Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-09-2020, 11:46 PM

Default Upgrade to HD Software Questions

I have read everything I could here and on Avid.com, but remain confused about upgrading to PT HD. I currently have PT standard perpetual license. I just bought a used HD I/O 8x8x8 interface with external Pci-Native module from a friend.

Can I continue to use PT Standard as-is (with my improved hardware)?

Do I need to upgrade software to better use the features of the new hardware?

Is an upgrade available for PT HD software - is there such a thing, or must I buy PT Ultimate.

To use the HD Native card, must I purchase a separate DigiLink license since I bought it used?

My setup:
Dell XPS 15 laptop with plenty of RAM, 1TB SSD, 1TB external SSD, plenty of Thunderbolt connections
LYNX Hilo that I’m using for master converters, monitor controller
Windows 10
Pro Tools 2020.9

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Upgrade to HD Software Questions

It is now called Ultimate not HD.

You need Pro Tools Ultimate to work at all, and a DigiLink License which yes you will need to purchase unless the previous owner transfers to you. I am not sure there is an upgrade from Standard, you may have to purchase or subscribe to Pro Tools Ultimate. For many of these questions you are best off calling a sales rep at Sweetwater or Vintage King.

But I question why you are doing this, unless you need more than 32x32 IO there is really no reason to go with DigiLink hardware. You can likely buy better sounding hardware to add to or expand your Lynx setup for less than what the Ultimate software and ongoing subscriptions or upgrade fees will cost you. And if you want Thunderbolt access to single box solutions without all the DigiLink complexity. If it was mine I would sell the Avid hardware and go buy a UAD Apollo or Motu box or similar... many to choose from. Presumably you don’t need the extra software features of Pro Tools Ultimate or you would already be using them. And unless you have the DigiLink option for the HiLo you can only use the Lynx as an ADAT, SPDIF or AES/EBU preamp if you want to run it with the 8x8x8. It is a whole other story if you need more than 32x32 IO with Pro Tools, and/or the advanced capabilities of Ultimate.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-10-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:17 AM

Long story short. For HD hardware you need HD/Ultimate software, will not work with standard software. For DigiLink and 12.6 or later software you need DigiLink license, will not work with 12.6 or later without license.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is now called Ultimate not HD.

You need Pro Tools Ultimate to work at all, and a DigiLink License which yes you will need to purchase unless the previous owner transfers to you. I am not sure there is an upgrade from Standard, you may have to purchase or subscribe to Pro Tools Ultimate. For many of these questions you are best off calling a sales rep at Sweetwater or Vintage King.

But I question why you are doing this, unless you need more than 32x32 IO there is really no reason to go with DigiLink hardware. You can likely buy better sounding hardware to add to or expand your Lynx setup for less than what the Ultimate software and ongoing subscriptions or upgrade fees will cost you. And if you want Thunderbolt access to single box solutions without all the DigiLink complexity. If it was mine I would sell the Avid hardware and go buy a UAD Apollo or Motu box or similar... many to choose from. Presumably you don’t need the extra software features of Pro Tools Ultimate or you would already be using them. And unless you have the DigiLink option for the HiLo you can only use the Lynx as an ADAT, SPDIF or AES/EBU preamp if you want to run it with the 8x8x8. It is a whole other story if you need more than 32x32 IO with Pro Tools, and/or the advanced capabilities of Ultimate.
Thank you for your help.

I bought this equipment from a friend who needed the cash, having lost his job because of COVID. I actually overpaid him, but that's what friends do.

I am venturing into orchestral sized composing on Sibelius, but don't think I'll ever need 32x32 IO. So, I have the equipment, and want to make the best use of it regardless of my future IO requirements.

Regarding the Hilo, I am currently using a USB version connected to my laptop and to an Audient ASP880 preamp rack via optical. I am using inputs 9-16 to access eight very cool outboard analog preamps (Neumann V476b, Trident 80B, Ted Fletcher P-10). Effectively, the Hilo is just an interface where I can use the two channels of converters on the two bus, and route via AES to a Drawmer MC3.1 monitor controller for all my speakers. Is there any reason why I can't keep the same arrangement with the HD IO replacing the Audient ASP880? I can get a Thunderbolt card from Lynx for the Hilo - how would I best use it in concert with the HD IO?

