|24

I don't know how the PSU is arranged and what board the transformer is in but have you seen this thread? http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296733.

You might be able to soon buy a whole working Control 24 for a lot less than a PSU repair....
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I don't know how the PSU is arranged and what board the transformer is in but have you seen this thread? http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296733.

You might be able to soon buy a whole working Control 24 for a lot less than a PSU repair....

I have seen this thread. It refers to a later power-supply manufactured by Skynet (yep) for a bit later revision of the Control|24 than mine.

My Control|24 is one of the original run. It has a toroidal (donut-shaped) transformer that is bolted to the inner casing of the Control|24. This is the part that has failed.

I'm going to give this thing one more repair go. If I can't get it done, I may be one of those people selling it, either whole with a failed power-supply, or parting out.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Didn't those original power supplies have a lot more problems than the Skynet ones? Personally I would give up on the Toroidal transformer and look for a used Skynet one, assuming they are plug compatible (I don't know). Even if you have to pay Skynet to repair it.

If you _really_ want to fix this. You might find the ratings on the boards the transformer connects to. Which of the windings are open-circuit? Are all the windings still isolated? If the primary is open-circuit then yes I'd expect a thermal fuse. I'd like to think that anybody designing a device like this would spec a thermal fuse primary transformer for saftey. You can cut it open to look. No loss if you do. Interesting to see how these are made. The fuse is often well buried/thermally bonded to the coils.

I normally enjoy the hunt of finding replacement parts like this, but this part does not show up on any cross references. Bits of Toroidal International are still around as part of Noratel, if you were desperate you could try contacting them.

I really hate it when vendors do these private label parts and don't write specs on them. You will need to work out what the primary and secondary voltages/rations are (you can sometimes experiment with a signal generator and scope) and might get lucky looking for a similar toroidal transformer. And I'd just call places that might work on these/folks parting out Control 24s.

You could trade it on an Icon, I don't think Avid cares if the trades are working

And who the hell is Nancy?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Didn't those original power supplies have a lot more problems than the Skynet ones? Personally I would give up on the Toroidal transformer and look for a used Skynet one, assuming they are plug compatible (I don't know). Even if you have to pay Skynet to repair it.

If you _really_ want to fix this. You might find the ratings on the boards the transformer connects to. Which of the windings are open-circuit? Are all the windings still isolated? If the primary is open-circuit then yes I'd expect a thermal fuse. I'd like to think that anybody designing a device like this would spec a thermal fuse primary transformer for saftey. You can cut it open to look. No loss if you do. Interesting to see how these are made. The fuse is often well buried/thermally bonded to the coils.

I normally enjoy the hunt of finding replacement parts like this, but this part does not show up on any cross references. Bits of Toroidal International are still around as part of Noratel, if you were desperate you could try contacting them.

I really hate it when vendors do these private label parts and don't write specs on them. You will need to work out what the primary and secondary voltages/rations are (you can sometimes experiment with a signal generator and scope) and might get lucky looking for a similar toroidal transformer. And I'd just call places that might work on these/folks parting out Control 24s.

You could trade it on an Icon, I don't think Avid cares if the trades are working

And who the hell is Nancy?
Thanks for the knowledge Darryl! I'm not sure the old power supplies and the Skynet ones are plug compatible. That would indeed be an easier fix and one I'd probably jump on.

I'm expecting that the thermal fuse on the primary side has blown as I am measuring an open circuit across that side.

I wish I had the budget for an Icon, then again maybe not. Given how Avid is handling the Control 24 and PT11 (dropping compatibility), this is likely my last Avid hardware device. Too bad really.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Why try Focusrite tech support? Their names on the part. Also there are any number of transformer rewinding services out there. Although I don't know if they rewind toroidal transformers or not.

The Dude may have some info.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Why try Focusrite tech support? Their names on the part. Also there are any number of transformer rewinding services out there. Although I don't know if they rewind toroidal transformers or not.

The Dude may have some info.
I will do this!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:59 PM

Hi,

Focusrite provided the preamps but the surfaces were built by Digidesign / Avid

I would expect the power connections to be the same as the skynet ones? I made a post a while back re getting mine fixed and it shows all the connections I think! It's quite straight forward really and should be obvious by looking at the 2 supplies!

On the skynet ones its generally the capacitors that go and they replace them with better ones etc

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Focusrite provided the preamps but the surfaces were built by Digidesign / Avid

I would expect the power connections to be the same as the skynet ones? I made a post a while back re getting mine fixed and it shows all the connections I think! It's quite straight forward really and should be obvious by looking at the 2 supplies!

On the skynet ones its generally the capacitors that go and they replace them with better ones etc

Chris
I would be nice to know if the two PSUs are interchangeable. FWIW googling Toroidal turned up a transformer company in Maryland here with oversea subsidiaries. Whether or not they are related to the original manufacturer is anyone's guess.

How much more complex rewinding a toroidal transformer is compared to a regular iron core style transformer is I can't say. But there are plenty of transformer repair or rewinding services out there. However if swapping in a conventional Skynet PSU is feasible in the long run that might be a better choice.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I would be nice to know if the two PSUs are interchangeable.
Yes, this would be very helpful to know! I've searched and haven't found a definitive answer to this - are the Skynet power supplies plug compatible with the older Digidesign / Avid labeled units that came in the original Control|24's? Can I install a Skynet power supply in my old Control|24?

Thanks for any help on this people!