Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM

Default Eleven (the Plug-In)

Hi all,

Newb here. New to PT and the whole DAW thing.

Just got an M-box w/ 8.04. It came with some limited version of Eleven (only one or two amp options), which at first listen didn't do too much for me - although to be fair, I haven't really played around with it yet to really kick the tires.

I will definitely need to get some kind of amp sim plug-in. I will NOT be spending $ for an Eleven Rack or anything. I'd be looking for something that had a lot of options for different sounds, as I tend to write stuff across different styles/genres.

So I was wondering if people here would recommend the Eleven Plug-In? If not, is there another option you would recommend?

I might be able to pick up a "used" version of Eleven from a friend of a friend. Any issues here? I assume the license can be transferred through ILok? Are there multiple versions of Eleven or are they all the same?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Eleven (the Plug-In)

There are just 2 versions of the plugin (other than the free version that comes with Protools). Eleven LE and Eleven TDM. TDM is just for an HD TDM system, which it sounds like you don't have. So you want Eleven LE.

It's fine to buy it from your friend. Whatever price you buy it for, one of you has to pay the $25 transfer fee to Ilok. Technically that would be him, since he's the one transferring. But he needs to get that money from you, or include it in the selling price, etc.

The plugin is great, and I highly recommend it. The only drawback, is that the plugin version does not come with any effects (pedals, delays, etc.) whereas the Eleven Rack does. And there's a new expansion pack coming out for the Eleven Rack which will have more amps and effects, but as of now, it won't be available for the plugin.

So if guitar effects are important to you, and you're on a limited budget, you may want to look into other amp software that has effects, such as Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Pod Farm, etc.

On the other hand, I think the amps of the Eleven plugin (or rack) are some of the best available. If it's not much money I would grab it. Certain effects, like delay, you can use the standard effects that come with Protools.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM

I agree with nst7. The LE plugin is great. Not only does it come with several amps but the presets are great too. I'll never use an amp to record again.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckWithMCE View Post
Hi all,

Newb here. New to PT and the whole DAW thing.

Just got an M-box w/ 8.04. It came with some limited version of Eleven (only one or two amp options), which at first listen didn't do too much for me - although to be fair, I haven't really played around with it yet to really kick the tires.

I will definitely need to get some kind of amp sim plug-in. I will NOT be spending $ for an Eleven Rack or anything. I'd be looking for something that had a lot of options for different sounds, as I tend to write stuff across different styles/genres.

So I was wondering if people here would recommend the Eleven Plug-In? If not, is there another option you would recommend?

I might be able to pick up a "used" version of Eleven from a friend of a friend. Any issues here? I assume the license can be transferred through ILok? Are there multiple versions of Eleven or are they all the same?

Thanks!
The Eleven Plug-in sounds great, but as mentioned it does not include any effects. However you could use the included effects in PT or buy a Guitar Effects plug in such as the BBE Stomp Ware

However great strides have been made in other Guitar Amp Sim plug-ins. Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 4 sound much better than they ever have, and both include tons of Amps and Effects. Overloud TH2 also sounds really great IMHO. There are many different sims to choose from, which i will list below, and be sure to check out each one and listen to the samples. Many of the plugins i will list allow you to Demo the software for FREE for 14 - 30 days, and Waves has GTR Solo free for 1 year. Test out as many as you want, and buy the one that works best for you. Just to note, you should be able to find Eleven LE for $50 to $75 on eBay or right here in the Buy/Sell section

Amplitube 3

FREE - Guitar Rig 4 Player

Guitar Rig 4 PRO

Guitar Rig 4 is included in Komplete 7, its a great bundle to have.

Waves GTR3

FREE for 1 year- Waves GTR SOLO

Line 6 POD Farm 2

Softube Vintage Amp Room

Softube Metal Amp Room

Overloud TH2

Peavey Revalver MK III

Eleven LE

And of course there is the Eleven Rack which would be my #1 suggestion even though you said you will not purchase one. If you do some digging and price matching you should be able to get one for as low as $600

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-09-2011, 03:33 AM

Thanks everybody!

I have to say that, as a newb I'm really impressed and thankful for the helpfulness and enthusiasm of the members here on these forums.

As for not buying an 11R, its really a price/budget issue for now.

I knew going in that I would have to get a new computer for PT, and will probably start my planning within the month. After reading and posting a few times here for over a year (even though I didn't get my Mbox until around new years), I've decided to build a PC, even though I've never done anything like that before!! You'll be seeing me asking a lot of questions in the PC build thread in the PT LE forum soon!

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:13 AM

So I'm going to try the free demo of Pod Farm 2. This is my first time downloading plug-ins. I assume I need to have them installed in a specific place to work/access correctly. There is an existing plugins folder from my pro tools install - I assume I select this folder??

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckWithMCE View Post
So I'm going to try the free demo of Pod Farm 2. This is my first time downloading plug-ins. I assume I need to have them installed in a specific place to work/access correctly. There is an existing plugins folder from my pro tools install - I assume I select this folder??

Thanks!
It will install to the correct folder by itself, like most plug ins do. just use the default.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 PM

I've tried them all and never been 100% happy with any of them, I recently bought the 11 rack and can honestly say I have found what I was looking for.
Nothing I have ever tried comes close to it's sounds and more importantly it's feel.
That being said, our last album was almost entirely recorded using pod farm, and a Blackstar 1w valve amp mic'ed with an AT2020 for those bits that I felt I needed more feel/interaction.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 AM

That's cool.

I downloaded it last night and played around w/ it for just a bit. Seems OK.

I'm struck by how many people rave about the 11R compared to the others.

As I mentioned above - an 11R will not be in my buget for a long time (have other needs to fill), but I will definitely pick up the plug-in at some point. I'll get another one (such as Pod Fam, guitar rig, etc.) as well, as options are always good.

Thanks Everybody!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Even if you don't like the amps in Pod Farm, I think the effects alone are worth it. And they're useful for much more than just guitar.