Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Random CPU Spikes (-9173 errors)

I've proved and there seems to be empirical evidence that there's a substantial difference between the amount of -9173 thrown up in 12.4 and 12.5/6/7/8/8.1

However this is not to say 12.4 will never -9173. So perhaps the additional internet polling of subsequent versions has added or worsened an existing problem.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbree View Post
I've proved and there seems to be empirical evidence that there's a substantial difference between the amount of -9173 thrown up in 12.4 and 12.5/6/7/8/8.1

However this is not to say 12.4 will never -9173. So perhaps the additional internet polling of subsequent versions has added or worsened an existing problem.
What was added in 12.5 / 12.6 so ?

I've heard some people getting a slightly better situation with 12.4 (the studio where I work is 12.5).
Old 09-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Try uninstalling Cloud Collaboration - and Application Manager.
I used to do that in older versions, but things seem to have changed from 12.8 (maybe earlier, because 12.7, 12.7.1 didn't work well for me and I skipped them) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. When I uninstall them, PT doesn't start, and I have to reinstall it. Instead, I now just disable them.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Strongly agree. I tried 12.4 for 3 months and my conclusions are the same as yours. Unfortunately Avid is not willing to let me use 12.4 permanently and they want me to buy reinstatement upgrade plan to do it. ridiculous
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 AM

For everyone that has spiked here, I have an IMPORTANT question :

On what Drive do you mix ? Internal SSD ? External HDD ? External SSD ?

And how full is your drive 20/30/80 % ?

And finally what Cache Size are you using ? (it's can be see with the buffer size window).

And finally finally (haha ^^), do you often clean your session with (Mac) Command Shift U / Command Shift B ?

I've tried to change my workflow and I've moved to a cheap External HDD, pretty full, I've put the disk cache to 10 Go, and I regularly clean the session. The spikes are a lot less prominent.
If I have spike I have to provoke them a lot more : playing the song and moving really fast between all the fader in the mixwindow, printing the song and doing some other stuff on the internet if the song is pretty charged in plugins etc...
Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 AM

Thanks for this but these sort of fixes

1. Imply that the -9173 are in some way because of some action or inaction of the user.

2. don't help those who are getting -9173 on empty sessions

(I have tested using internal flash, internal SSDs and external Avastor Avid approved USB3/Firewire Hard drives on empty and semi full drives with 3-5gb cache.)

These videos are the most conclusive evidence I could come up with that somethings not right:

Avid only plugins, wifi on using AMD video:

Link

Avid only plugins, wifi off using AMD video:

Link

Avid only plugins, wifi off, integrated graphics:

Link

Avid only plugins, wifi off, integrated graphics, fans forced to high speed:

Link

If you can't be bothered to watch the upshot is that with wifi off and using the integrated graphics and forcing the fan speed on a 2015 MacBook Pro 2.8 i7 reduces -9173s.

It appears that graphic activity is causing or exacerbating this problem as can be proved if you download the demo song I linked a few pages back and flick through the window configuration memory locations whist playing.

It also appears to my untrained eye that processor throttling is interacting with certain plugins code in an undesirable way. This would maybe explain why Avid themselves told me to remove Eleven and Abbey Road Plates from my test sessions.

It seems that perhaps additional internet activity by pro tools is also a factor as born out by post 12.4 versions throwing up more -9173s

Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this but these sort of fixes

1. Imply that the -9173 are in some way because of some action or inaction of the user.

2. don't help those who are getting -9173 on empty sessions

(I have tested using internal flash, internal SSDs and external Avastor Avid approved USB3/Firewire Hard drives on empty and semi full drives with 3-5gb cache.)

These videos are the most conclusive evidence I could come up with that somethings not right:

Avid only plugins, wifi on using AMD video:

Link

Avid only plugins, wifi off using AMD video:

Link

Avid only plugins, wifi off, integrated graphics:

Link

Avid only plugins, wifi off, integrated graphics, fans forced to high speed:

Link

If you can't be bothered to watch the upshot is that with wifi off and using the integrated graphics and forcing the fan speed on a 2015 MacBook Pro 2.8 i7 reduces -9173s.

It appears that graphic activity is causing or exacerbating this problem as can be proved if you download the demo song I linked a few pages back and flick through the window configuration memory locations whist playing.

It also appears to my untrained eye that processor throttling is interacting with certain plugins code in an undesirable way. This would maybe explain why Avid themselves told me to remove Eleven and Abbey Road Plates from my test sessions.

It seems that perhaps additional internet activity by pro tools is also a factor as born out by post 12.4 versions throwing up more -9173s
Have you tried to disable hyper threading ?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilla View Post
Have you tried to disable hyper threading ?
Yes!

Look around in this ^ thread feels like deja vu!

There's swathes of people including me who are getting -9173s on 30-40% with third party plug-ins.. It appears that yes Avid stock plugins seem to start playing up when pushing the processor a little harder, but not excessively so. Try downloading this version of the Avid Demo song which only has Avid plugins in it and try it for yourself. With hyper threading disabled it still only hits 68% maximum on my MacBook Pro. Once you start flicking through those memory locations watch the 9173s flow. The "Adding virtual cores to real cores" argument is placing blame at the user door, but doesn't add up..

Last edited by Burbree; 09-07-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yes!

Look around in this ^ thread feels like deja vu!

There's swathes of people including me who are getting -9173s on 30-40% with third party plug-ins.. It appears that yes Avid stock plugins seem to start playing up when pushing the processor a little harder, but not excessively so. Try downloading this version of the Avid Demo song which only has Avid plugins in it and try it for yourself. With hyper threading disabled it still only hits 68% maximum on my MacBook Pro. Once you start flicking through those memory locations watch the 9173s flow. The "Adding virtual cores to real cores" argument is placing blame at the user door, but doesn't add up..

Been my point all along. Avid are effectively charging their user base to beta their product. They blame us for the architectural flaw in their own product and there are only crickets chirping when users explain that the spikes occur with either no plugins at all; empty sessions; only avid plugins; no wi fi, wif fi on....blah blah blah. Bottom line they have screwed up their audio engine somewhere since making track freezing and offline bouncing possible. Which for those of us experienced enough to remember PTLE without these features and yearning for them, now find ourselves cringing.

I will go ahead and admit it: while I was studying I ran PTLE 8 on a MacBook Pro with cracked plugin from waves, softube, soundtoys...the list goes on. That machine ran SOLID. Now I use a totally 100% paid for system with plugins only from Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, and IK Multimedia and I am seriously S$%TTING myself every time I work in front of clients because the stability deficit is utterly embarrassing.

And Avid effectively blame me for my computer(s).
stooges on here are all "I wouldn't use a Lenovo for audio" blah blah.... news flash: ANY modern computer with i7 chipset should stably run a DAW with 32 channels of audio at 128bps latency without plugins instantiated. EASY.

Screw Avid. Pro Tools is lost for now...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 PM

I accept my post is not helpful if you are trying to diagnose your own issues.

Sorry about that.

But TBH I am not even bothering to try to solve it anymore. I am simply hoping that the Avid code boffins are secretly (it would have to be secretly because they haven't admitted any fault at this point) fixing the obvious code problem they sold us and will resolve it in an update soon.

AVID- A Very Insidious Disease