Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2016, 03:31 AM

Default iPad app for playing roughly synced video?

Is there an iPad app that will sync to MTC over WiFi/USB and play a video? I'm looking for a way to play to video whilst sitting at an (upright) piano. I guess an alternative is to use a VNC viewer but I imagine that playing the video directly from the iPad would be better quality.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:53 AM

Default Re: iPad app for playing roughly synced video?

I have never seen an app for that. But I think it would be pretty easy to find an inexpensive computer screen with no stand that would sit on the piano. You could send HDMI and power to it. Or get a monitor with a VESA mount and use the Ergotron arm clamped to the piano lid to hold it.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I have never seen an app for that. But I think it would be pretty easy to find an inexpensive computer screen with no stand that would sit on the piano. You could send HDMI and power to it. Or get a monitor with a VESA mount and use the Ergotron arm clamped to the piano lid to hold it.
Yes, this is probably the simplest and most reliable solution. I will investigate... (not that I want to clamp anything to my piano!)

Edit: maybe one of these USB-powered external monitors would be an idea, I'd never seen these before:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/my-first-...173278824.html
http://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-monitors

Last edited by LukeHoward; 09-26-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM

Both Air Display as well as Neyrink's V-Control can display your pro tools video screen on your iPad remotely over WiFi. However I don't know if the sync is reliable enough.

Your safest bet would likely be a small computer monitor and a long cable, as others have mentioned.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Thanks for all the advice folks. This one looks good, it has HDMI in:

https://www.portablemonitors.com.au/...s/gechic-1101p
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

You can try the Duet Display app on the iPad to send your monitor wirelessly.
Haven't tried myself though.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
Both Air Display
I have Air Display and I find it laggy and not as useful as I hoped. I thought I could put the LUFS meter on it, but the size issue of the plugin window was hard to get right. Once I did, it was not all that great. Same with video, it looks swimmier and less reliable than Ryan Lochte.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 AM

Unfortunately Duet Display does not work over Wi-Fi, it is a wired connection only.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 01-05-2017, 02:47 PM

As mentioned already, Duet Display (just got this myself - it was on sale!) works well and has lots of potential with Pro Tools ... as long as your piano is within reach of a long Lightning/USB cable. It is also available for Windows.

Feels like a mini Slate Raven (I guess ... not tried one) to the side of my iMac to tweak plugins, display meters or video. It apparently uses up some GPU/CPU but offers lots of options for different frame/refresh rates, Retina displays, etc. ... and they've just added the new OSX Touch Bar for Sierra, which might be interesting for desktop users if Avid choose to support this e.g. like Adobe apparently are.

If a cable ocnnection is out of the question, I wonder if Astropad might work (works over Wi-Fi as well as cable) - this is designed as a graphics input device (like products from e.g. Wacom) and, unlike Duet Display that allows you to use an iPad as an extra display or as a mirror of the main display, Astropad only mirrors a selected area of your main display (zoom level easily adjusted e.g. from within the app). There are some tradeoffs with screen refreshes compared to Duet Display as each is designed for different applications.

You can try the iPhone version of Astropad for free to see if this might work for you, before paying for the iPad version.

To end this 'mini review' (both are fresh in my mind!), one thing I like about Astropad is the simple Mac installation - apparently just the app itself, which just has to be run concurrently with the iOS app. Duet Display installs its own driver which appears to have the same effect as when one switches to any other external display e.g. Airplay, with a few flickers/flashes of black screens (unlike Astropad).

Hope this helps! :)

Edit - not normally in this section (Post - Surround - Video) and responded to what I thought was a recent post ... over three months after the event! Hopefully will help others :)

Last edited by Righty27; 01-06-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
As mentioned already, Duet Display (just got this myself - it was on sale!) works well and has lots of potential with Pro Tools ... as long as your piano is within reach of a long Lightning/USB cable. It is also available for Windows.

Feels like a mini Slate Raven (I guess ... not tried one) to the side of my iMac to tweak plugins, display meters or video. It apparently uses up some GPU/CPU but offers lots of options for different frame/refresh rates, Retina displays, etc. ... and they've just added the new OSX Touch Bar for Sierra, which might be interesting for desktop users if Avid choose to support this e.g. like Adobe apparently are.

If a cable ocnnection is out of the question, I wonder if Astropad might work (works over Wi-Fi as well as cable) - this is designed as a graphics input device (like products from e.g. Wacom) and, unlike Duet Display that allows you to use an iPad as an extra display or as a mirror of the main display, Astropad only mirrors a selected area of your main display (zoom level easily adjusted e.g. from within the app). There are some tradeoffs with screen refreshes compared to Duet Display as each is designed for different applications.

You can try the iPhone version of Astropad for free to see if this might work for you, before paying for the iPad version.

To end this 'mini review' (both are fresh in my mind!), one thing I like about Astropad is the simple Mac installation - apparently just the app itself, which just has to be run concurrently with the iOS app. Duet Display installs its own driver which appears to have the same effect as when one switches to any other external display e.g. Airplay, with a few flickers/flashes of black screens (unlike Astropad).

A little off this topic. Have you ever tried to edit audio with a stylus or apple pencil with Duet Display or Astropad?

Hope this helps! :)

Edit - not normally in this section (Post - Surround - Video) and responded to what I thought was a recent post ... over three months after the event! Hopefully will help others :)