Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-29-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Re: HDX with older Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is what a spell checker does to a mistyped resource fork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Got it

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what version of HDX you are talking about etc. Sone open with HDX running Pro Tools 10... if so the ones that don’t are possibly corrupted. When did they last work? On the exact same storage device? Were they moved? How over what filesystems? You got other session archives?

AFAIK Pro Tools 10 was the last version that supported reading SDII files. You don’t need HD hardware or HD software or even any external interface to just open a session then save and do the conversion from SDII audio files. We are talking Mac only here of course.

Having mangled or corrupt SDII files, especially because of missing audio forks is super common, so the first thing you want to do is just confirm you can open your original sessions/audio files OK in Pro Tools 10 or earlier.

You have to pay attention to running Pro Tools 10 on a compatible OS release. That might require you do a full clean OS X install.
Awesome. I was thinking I had to have hardware connected (whether it was a core card or an I/O. I thought I might could skate by on not having the I/O, but was pretty sure a card would be required for the software to start.

So in theory I can just install PT10 with no process cards and pop the ilok in to my old mac. Open the session and save the copy with the conversion to .wav and be good. That's great!!!

Thanks for the help. I was worried I sold my cards too quick. Somehow I missed all the info on SD2 files being phased out and not converted anymore.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Default HDX with older Mac Pro

You need to select “Built-In Output” as the playback engine, hold down ‘N’ when Pro Tools is starting.

You need to check before doing anything that the OS and Pro Tools 10 are compatible. And do not try to have multiple Pro Tools versions installed under one boot partition.

Be very careful moving around these sessions, you can lose resource forks just backing up to the wrong filesystem/device.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 PM

From PT9 and onwards you don't need any hardware from Avid connected in order to run PT. Of course it is always better with an interface but for mixing and editing and file conversions the internal sound cards works great. We do this on the road all the time withmacbook pro's and a few headphones and that is on songs thats released for big artists. Mastered afterwards of course by pros but mixed and edited pretty much on MBP's with 8 and 16GB ram.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-29-2017, 03:56 PM

If you get in a bind, I have an old G4 rig that runs 7.4LE and I keep it around just for converting older SD II sessions

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you get in a bind, I have an old G4 rig that runs 7.4LE and I keep it around just for converting older SD II sessions
Thanks Albee! I've been away from the forums for a while but you have always been awesome to help!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
You need to select “Built-In Output” as the playback engine, hold down ‘N’ when Pro Tools is starting.

You need to check before doing anything that the OS and Pro Tools 10 are compatible. And do not try to have multiple Pro Tools versions installed under one boot partition.

Be very careful moving around these sessions, you can lose resource forks just backing up to the wrong filesystem/device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
From PT9 and onwards you don't need any hardware from Avid connected in order to run PT. Of course it is always better with an interface but for mixing and editing and file conversions the internal sound cards works great. We do this on the road all the time withmacbook pro's and a few headphones and that is on songs thats released for big artists. Mastered afterwards of course by pros but mixed and edited pretty much on MBP's with 8 and 16GB ram.
Thanks guys!! Great info. I appreciate all the help!! I'll have to dig out the "old" mac pro and give it a shot.