How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Big Sur

Email from Waves this AM

"We are happy to announce that all Waves V12 plugins and Waves V11 applications (eMotion LV1, SuperRack, SoundGrid Studio, StudioRack, SoundGrid Driver) are now officially supported on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 on Intel-based Mac computers.

New Macs with Apple M1 (ARM-based) processors are not yet officially supported.

IMPORTANT: Please note that many DAWs do not yet support macOS Big Sur. Please refer to your DAW’s website to check if this is the right time for you to update your OS.

Haven't updated your plugins to V12 yet? Learn how to update to V12 here.

As always, we recommend referring to our System Requirements and Supported hosts pages before any system updates/upgrades.

All best,

The Waves Team"
Old 11-25-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Hmm. That two people saying Waves works with Big Sur.
By the way, I'm on Waves 11 not 12.

Ran more tests today. Still no issues that I have found.

2018 MAC Mini i7 64 gb
Profire 2626
Presonus Studio 192
Presonus DP88
Pro Tools 2020.11
Big Sur.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:40 AM

I got an email from Waves tech support telling me that "Waves products are not supported to run with an OS installed NOT on the main drive. They suspect that might be issue".
Old 11-27-2020, 10:03 AM

Alright, this was odd. I was installing Komplete and found that I needed to remove reaktor 5 from my plugin folder before reaktor 6 would be recognized as a legit aax plugin. Just removed 5, reinstalled 6 and all is well. Oddly enough, 5 worked but wouldnt authorize. Everything else from ni seems to work well. Just about have all my plugins reinstalled. I now remember why I had been avoiding a clean install for this long.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:17 PM

I was hoping to install Big Sur on a backup drive and keep Catalina on my main drive just so I could test drive it and switch back if needed but support at Waves is right, you can't run any of their plugins off of an external drive so I'll have to make that jump like some of you did and install it on my internal drive. Not 100% sure yet but I'm leaning towards it.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
I was hoping to install Big Sur on a backup drive and keep Catalina on my main drive just so I could test drive it and switch back if needed but support at Waves is right, you can't run any of their plugins off of an external drive so I'll have to make that jump like some of you did and install it on my internal drive. Not 100% sure yet but I'm leaning towards it.
If you make your backup drive your boot drive, does that make it your "main" drive?" I thought that as long as the boot drive has the operating system, it acts as the primary drive (main drive). Hence if you have waves installed on that boot drive, it "should" work properly. Again I don't have waves so I can't verify this.

It sounds like you still boot from your Catalina internal drive but load Big Sur from the backup drive. On a Mac, you can switch which drive it boots to and therefore enable it to boot to different operating system version based on which drive it boots from. I'm not sure if this is clear but you might try making your backup drive a bootable Big Sur drive and install Protools 2020.11 and Waves on there (never touching your Catalina drive if you don't want to)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-27-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
If you make your backup drive your boot drive, does that make it your "main" drive?" I thought that as long as the boot drive has the operating system, it acts as the primary drive (main drive). Hence if you have waves installed on that boot drive, it "should" work properly. Again I don't have waves so I can't verify this.

It sounds like you still boot from your Catalina internal drive but load Big Sur from the backup drive. On a Mac, you can switch which drive it boots to and therefore enable it to boot to different operating system version based on which drive it boots from. I'm not sure if this is clear but you might try making your backup drive a bootable Big Sur drive and install Protools 2020.11 and Waves on there (never touching your Catalina drive if you don't want to)
About the only thing I haven’t tried is to go into the system preferences and make my external back up drive be my boot up drive, although I would think that holding down the option key and selecting my back up drive would basically do the same thing since it’s booting fresh off of that drive. My back up drive clones my main internal drive every night so they’re identical. Waves works fine when I booted off the internal drive but will not with an external. The tech-support guy at waves basically told me that waves wouldn’t work that way. I honestly don’t see how it would know which drive since they are identical but who knows.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:08 PM

Ok. So I’ve been running Big Sur for a while and came across 2 things.

1. I can’t make new folders from any pro tools dialog box like bounce to disk or new session.

2. Can’t save plug-in presets in the root plugins folder. Had to change this pref and move the root to another drive. Then everything was working.

I guess both of these have to do with the way Big Sur locks the boot volume and requires apps to obtain permission for accessing discs. The folder thing is annoying, but making the save folder in the finder before bouncing isn’t a huge deal. Everything else has been working well and I’ve been mixing away hassle free.

Last edited by reflexson; 01-10-2021 at 01:24 PM.