Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Pro Tools MTRX

You are comparing a new product and a product at its end of life. And when Avid runs down the HD IO they can lower the price of the MTRX.

Do I need to draw a picture... Avid has exited making interfaces, the HD IO will be their last. They no longer have the technical resources to develop interfaces, and exiting that may be the best idea anyhow. They are now rebadging other companies products. Same in the video space. Anybody’s equipping a studio should think through what IO chassis they want to deploy and what one will be more flexible and have a long term future.

The HD IO is not competitive against products like the Apogee Symphony (more flexible, twice the density), and Avid needed a story with monitoring control etc. and seemed to have made a good decision. Hopefully as well the Dante story will become more important in future.

And that pricing comparison is not quite fair as the MTRX chassis has more IO expansion/flexibility compared to a HD IO.

If you want lowest cost 16x16 class IO there are lots of options out there, including non DigiLink interfaces. The HD IO just dies not look that competitive, say compared to an Apogee Symphony II or some similar products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-01-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools MTRX

I doubt they are going to lower the price of the MTRX anytime soon... even if HD i/o runs out.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 AM

A important question, has the MTRX a radiator fan, like the other I/O Boxes on the side? If yes, how noisy is the fan?
Because, the fan from the I/O Box was still ok, a little bit louder as a good pc, but I dont needed a special cases!
I hope the MTRX is silent? :)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeHD View Post
A important question, has the MTRX a radiator fan, like the other I/O Boxes on the side? If yes, how noisy is the fan?
Because, the fan from the I/O Box was still ok, a little bit louder as a good pc, but I dont needed a special cases!
I hope the MTRX is silent? :)
There is no fan on the DAD AX32 which is what the MTRX is made from.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
There is no fan on the DAD AX32 which is what the MTRX is made from.
Pretty sure I saw/heard a fan in my MTRX – also according to the DAD manual, there are two “Ultra low noise internal fan with speed adaptation
to the temperature”.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 AM

My answer is "There is no fan" on the side like MatzeHD asked about.
Unlike the 192's there is no fan on the side. If there is a fan internally it is
barely audible... EVER! If you have to look it up in the manual then you already have your answer. A fan is not an issue with the MTRX or DAD AX32.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
My answer is "There is no fan" on the side like MatzeHD asked about.
Unlike the 192's there is no fan on the side. If there is a fan internally it is
barely audible... EVER! If you have to look it up in the manual then you already have your answer. A fan is not an issue with the MTRX or DAD AX32.
Heh, fair enough I'm still putting mine in a machine room!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Question/possible feature request: is there a way for the sync source/sample rate/adapt to to be associated with a monitor source? I'd love to be able to select my CD player as a source without having to change DADman configurations, or having to insert a sample rate converter between the CD player and the MTRX. (Usually I'm running of the MTRX's internal clock at 96k.)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:59 PM

How are you inputing the CD signal into the MTRX. The add-on AES card has auto SRC (not the built into the box AES though)

As far as I can tell, much of the Pro Mon side does not talk to the DADman Conf. I think it'd be quite complicated to define what is "an input source" seeing as any input can be one and you can have any output (or multiple outputs). If I route two different sample rate input sources to two different outputs, what would take precedent? It would get confusing. Unlike something like a Grace m906, you can have multiple inputs and outputs active and controllable so there's no one-to-one input to output relationship.

I do know that if you have mismatching clocks on input sources while the "sum" option is selected, it'll change to switch mode for the output monitoring.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
How are you inputing the CD signal into the MTRX. The add-on AES card has auto SRC (not the built into the box AES though)
Just the built-in AES. The add-on AES card would be an expensive solution to this problem

Quote:
As far as I can tell, much of the Pro Mon side does not talk to the DADman Conf. I think it'd be quite complicated to define what is "an input source" seeing as any input can be one and you can have any output (or multiple outputs). If I route two different sample rate input sources to two different outputs, what would take precedent? It would get confusing. Unlike something like a Grace m906, you can have multiple inputs and outputs active and controllable so there's no one-to-one input to output relationship.
Hmm, that's a fair point, not sure if there's an elegant solution to this.