Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 12 Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Can't record at a low buffer !!!!! Help !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Man I did ALL of that stuff over a period of 2 years. Nothing worked. I had enough of it with embarrassing CPU spikes in front of clients. While recording, at even as low at 256, the system usage would be around 6 to 10%...then unexpectedly..BAM...CPU spikes and recording stops. Even with a freshly installed OS and only PT installed with no network settings on, printers or hard drives connected and a session with 1 track...literally the most simplest system I could install to make it work. Did the CPU cache fill up and cause a spike?? Have no idea. Like I said before, seems like people with 6 core machines had it better than with a 12 core. My unofficial and uneducated guess is that these 12 core configurations cannot handle real time audio processing very well. It struggles when it comes to sending audio in, quickly processing it and spitting it out fast for low latency. After 2 years of trying everything, that is my conclusion.

Funny thing is that sometimes the buffer will change to 256 or lower and I'll still get CPU spikes and the system will stop....even with HDX. Maybe I'm opening older sessions where that low buffer was saved and that's why it changes. But it still happens. Fortunately I change it to the highest buffer, still with no noticeable latency with HDX, and all is fine.

The buffer is not saved in a session.

Something seems very wrong here, if you were getting CPU spikes with HDX I suspect you had native plugin in the session. I would have debugged those plugins very closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk