Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 AM

Default Digi 002 I/O Issues

I have had this problem for a long time and have wanted to ask the questions here but just not sure how to frame, or if anyone would have an answer: I record my vocals. I change nothing in terms of the line inputs: volume, effects etc. However, if I have to re-sing something the recorded wave would be much softer of up to a more than ten decibels difference. Of course one expects than in re-cording there will be differences in volume but just not the way I am experiencing it. I just took a look at the I/O's and I didn't see anything wrong with them. I often reboot the computer and that helps but its not to any great degree. I have been suspicious that it might be the microphone cord. but I don't know if that's possible. If not it could be the DIGI 002. I know its not the computer because it happens on both my Mac Mini and Mac HD. If its the Mic: AKG 414 Buls, then I just as well get rid of it. Because I cannot believe a microphone could be that temperamental. Besides I have had it cleaned and repaired twice outside of even thinking of it as having that issue. So I don't think the issue lies with the Buls. The issue started after swapping out 001 for 002. I don't use the 002 equipment that much (I basically do my scoring with Sibelius then put the wave in Protools, and the process is usually pretty long before the finished product) that is why the problem has been bearable for so long. But I have today decide that enough is enough! So instead of gaining which is time consuming and ineffective, I might see if someone here might have an idea what the problem might be.

So again if anyone has any ideas about this phenom. please let me know
Thanks
Soliloquay
Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 I/O Issues

There can only be a few things... you have to troubleshoot systematically

Do all input channels/preamps behave the same?
Make sure no input pad is engaged.
What is the mic gain set to, does adjusting that affect things as you expect?
Is phantom power on and phantom voltage reasonable (measure it)?
Try a different mic
Try a different cable (cables can easily cause -3dB loss with wiring problems, maybe more).

How are you measuring level? Make sure you are not being confused by pre/post-fader metering.

If needed use signal generator to inject a signal into the preamp and see if it is behaving as expected.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-24-2019 at 11:58 AM.