I am a very good Pro Tools recordist, but as you can see, my hardware knowledge is a weakness.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
Thank you for your help.

I bought this equipment from a friend who needed the cash, having lost his job because of COVID. I actually overpaid him, but that's what friends do.

I am venturing into orchestral sized composing on Sibelius, but don't think I'll ever need 32x32 IO. So, I have the equipment, and want to make the best use of it regardless of my future IO requirements.

Regarding the Hilo, I am currently using a USB version connected to my laptop and to an Audient ASP880 preamp rack via optical. I am using inputs 9-16 to access eight very cool outboard analog preamps (Neumann V476b, Trident 80B, Ted Fletcher P-10). Effectively, the Hilo is just an interface where I can use the two channels of converters on the two bus, and route via AES to a Drawmer MC3.1 monitor controller for all my speakers. Is there any reason why I can't keep the same arrangement with the HD IO replacing the Audient ASP880? I can get a Thunderbolt card from Lynx for the Hilo - how would I best use it in concert with the HD IO?
The HD IO 8x8x8 has 8 analog line level inputs, 8 analog line level outputs and 8 digital inputs and outputs. You should read the manual for that an understand it's configurability, especially the digital IO card vs chassis IO options, but for external preamps sure just shove them into the line level inputs... but that is unlikely to give you anything any better sound or performance wise than you get with those preaps today. You will have more outputs, and you have more spare digital outputs (which you could reuse with your ADAT preamp or the Lynx.

The most expansive/flexible (and expensive) IO option if you are running HD IO would be to put a Lynx Digilink card in the HiLo and it just appears as more Digilink IO within Pro Tools it will emulate an 8x8x8 or something, you'll have to read the manual. Lynx stuff emulating Avid interfaces doing this takes a little care/getting your head around. Read all the documentation. If you don't want to do that then just connect stuff ADAT or SPDIF or AES/EBU... but especially with the HD IO digital IO again you have to read the manual to understand the digital IO card and chassis digital IO configuration options, you can't have them all in use at the same time.

Personally I suspect the Lynx HiLo has the best converters and I might try to use that for critical recording, regardless how the digital signal is routed through Digilink or ADAT or whatever.

Quote:
I am a very good Pro Tools recordist, but as you can see, my hardware knowledge is a weakness.
But the question should not be about hardware... do you need the Ultimate software for any reason except to support the HD hardware? And if you don't need the HD hardware... then you are just getting yourself trapped into making silly decisions. Put the HD hardware on EBay and sell it.

The HD hardware is not "high definition" and not any better sounding or performing (except in maxxum IO count with Pro Tools) than other things you can buy, or you likey already have. ... Unless you are seeing atrocious small IO buffer performance... and if you are you are likely better off trying to fix that now because if it's terrible with the Lynx USB it won't be good with HD Native. HD Native might be a bit better than USB on latency, but so many typical workloads are CPU processing/CPU error constraints in Pro Tools. And Pro Tools HD Native hardware based monitoring is a restrictive confusing mess.

But by all means rock on, pick up the phone and call Sweetwater and buy a copy of Pro Tools Ultimate for $2,600, and then pay ~$400 per year for upgrades in subsequent years.... and that's assuming your friend will transfer you their Digilink license, or you'll need to by one of those as well. Maybe you folks should have swapped licenses as a part of this deal... you take their HD licenses and they get your standard license.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-10-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:52 PM

Darryl,

All your points are well taken. I agree with your assessment.

I will keep the AVID gear, and sell it back to my friend for half what I paid him when he gets another job. I'll be a pawnbroker (at a loss).

Cheers for the advice.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:03 PM

Yep, sorry to be a downer. If you needed the IO capacity or Ultimate features like advanced automation etc. then it's a whole different argument. And one of the things I really like about HD IO boxes is the flexible digital IO capacity compared to many other interfaces... if you need that.