Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Can you do audio for video with PT LE?

Can someone please answer this for me once and for all? Can you import video into PTLE? I assume you need the Complete Production Toolkit. But even with that, does the video show on the timeline and allow you to sync audio to it?

In other words, can you do post production with LE or do you need to have HD?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Can you do audio for video with PT LE?

Yes of course, PTLE has been able to work with video for a long time now even without any Toolkit add-ons. The DV Toolkit or Complete Toolkit will give you the SMPTE ruler (as well as some other very good features for Post work), but even that isn't really that necessary if you have burned-in time code. I do Post (Music Editing) for TV and Film Soundtracks daily on my 002r rig while working to video and have been doing so through several versions of PTLE quite successfully.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM

You can import Quicktime video into LE. I've done several projects using QT.

The key is to have time code burned into the video, then you don't need to worry as much about having a SMPTE timeline in PT. You will see a separate, re-sizable window with the movie running in it. You can even run the video on your 2nd monitor..

You don't need HD for basic sound-for-video. You don't even need the SMPTE ruler if you have the code burned in.

You get some nice convenience options with the DV Toolkit2 and the Complete Production Kit, but they aren't vital.

There's a whole chapter in the PT8 Reference Manual discussing how to do video and synchronization. Some of it applies only to HD, but some of it is also specific to LE.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM

Great responses, thanks.

Can you expand a little on what you get with the DV and Complete Toolkits? I've seen the specs on the website, but it's hard to tell if these things are actually that useful. What specifically has helped your production, if anything?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM

not to barge in, but can you folks explain what it takes to Burn in the Time-code? This is all new to me, and I just recorded a live show Sat night and found out 15 minutes before the show that a video crew was showing up and at some point they want to sync the two. Thanks for the notice! Oh well, is this something I would ask the video guys to do? any help would be great, and I apologize for hijacking the thread, if you want to PM me that is fine as well.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:43 PM

The video people usually just have a checkbox in the software when they are rendering to have the timecode burned in. Any video editor should have no problem giving you burned in timecode. Just make sure they give you QUICKTIME format on a data DVD, not a video DVD or you have to do the ripping and rendering yourself. I ran into a newbie video editor once who didn't have Quicktime. That was a pain.

Since I don't own any of the optional packages, I can only guess as to what would be useful. For instance, having the SMPTE timeline as a separate ruler would make lining up specific stings easier and quicker (I nudge them until they're right). I believe with either toolkit you can also spot to a SMPTE point whereas without it you have to slide it into place or spot to a bar/beat or raw time location.

You get Digitranslator for import/export of OMF files. I've never had a request for OMF myself. I've also heard it's still a bit buggy.

Continuous scrolling is something which is "nice to have", but not a vital feature and am not sure if it would make audio-for-video easier or not.

I don't know what else - for video- is included with the Complete Production Toolkit vs the DV Toolkit 2. You can do a search on the main site for either and see what's included. There are several plugins included with the price as well. They may or may not be useful to you.

You can also download the Reference Guide for any of the add-on options and get more info.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.