Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2001, 01:56 PM

Default Mixing Compatability

So I am wondering if I am just in the dark here. So Lets say I track a band and make indivdual files for each song. Then I start to mix within PT anmd I get good EQ and all that on all the channels and then the next sonbg I wanna mix is very similar hyow can I transfer all the EQ and plugins and bussing to the next song?
Jesse
Old 06-29-2001, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Mixing Compatability

Here's how I've dealt with this situation in the past...

Once you have all the plug-ins and other settings the way you like them in one song, use the "Save Session Copy In" option to save a duplicate of the session in another location. Next, open that new session and delete all the audio from it and save it. That session then becomes a template that you will use for the rest of the songs.

Open the template session and import the audio for the next song, "save session copy in" and exit. When you exit, DO NOT SAVE, or you will have to delete all the audio once again before doing the next song. Do this until you have all the songs.

It's been a while since I've had to do this type of thing, so there may be some details that I'm leaving out, but I think you get the idea. Just be careful that the disk allocation is correct for each of the new sessions before you start editing or deleting anything so you don't get into trouble.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 06-29-2001, 04:48 PM

OR......Just save your settings on the plugin itself.
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: ThisBeatsWorking ]
Old 06-29-2001, 04:50 PM

There is an easier way. It involves a few steps, but it's really the slickest and quickest way. I'll write this as if you were a beginner, which you are probably not, but it makes a better guide. I suggest you read this thru before you go ahead, maybe print a copy.

All the operations I've described below that are carried out in ProTools are done in the edit window

1) Open up the session with the plugs & settings you want.

2) Choose "Save Session As" and save the session with a new name. (Precaution)

3) Delete any tracks that are useless for you in the other songs.

4) Delete unused playlists - access this from the playlist-selector on the tracks (once for audio in any audio track, once for midi in any midi track)

5) In the "audio pool menu":
Choose "select all" and then choose "clear selected". In the prompt you get, DON'T CHOOSE DELETE, choose "Clear from Session".
(If you want to clear any midi, do that in the "midi pool menu")

6) I suggest you rename the tracks so that they will not interfere with any tracks in your other sessions.

7) Route any busses so that they will not interfere with any bus routing in your other session.

8) Save, it's now a template

9) You will import this template into your other sessions. Always import to a session-copy (better safe than sorry).
So, make a copy of the session-file in each session you will transfer the template to. (not copies with audiofiles etc, let your sessions stay in the folders were they are, and just finder-copy the single session-file for each session.)

10) Open up the application "Track Transfer". Press open in the left half. Choose the template you just created.

11) Now open up a session you wanna transfer to in the right half. Select the tracks in the left half (shift-click the top and bottom tracks to select all).

12) Select the track-handling option "make copies" (rather than "reference original") to avoid problems with disk allocation (Not that I think you would have any).

13) Press "transfer".

To do your next transfer, all you have to do is press open in the right part again, choose the next session to go, and then press transfer again. Do this to all the sessions you wanna transfer to.

Almost done, now:

14) When you open up a session you've transfered to you'll see the imported tracks at the bottom. Don't go there quite yet.

15) A slick way to move your audio tracks to their new destinations is to simply create a new empty playlist on each original track. This unbinds your playlists.

16) Go to your new tracks and select the appropriate playlists.

That's it! Feel free to ask me if anything is unclear.

Ben
Old 06-29-2001, 07:28 PM

Track transfer dont exist no more..
But all good tips
What about general levels, i.e the rough mix is that kept in templates?, I never 'looked'...
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 06-30-2001, 10:42 AM

Track transfer might not exist, but now you have "Import Track from Other Session" in the file menu... My <blink>super-favorite</blink> new handy tool!
Old 07-04-2001, 04:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jules:
Track transfer dont exist no more..
But all good tips
What about general levels, i.e the rough mix is that kept in templates?, I never 'looked'...
Jules
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naturalment, Jules. You're importing the tracks - with all their settings intact, except for auto, unless you take great pains to make something useful about transfering auto, unless you are briginging the audio with it.

So track transfer is dead? Well, I assume the new tool Philthy mentioned would generally do the same job. (I'm still at 5.0.1, I'm waiting for a new G4 to go to 5.1.1)

Ben and his ninetysixxers