Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 AM

Default Pt 8.0.4 le

I'm running PT 8 LE w/ a digi 002 console on an iMac late 2009 model. Looking for suggestions on setting up my external behringer preamp. The preamps built-in the digi 002 sound pretty decent but i know if i can figure put how to setup the preamp it would sound much better.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Pt 8.0.4 le

What Behringer preamp do you have? I would doubt that it will be much of an improvement either way (not trying to be a dick).

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 AM

I agree with "Dick" above Behringer preamps and their stuff in general sounds horrid and so maybe you would be better off with the 002 pre's and get a real preamp later on..

Best
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Haha no offense taken. I have a Behringer UltraGain Pro. Just seems like when I have the mic plugged directly into the digi002 console i have to turn the gain up more than half. I guess if it sounds good it sounds good no matter where the gain is sitting?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbagsav View Post
Haha no offense taken. I have a Behringer UltraGain Pro. Just seems like when I have the mic plugged directly into the digi002 console i have to turn the gain up more than half. I guess if it sounds good it sounds good no matter where the gain is sitting?
True this is. If you want to move "up" in sound quality, start by deciding how much money you can afford, and how many inputs you really need. Assuming you are happy working at 44.1 or 48K, there are several options, from a slight improvement for a few hundred bucks, up to serious improvement at $1500 and up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 PM

You should test this:
1. if the gain is different, the sound/noise raport is ??
you may found out that even if the gain on the 002 preamps are higher, the SNR is much better. That is you're using a good, shielded cable. Sometimes a cheap cable can ruin the whole chain of sound.
2. the spectrum. You should check if the frequency spectrum is the same ( I doubt it). You may found that both are modifying the sound. Record and compare.
3. Your preamp... is one of the chain pieces. Your microphone is ?
A cheap mic in an expensive pream will sound as cheap as an expensive mic will sound in a cheap preamp.
The rule in sound engineering is: they are no rules but ears.
So listen, compare, test and decide what makes you happy.
A little story:
An old sound engineer was known for his "sound mark". Every recording, masterpiece, had a unique, trade mark sound.
A client, that was in a tour of that studio, discover that the studio had an old, cheap, unknown mark, mic preamp.
"Why the hell do you use this old piece of sh_t when the tehnology is now so much better?" the client asks...
The old sound engineer said:
Well my boy, that old cheap thrash, or how you called it, make my sound. Nobody knows HOW I DO THAT. Even if you'll find that junk, you will never know what is in my mind and how I work and how I tweak all the other studio gear to make my "sound".

So test it, compare it, listen. Listen to everything, and what makes you happy, that is what you're looking for.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 AM

Ok I think I'll run some test recordings & see what I like. Probably just end up tossing the preamp back in the closet haha.
I have a Rode NT1-A & a Nuemann TL103 mic. I like the sound of the Rode plugged directly into the 002 console but the Nuemann sounds more harsh & honky tonky. But ran through the preamp it sounds muddy & over compressed.