Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-04-2023, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Accelerated audio on playback

Why is this in the Legacy Products Pro Tools 12 forum?

What kind of computer are you running this on? Is your version of Pro Tools even compatible with your operating system? You’re clearly running a ProTools version that is at least 2022.9

If you are using a newer MacBook Air your playback e gone should be Pro Tools aggregate unless you are using a dedicated interface.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:20 PM

yeah sorry for the confusion It's my first time posting on a forum ever.
But to answer the question I'm generally using a scarlett 2i2 as an audio interface with the dedicated drivers but I'm currently traveling and didn't take it with me. I bought my mac less than a year ago and just got my pro tools subscription.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:33 PM

it would be very helpful to everyone helping you to provide the steps you used to record the audio that playing back incorrectly.

Exactly which microphone
exactly which interface
exactly the session settings
exactly the playback device when playing back.

try these steps.

Create a new 48k session.
import the audio in question being sure to convert to sample rate upon import. Copy the media, don't just add it.

Play it back in the new session and report back what happens.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:49 PM

Ok so here it is
I'm using an mxl770 as a microphone
my audio interface is a scarlett 2i2 3rd gen from focusrite
I've tried on multiple session with multiple recording and many different settings but here are the settings on the latest one
Capture d’écran 2023-06-04 à 21.44.01.jpg
I've tried that knowing the difference between copy and add and the same thing happens.
If you want more information my computer is a macbook air (M1,2020)
my version of macOS is Monterey (version 12.5) and my version of pro tools 2023.3
Old 06-04-2023, 01:54 PM

and this is the exact configuration you've used to record that audio in question?

Only asking because your previous pictures show otherwise.

I have not seen the 2i2 listed in any of your pictures showing the correct sample rate.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:56 PM

If (and big if since it's confusing...) you are using the same interface and recording into that session and working with a 2i2 then there is no chance of external clocking changes causing this type of thing. As asked for before how *exactly* faster is this playback? measure duration, or pitch of a test tone or any numerous ways to measure this. It will likely be exactly 2x, but you need to measure that. Exactly 2x tells you it is either recording at 1/2x or playing back at 2x. All things you have control of and again are explained in the user documentation. If it's not exactly 2x the exact ratio will likely give other clues.

It is almost guaranteed that every one of these kinds of problems are due to use error. Some can be quite subtle, some funky ones with sample rate changes because of hardware, weird things happening because of stuck keys on keyboards etc. triggering 1/2 record or 2 x playback etc.

But its way past time to stop asking questions and for *you* to solve this problem. You have a high-end digital audio workstation and lots of other tools in front of you that can inspect files, measure pitch shifts, recording time etc. to high precision, can convert sample rates things, etc. All of which you can use let you work out exactly what is going on.

e.g. find the audio file you just recorded. Open it in say Quicktime player. Does it play back at the correct speed/pitch or a faster speed than expected? What sample rate does Quicktime "Window>Show Movie Inspector" say the file is (this relies on the file header data being correct, sometimes it is not). How you prove what sample rate a file thinks it is is actually what is is is you play it if it's at the correct playback speed/pitch then the sample rate Quicktime thinks the file has is correct. If it's pitched wrong then the sample rate info in the audio file is messed up (or you've done something like record at 1/2 speed, again a leading suspect here). But if you know it's pitched wrong, especially exactly 2x then you can always force a correction in Pro Tools import.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-04-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:40 AM

Ok I think there's some confusion here and I'm sorry if I've been unclear but the problem isn't about a particular audio that I recorded and I'm trying to fix.
My problem is about all my recordings being accelerated no matter the audio interface (external or internal).
Right now if I record something just for testing it will end up being accelerated and it doesn't matter if I'm creating a new session to do so or not.
I've ruled out the possibility of use error because I've tried trashing my preferences (twice) and uninstalling and reinstalling pro tools (twice also).
Also I don't have access to a numerical keyboard which is necessary to custom shuttle lock speed.
I've exported one of my recordings and opened with quicktime. The movie inspector says the sample rate is 48K which is the same as my session but what's weird is that if I try playing the audio at 50% speed my voice is still pitched even though when I was doing the same thing on pt my voice was normal again at half speed.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:15 AM

At this point you should share a session with this anomaly for someone to take a look at.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:25 AM

I've asked for the help of one of my teachers I'm waiting for his response
Old 06-06-2023, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBATUKAM View Post
Ok I think there's some confusion here and I'm sorry if I've been unclear but the problem isn't about a particular audio that I recorded and I'm trying to fix.
My problem is about all my recordings being accelerated no matter the audio interface (external or internal).
Right now if I record something just for testing it will end up being accelerated and it doesn't matter if I'm creating a new session to do so or not.
I've ruled out the possibility of use error because I've tried trashing my preferences (twice) and uninstalling and reinstalling pro tools (twice also).
You have just scratched the surface of ruling out user error. And the cause of what is happening here is very likely to be user error.

Quote:
Also I don't have access to a numerical keyboard which is necessary to custom shuttle lock speed.
And you have no keyboard utilities or other things installed that emulate a number pad?

But why are you focusing on shuttle speed?

How many times here do we need to keep pointing out that 1/2 speed recording as a likely thing to look at?

Quote:
I've exported one of my recordings and opened with quicktime. The movie inspector says the sample rate is 48K which is the same as my session but what's weird is that if I try playing the audio at 50% speed my voice is still pitched even though when I was doing the same thing on pt my voice was normal again at half speed.
One thing at a time. If you have a recoding made in Pro Tools and the sample rate in the header of that file matches the session sample rate but the audio sounds sped up 2x then that is the *exact* thing you would see with 1/2 speed recording. So again take that suspect and try to exclude it.

Have you mapped keyboard keys?

How *exactly* are you starting record and playback in Pro Tools?

Is your keyboard shift key broken? sticking down? That would cause 1/2 speed recording and somehow becomes unstuck to allow full speed playback?

---

You are confusing yourself with Quicktime Player, it is doing what it is designed to do. It's not a DAW its a media player, it's deliberately pitching down faster playback to sound normal. Many players do this. You could have checked this with a test signal, etc. if unsure.