Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2017, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Goodbye Cakewalk!

umm .. this is a pro tools site ... may i sincerely ask why we are bidding CakeWalk a farewell here ??

not that i will miss it or anything .. had a friend that had it years agao it was not a fan ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
umm .. this is a pro tools site ...
true!!!!

moved to General at least.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
umm .. this is a pro tools site ... may i sincerely ask why we are bidding CakeWalk a farewell here ??

not that i will miss it or anything .. had a friend that had it years agao it was not a fan ..

cheers john
Many of us were previously Cakewalk user and have a lot of respect and appreciation for how they help us make music. They were the forerunners of many of the features we use today. Like the first DAW software to go 64bit on a 64bit operating system with Windows XP 64bit If i'm remembering correctly (its been so long ago). I think they where the first to do quick bounce and export of audio files, they also started the direct X plugin architecture for low latency plugins, plugin folders and the list goes on and on. They also had a tight relationship with Microsoft taking advantage of the OS bells and whistle that would make their DAW faster and more powerful.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:

cheers john
There's a big world out there. All DAWs and other homogeneous software share many common characteristics. Many of us have used SONAR and Pro Tools, and the demise of a major competitor of Pro Tools is noteworthy. You will find a couple of Cakewalk threads that have appeared on this AVID Forum with quite a few participants. Makes for an intelligent discussion by serious users of many platforms.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 PM

Cakewalk was my first DAW. I haven't used it in years, but I'm surprised to see it discontinued.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Gibson kills off Cakewalk

Hi all you Guys & Gals in PRO TOOLS ,
I am here 'DOWNUNDER' ( ie: Australia) still reeling from the ' collapse ' of Cakewalk SONAR after faithfully following and supporting it's inspirational progress for the past 30 Years .
Just imagine your ( and Now ...respectfully MY .. DAW ... Pro Tools suddenly announcing it 'Has Had Enough' and is redirecting its efforts specifically to say ....'Audio Interfaces'.
This is the World we are living in.
One minute it all looks so 'as expected' and 'Rosy'..........the next............'The Powers That Be ' ..............Pull the rug out from beneath you.
I am sure many of you have dealt with such in your 'REAL JOBS'.

The word that springs to mind is 'TRUST'.
Not sure how to frame this but we need to ponder the word..........TRUST
Old 11-28-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
Cakewalk was my first DAW. I haven't used it in years, but I'm surprised to see it discontinued.
Same here; I still have a bunch of discs with old Sonar projects on them as well as the program itself on an old Windows laptop (running XP) I keep around for sentimental reasons. It was a strong program at the time and had a lot of things that some daws are just catching up to.

A sidebar to Sonar going away is what's going to happen with the guitar division? Is that to be no more as well? Given the lack of consistent quality in current Les Pauls a shake up like this might be a good thing.

QAPLA!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Will Avid be offering any kind of crossgrades for abandoned Cakewalk users? I haven't used Cakewalk in many years, but it seems like a nice opportunity for Avid to add to its PC marketshare. From what I can see Presonus quickly pounced and is probably going to pick up most of those users.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Same here. Cakewalk was my first DAW on a PC. (I actually began using Dr. T's KCS on the Atari ST computer system) Still have some old Cakewalk files stored on some old backup CD somewhere. Some of my first attempts at multi-tracking. As I recall, you could go right to score page on it, too.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Will Avid be offering any kind of crossgrades for abandoned Cakewalk users? I haven't used Cakewalk in many years, but it seems like a nice opportunity for Avid to add to its PC marketshare. From what I can see Presonus quickly pounced and is probably going to pick up most of those users.
Not going to happen. Avid doesn't do crossgrades from other daws period. MOTU does do crossgrades for DP from multiple different kinds of music s/w but not Avid.

QAPLA!