Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 AM

Default workspace auditioning 3/4 loops problems

Hi Ive come across a weird issue with workspace and 3/4 loops from some loop libraries not reading as 3/4 from wavs but do read as 3/4 from aifs. Im auditioning in the workspace using tempo matching and the 3/4 wavs all play back in a 3/4 session as if its a 4/4 session - wrong speed and a beat of silence. Same loop in the provided Aif format works fine but the issue for me is ive rarely installed aifs alongside wavs - dont know why this happens and have asked looploft about their kits i own but wondered if anyone else has seen this? Some libraries are fine but others not and 7/8 loops are no problem and it is repeatable in PT10... This is repeatable when dragging loops into a session track with aifs fitting and wavs not.

PT12 workspace does do some weirder stuff as well like dropping half a loop to silence and doubling speed after a few repeats. It also has a weird habit of dropping the first beat of a click when played back by selecting certain regions on certain bars but not all.

I do love a bit of weirdness for inspiration but my use of loops is limited to a set up for a song and then lost and has always been a nice quick way to do arrangements without delving into all the time consuming possibilities of midi

if anyone can help thanks

mick
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Re: workspace auditioning 3/4 loops problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickblah View Post
Hi Ive come across a weird issue with workspace and 3/4 loops from some loop libraries not reading as 3/4 from wavs but do read as 3/4 from aifs. Im auditioning in the workspace using tempo matching and the 3/4 wavs all play back in a 3/4 session as if its a 4/4 session - wrong speed and a beat of silence. Same loop in the provided Aif format works fine but the issue for me is ive rarely installed aifs alongside wavs - dont know why this happens and have asked looploft about their kits i own but wondered if anyone else has seen this? Some libraries are fine but others not and 7/8 loops are no problem and it is repeatable in PT10... This is repeatable when dragging loops into a session track with aifs fitting and wavs not.

PT12 workspace does do some weirder stuff as well like dropping half a loop to silence and doubling speed after a few repeats. It also has a weird habit of dropping the first beat of a click when played back by selecting certain regions on certain bars but not all.

I do love a bit of weirdness for inspiration but my use of loops is limited to a set up for a song and then lost and has always been a nice quick way to do arrangements without delving into all the time consuming possibilities of midi

if anyone can help thanks

mick
system info ??? mac, PC, etc ... it all helps !! thank you

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-13-2017, 12:34 AM

Sorry wasnt clear - only tried on Macs - from Stdio Mac Pro and MBP2015 full memories etc etc. OSX Sierra discovered on also Mavericks.
PT 12.7/8 and 10.39 repeated on though as i said certain issues only on Sierra like workspace auditioning speed changes

mick
Old 12-15-2017, 08:33 PM

Having major issues here with silence.. when i am trying to audition loops to playback of pro tools, say i have 4 bars looping in PT arrange, workspace preview goes silent after first loop.. No matter what file i try to preview after that, it shows a visual meter that it's playing, but no sound. I have to close workspace and open up a new one and it works momentarily again. It's a big problem and is killing the auditioning of loops for me in PT 12.8.2 completely.

Since we are both having major issues it's obviously a bug. I don't have support coverage right now, if you do, perhaps you can contact avid? if not let's hope somebody else picks it up and can. will renew support when i have some $$.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Having major issues here with silence.. when i am trying to audition loops to playback of pro tools, say i have 4 bars looping in PT arrange, workspace preview goes silent after first loop.. No matter what file i try to preview after that, it shows a visual meter that it's playing, but no sound. I have to close workspace and open up a new one and it works momentarily again. It's a big problem and is killing the auditioning of loops for me in PT 12.8.2 completely.

Since we are both having major issues it's obviously a bug. I don't have support coverage right now, if you do, perhaps you can contact avid? if not let's hope somebody else picks it up and can. will renew support when i have some $$.
hi TNM, can you be very specific, in steps, for what i need to do to Reproduce this .. if you wish to share a simple session with me offline just PM me .. happy to help ..

i will push it up the food chain for you .. thank you john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-17-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
hi TNM, can you be very specific, in steps, for what i need to do to Reproduce this .. if you wish to share a simple session with me offline just PM me .. happy to help ..

i will push it up the food chain for you .. thank you john
Hi, very kind of you.

Ok, this is interesting, I, just one time, got a message that my disk was overloading so i put the disk cache up, or i suppose this is what peeps refer to as the ramdisk? Anyway i set it to 2GB.

When i put it back to normal, the problem seems to be ok ish.. I will do some more tests tonight... So it's a specific bug with the disk cache, *i think*.

It was reproducible here. I just would open a new workspace with alt/i, i have auto preview and tempo sync selected, i click on a wav file and then another for example, they preview fine, but if i do it whilst my actual project is playing back, it will only work for a second or two, then go completely mute. It becomes impossible to audition any more audio files no matter which one i click on. They just output no sound, even though the meter shows in the little workspace view. It was kind of driving me batty, and i have been purposely avoiding drum loops since then, except for the one time i tested it with disk settings back at "normal".

I will put it back to 2gb and other values, and do some tests, and get back to you.. I'll see exactly what disk preference settings, if that's indeed the issue, i can 100% reproduce it with.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 PM

Well John, guess what, it's behaving perfectly now. Go figure. Murphy is a bad man lol.

Now, i am wondering if it was a low memory issue and using 2gb ram disk. However.. i have only gotten a low memory warning once when using PT, when istat showed me with 2 GB still free. It has happened once in these 2 years.. point is, pro tools warns when mem is low. So i have no idea what happened.

all i can do is preview loops more than usual over the next 2 weeks and report if it happens again, and exactly what I did for it to happen. The disk setting is currently at 512mb, i only use small loops or maybe one vocal track, so that's fine for me. All is previewing well, in sync and looping continuously.

Cheers