Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 06:37 AM

Default "New" twin 1 Giga or "old" twin 1Giga

"New" twin 1 Giga or "old" twin 1 Giga Mac.
Anyone suggestions, or can someone tell me the major differences for performance ?
Old 09-23-2002, 06:51 AM

Default Re: "New" twin 1 Giga or "old" twin 1Giga

Not a lot of CPU difference in performance. (if any).

Buss bandwidth improvements in the newer model are always welcome (has DDR) Unfortuneately, this doesn't necessarily translate to speed improvements..but it does help with PCI cards and the like.

Added ATA 100 bus..and more room for internal drives in the new one.

Lower cost, retail on the newer one..(although if you can find the older ones..the are probably close in costs).

There's no reason speed wise to pick one over the other. However, everything being equal (price..etc)..there's also no reason not to pick the newer one with it's advantages in other areas.

The one place you have to look is for compatibility. There have been some problems with the 001 in these new macs.

I haven't heard any problems with HD..etc..but do check the compatibility section first.

Bare feats website has a test review (mostly cpu based) between the older and newer 1ghz..as compared to the dual 867 and the new dual 1.25. It showed mostly the older and newer 1 ghz to be equal as far as computing speed. (photoshop tests..altivec tests..etc)

cpu wise..there's not a lot of difference (it's the same cpu design as last years). And although the newer 1ghz has added bandwidth on the bus level (ddr)..it has the same speed and limitation front side bus as last years model.

So, mostly..anything that uses bandwidth on the bus ..such as PCI cards..etc..can find some benefit in the newer models..but computing speed wise...they are nearly identical.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:12 AM

thanks Dc
Old 09-23-2002, 09:05 AM

The new dual 1 Ghz machine seems to be working great with anything I throw at it (using it with an HD system). The ATA 100 bus can handle a lot of tracks - plus between the two ATA busses, you can put in four hard drives. Don't know what the specs are, but the power supply and everything else internally looks like it's greatly beefed up from the previous QS chassis. You can also stick in a second ATA disk burner in addition to the Superdrive. Also, Jagwire comes bundled with the new machines.

The new machines do run hot, however, and that's why the fans aren't as quiet as the QS machines. All in all, it's a more heavy-duty package.

The previous version would probably be just fine, but at this point, it looks like they're mostly gone from the larger retailer websites. You might be able to dig one up somewhere, but if I were you, I'd look for a significant price difference from the new machines.

In computers, newer is ALWAYS better. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lee Blaske
Old 09-23-2002, 09:10 AM

The new dual 867 is significant cheaper than the new 1Giga.
what do you think performance wise for using RTAS on a TDM system.?
Old 09-23-2002, 09:56 AM

I definitely wanted the Superdrive, so that closed some of the gap for me. Also, I don't know if it's HD, the 64 bit chassis I now have, or the faster bus in the new dual 1 Ghz, but all my issues with running big sessions with lots of windows open + video in Logic are gone.

The dual 1 Ghz machine has a little more of everything.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-23-2002, 11:07 PM

I went for the old dual GB for several reasons: it was $500 cheaper; it uses cheaper RAM that I aleady had; you can use the Griffin G Port serial adapter without having to give up a PCI slot for the plug; and it's quieter.

Newer is usually better with computers, but you can't count on that being the case.